New.....but trying to understand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jpsmith270

New.....but trying to understand

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:11 am

I have been hunting for approx. 20+ years, but this way of hunting and scouting is new to me and I have been casually following over the past year. I have been fortunate enough to take many deer and some nice bucks, but I would like to have more consistent chances each season and become a better hunter.

I will be hunting a new piece of public land this year and I am trying to form a gameplan as to how I will scout and hunt it this coming year. I, of course, have many questions but will only focus in on a couple:

1.) I have noticed that Dan hunts a lot of evenings as he is setting up on beds, but how do you all hunt the mornings in relation to the beds you have found? Are you simply hunting food sources, funnels, etc.?

2.) As bucks bed on the leeward sides of points/hills, where are they going when night falls? Do they typically go to the bottoms they are watching, back up towards the top, or do they travel the 1/3 along the hillside? I have only scouted this land a couple of times and have yet mastered the art of finding beds, but when I do I am uncertain as to how or where to set-up on the evening hunts based upon the direction the buck will go once sun sets.

I appreciate this site and the work that goes into it. I hunt in upstate South Carolina and the land I will be hunting is mainly mature timber with rolling hills, hardwood bottoms and pine ridges. I have seen a lot of fresh deer sign, but just trying to put it all together and learn how to hunt it based upon how they travel it.

Thanks again,

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: New.....but trying to understand

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:27 am

Welcome to the Beast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:47 am

Welcome and what county are you hunting in SC. I hunted Cherokee County extensively in the early 2000s as well as some in Oconee Cnty, really would love to get back to Oconee.
Anyway as to the exit from the beds its normally toward whatever he wants most, whether it be food, water, or does.
Bed hunting isnt as conducive to morning hunts for alot of reasons so its mostly an evening game.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:51 am

I am hunting in York and Chester counties. I have been in a club for the past 5 years in Fairfield county, but it received more hunting pressure than the public land and most guys began shooting everything that walked even though it was a quality management club.

This new property is much different terrain and timber than what I used to.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:13 am

Welcome to the BEAST 8-)

1.) I have noticed that Dan hunts a lot of evenings as he is setting up on beds, but how do you all hunt the mornings in relation to the beds you have found? Are you simply hunting food sources, funnels, etc.?

Outside of rut most of my focus is on bedding whether its morning or evening. The main difference is in most of the areas I have hunted outside of the rut bucks tend to bed down before daylight and scent check there beds before entry. So Morning hunts have not been as successful for me.

2.) As bucks bed on the leeward sides of points/hills, where are they going when night falls? Do they typically go to the bottoms they are watching, back up towards the top, or do they travel the 1/3 along the hillside? I have only scouted this land a couple of times and have yet mastered the art of finding beds, but when I do I am uncertain as to how or where to set-up on the evening hunts based upon the direction the buck will go once sun sets.

In the morning they generally approach from down wind, but in the evening they can go in any direction regardless to the wind or terrain. I generally let scouting and known destinations dictate which way I will set up. If your hunting a well used bedding area there should be one or more trails leading from the bedding area...
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:15 pm

dan wrote:Welcome to the BEAST 8-)

Outside of rut most of my focus is on bedding whether its morning or evening. The main difference is in most of the areas I have hunted outside of the rut bucks tend to bed down before daylight and scent check there beds before entry. So Morning hunts have not been as successful for me.

In the morning they generally approach from down wind, but in the evening they can go in any direction regardless to the wind or terrain. I generally let scouting and known destinations dictate which way I will set up. If your hunting a well used bedding area there should be one or more trails leading from the bedding area...

Dan.......thanks for the input and for taking the time. Our rut here is SC has been kicking off a little early the past few years. It has been starting around the 3rd week of October and tapering off around mid November. In the past I have normally hunted some food sources at the beginning of October and then move closer to bedding areas for the remaining of October until Mid November. Once December hits (post-rut) I have found myself going back to food sources that are close to thicker bedding areas. I have had success doing this, but I feel that I am leaving a lot on the table every year, but I just don't know how to get to being more consistent. I would love to get to the point that I feel I have a chance every time I enter the woods.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience because very are willing. I would love to attend one of your classes, but I think the only way that could happen is if you decided to move closer South!

Thanks again,

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”