where is the buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: where is the buck?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:17 am

With the main entry from south and west winds - there are obviously a lot of great areas that should be checked out. However, the area that really draws my attention is in the upper northeast section. I highlighted in red where I would look for beds and yellow circles where I would think after scouting might be my initial choices of stand locations. If I was to go in blind this is where I would head for my first hunt. Scouting ahead might confirm it, but this just looks like an area that might offer everything a buck needs and get overlooked by most.

I should add, that since I am more of a morning hunter these are morning stands that would probably also work for evening stands.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:50 am

dan wrote:If your talking only one choice, go for broke, Im placing bets on the isolated spot in the upper left hand corner... I see bubbles circled that spot too...

I was thinking somewhere in the upper left corner too. When I used my Google zoom feature that's where the biggest concentration of trails showed up!!

Okay Magic your turn!!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:54 am

stash59 wrote:
dan wrote:If your talking only one choice, go for broke, Im placing bets on the isolated spot in the upper left hand corner... I see bubbles circled that spot too...

I was thinking somewhere in the upper left corner too. When I used my Google zoom feature that's where the biggest concentration of trails showed up!!

Okay Magic your turn!!

i'm heading out to scout right now. Won't be able to do anything until later tonight.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:01 am

Good luck Magic!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:48 am

The buck is where the hunters are not. Its high pressure sorry couldn't resist

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:50 am

The island with the blue dots would be a high odds home area for a big buck to hide. In low pressure times he will have multiple beds up in those bigger trees. In pressure times he can slide off onto the points or little island clumps nearby.
The yellow dots are a unique grouping of points that could supply multiple bedding options in close proximity.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:34 am

Great looking spot. I really like all the transitions.

Looking forward to hearing about what you have found there Magic.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:12 am

Not knowing the size of the parcel, it looks like I would divide this up into a few segments/days to scout.
I would need to see the topo as another reference as well...

I would start walking transitions noting sign/trails etc. on my GPS.
Look for food sources, understand abutting land and its effects, etc.
Load on Base Camp and review.

If I had to select a spot or section, it would be just left of center and in the middle.
The sliver of timber & 4 or 5 tree circle that is just below the sliver.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Fresh meat here with a general observation. Probably wrong, but hey jump in with the big dogs right!
If we are going solely off the aerial, s access, and west wind, heavy pressure , then it appears to me the east half of the google pic holds more potential spots to bed and allow the buck to utilize his eyes ears and nose effectively given the terrain and those specific conditions..I like the upper left as well.. It also appears from the pic that there is more water in the eastern half, and also more water on the east side of the spot bubbles and Dan circled...So I am goin in to those spots first.

Speaking as a new hunter and member it can be a little awkward throwing out opinions amongst those of the extremely experienced folks here. This type of exercise is fantastic and a wonderful learning tool...Thanks gentleman...

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:46 pm

The spot looks great edges everywhere. Depending on other hunter ease of access would eliMinate a lot and help me narrow down what id check out first.

Other than what alot of people have circled .I like the isolated island somewhat centered but lower on map. It has a few big trees on it like half dozen. I would hope that means the rest is brushy/smaller trees and some of those are oaks.

Edit: I see that Dave circled it too.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:13 pm

I am going on the assumption that darker = wetter for the grassy areas so the first spot i would check is the red dot. But its a shot in the dark. Looks like a place i would enjoy going for a walk in.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:41 pm

fyi the lighter colored stuff is low swamp grass. sometimes this stuff is actually under water. I have company over so I won't have time tonight. thanks to all that played. hopefully tomorrow I can read thru and respond.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:21 pm

Ok I will take a stab, this looks like a fun place to hunt. I too like all the remote clumps in the swamp that are adjacent to larger islands or the transition between the mainland and the swamp. I pointed out a lot of areas on the map but I think walking that main transition would tell you a lot. Look for travel routes in and out of the swamp to the mainland. Or from the mainland to those remote trees or high ground. Also looks like there are some good bowls along the transition which could have a change in foliage from swamp grass to more red brush or thicket which can hold bedding and also provide multi access points for a buck. Depending on the wind it seems like there could be a variety of spots to try.

Depending on where you can access from it would be fun to stage hunt the area. Start out shallow on the transition to the east then work further west north west along the transition as your sightings or sign present itself.

The picture was a little small so I blew it up, but can you see trails in the swamp if you zoom in bing maps or google maps?

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:54 pm

mt008 wrote:Ok I will take a stab, this looks like a fun place to hunt. I too like all the remote clumps in the swamp that are adjacent to larger islands or the transition between the mainland and the swamp. I pointed out a lot of areas on the map but I think walking that main transition would tell you a lot. Look for travel routes in and out of the swamp to the mainland. Or from the mainland to those remote trees or high ground. Also looks like there are some good bowls along the transition which could have a change in foliage from swamp grass to more red brush or thicket which can hold bedding and also provide multi access points for a buck. Depending on the wind it seems like there could be a variety of spots to try.

Depending on where you can access from it would be fun to stage hunt the area. Start out shallow on the transition to the east then work further west north west along the transition as your sightings or sign present itself.

The picture was a little small so I blew it up, but can you see trails in the swamp if you zoom in bing maps or google maps?

I also really like starting with the East side. Looks like this piece could give you many options to hunt it.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:49 am

Red are suspected beds and yellow lines are heavy trails. There were other spots that I could have marked but without seeing the rest of the area it's hard to know which trails are travel corridors and which are bedding trails. I think the best bedding is the upper right with the little islands in the cattails.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”