Thermals an water

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Re: Thermals an water

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:09 pm

If you're in hill country with a slow river at the bottom of the hill how would thermals be affected. Would it pull scent over the water as the sun comes out?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:27 am

cedarsavage wrote:If you're in hill country with a slow river at the bottom of the hill how would thermals be affected. Would it pull scent over the water as the sun comes out?

Think it depends on the size of the river and how open the banks are as wind current might overcome thermals.... but in most cases I would suspect updraft thermals would override the water thermals in the morning... during the evening I think they would both work together and pull your scent right down and then along the flow of the river. The flow of the river can create its own eddies and swirls - the faster the water moves the more likely there will be a circling effect in the wind
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:28 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:If you're in hill country with a slow river at the bottom of the hill how would thermals be affected. Would it pull scent over the water as the sun comes out?

Think it depends on the size of the river and how open the banks are as wind current might overcome thermals.... but in most cases I would suspect updraft thermals would override the water thermals in the morning... during the evening I think they would both work together and pull your scent right down and then along the flow of the river. The flow of the river can create its own eddies and swirls - the faster the water moves the more likely there will be a circling effect in the wind

Thanks for the info. When I was at this spot last Saturday during the heat of the day and could feel a definite updraft. The river is only about 30 yards wide about 70 feet lower than the peak with thick cover on both sides and almost no current.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:14 am

DaveT1963 wrote:

I agree... The only thing I would add is rivers can be different temps... I have seen slow warm creeks, and ice cold trout streams... And often, when you have two thermals working against each other, and an actual wind, the swirling and unpredictable changes can make you want to give up hunting... I try to avoid no win situations. I also agree with Dave, if its warm water might be better for a sit after thermal drop when they are working together.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:28 am

dan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

I agree... The only thing I would add is rivers can be different temps... I have seen slow warm creeks, and ice cold trout streams... And often, when you have two thermals working against each other, and an actual wind, the swirling and unpredictable changes can make you want to give up hunting... I try to avoid no win situations. I also agree with Dave, if its warm water might be better for a sit after thermal drop when they are working together.

Probably leave it for an evening and setup below the trail 1/3 from the top?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:30 am

cedarsavage wrote:
dan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

After the hill is shaded... When the therms are dropping.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:05 am

dan wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:
dan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

And if you can find a North slope (or a large EAST/WEST BEND) down to the river that will be earlier so you can get set up earlier.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:47 am

dan wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:
dan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

Ok thanks

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:49 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
dan wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:
dan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

And if you can find a North slope (or a large EAST/WEST BEND) down to the river that will be earlier so you can get set up earlier.

Thanks I got another likely spot a mile or so downriver that fits this, I'll try to get to that spot this weekend

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:01 am

Thanks I got another likely spot a mile or so downriver that fits this, I'll try to get to that spot this weekend

Only if the sign warrants it, it's just something to keep in mind... Shaded North slopes cool quicker but also loose light faster. If it's unusually hot many times big game will bed on North slopes to stay cool

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:57 am

Good point Dave.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 am

DaveT1963 wrote:

Only if the sign warrants it, it's just something to keep in mind... Shaded North slopes cool quicker but also loose light faster. If it's unusually hot many times big game will bed on North slopes to stay cool

Yeah definitely, it looks promising on Google earth but I haven't spent much time in the area in about 7 years

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”