What to look for - natural ground blinds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

What to look for - natural ground blinds

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:20 am

I'm a big proponent of natural ground blinds. In fact my first potential kill was from a natural blind. I was 13, the doe was nervous (staring at me and head bobbing 10 yards away), and I ended up being so shaken I couldn't draw my bow when she finally turned and walked off. :lol: For me, hunting on the ground has always been a part of deer hunting. Most of my life I had two options when hunting public: find a suitable tree for my crotch stand, or set up on the ground.

I ended up on the ground quite often, and it taught me to set up in the best location, not the best tree.

If you don't hunt from the ground you're missing opportunities. Plain and simple.

Here's a set that I found yesterday:

(This is a small grove of trees with CRP on one side, with cattails and yellow cane on the other.)
I found several rubs on the trails that exit the bedding, and some well used beds out in the cane. There are beds in the grove too and I'm worried about bumping deer while accessing my blind, but it is what it is. You can see that I am using the deadfall that my blind is in for cover as I access, then I swing left to cross the deer trail IN my shooting lane. I'm not expecting movement on the downwind trail heading right to left, but in the event it happens, I still have a shot opportunity. If possible, always cross a trail where you can shoot him. If all goes according to plan, I'll either stop him in the lane, or shoot the second he catches a whiff of my wind or entry trail.

There were a few beds in the little grove, but to me the security of the cane and cattails would draw most of the bedding. This is the view from a couple worn beds, looking toward the trees. I'm kneeling in one of them. Any odd sound will get a buck on his feet, and climbing a tree while he peers through the cane could mean its game over. :? Hanging the LW is a risk I don't need to take in this situation.

There was a blowdown to the left of this pic, on the left side of the grove.

The way the trails work out, the blowdown pictured below can adequately cover the majority of them. It also offers PLENTY of cover for a ground set.

This is the view from the bedding/staging.

Here's the view from Lane #1. See the opening? DAYLIGHT! To me that means easy shooting lanes. Any time you're looking at a possible ground blind and you can see open lanes like this, you're ahead of the game. Minimal trimming is needed. You need to imagine yourself in the middle and shooting under the upside down "U", and also to the trail I'm standing on. Two directions are easily covered. At this point I jumped in to see what I had for lanes in other directions.

Standing just outside the potential blind, looking out the back (downwind) side. All you need is a few small lanes. There is brush in the way, but not near enough to be an issue.

Lane #3. I'm offered two options: 1) low and to the right under the upside down "U", and 2) Left center of the pic just above the main trunk. The decision on which lane to trim is based on where the shot needs to happen in relation to the trail, the amount of effort required for trimming, and the amount of concealment each lane offers.

View of the downwind side from inside the blind.

The right side of Lane #2. There is a trail that leaves the bedding right at this tree, and there are old and new rubs there. There are beds by it too, which I don't like, so a Beast mode sneak to the blind will be important. Crawling slow might be my best option.

LANE #1 BEFORE:
Potential shooting lane covering the exit trail from the yellow cane bedding. You can see the heavy trail on the left side. It makes a "Y" as it leaves the cover, but the predominant trail heads toward the trees. This trail is the biggest risk of getting busted. I SHOULD be able to hear him coming, but in the event he silently appears, I will be positioned and ready for the shot to happen here.

AFTER:
Whether he goes right or left, I have a shot opportunity.

BEFORE PIC OF THE GROUND FLOOR:

AFTER PIC:
Make sure to clear anything and everything that can potentially make noise. Even when you scrape the forest floor clean like this, there will be plenty to remove after a summer of plant growth. Plan ahead. Get in early.

LANE #4 BEFORE:

AFTER:
If a shooter comes from the bedding, he should have an arrow in him long before he reaches this lane. If something unsuspected happens, I have a chance to kill him on the back side of the blind. Note the very small lanes to the left of the main lane. They look pretty small in the picture, but at 20-30 yards they're decent 12-18" pockets to shoot through.

In a perfect world, my wind will be blowing to the right side of this lane. (Left side as viewed on the aerial)

When you're trimming lanes, lots of small lanes are good. Never give up an opportunity for a lane when all you need to do is nip a couple branches. As long as you're not exposing yourself, the more lanes the better. Have you ever had a deer come in and do something you didn't expect? Yeah... it happens. If a random lane is easy, trim it.

The main shooting lane is perfectly acceptable, but what if the wind is blowing strait through it? :think: That could easily happen with the predominant wind. Trimming the little lanes to the left could be the make or break if the wind is iffy. You never know when a few feet could be the difference of a post in Bridge's Bucks in Trucks thread, or tag soup. Make sure you have options.

Lane #3 BEFORE:

AFTER:
I opted for the high shooting lane. I have plenty of backdrop and should be able to see him coming in plenty of time. If at all possible I like to stand and shoot, which I can do in this lane.

You'll see the angle in the before and after pics is slightly different. In a blind like this with adequate cover, moving around shouldn't be a problem. I step way to the back of the blind to take full advantage of the angle of this lane.

LANE #2 BEFORE:

AFTER:
There is a trail that parallels my blind through this lane. Movement will be from right to left. In all of my other lanes I will stand and shoot, but in this one I don't have much cover in front of me. I will crouch behind the large deadfall, draw when he walks behind the log in the center of the pic (or prior to that if he's looking away or preoccupied) and shoot him broadside in the left opening.

All in all this was a pretty simple set. Plenty of cover, great location, took me about an hour from start to finish.

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Re: What to look for - natural ground blinds

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:54 am

Cool setup thanks for posting the before and after pics. That makes a little more clear

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:30 am

Great post. I love hunting from the ground. I started to really do a lot of ground hunting during archery season in 09. Have always done a lot of ground hunting during gun season. I look for something like you show (nautural cover) to hang out for a while before moving on. I cant sit for more than an hour without seeing deer, I like to move a lot.

Couldnt agree more about the importance of a good ground game.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:12 am

That is awesome stuff.

The ground attack can have your heart pounding out of your chest from minimal prep, love it!
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:20 am

8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Cool thanks for good info. My ground game is very weak, I've always thought I could make it happen if I needed to, but I admit I'd be out of my comfort zone in a natural ground blind. I think that's why I'm so fascinated with it, I need to try these more often in areas where climbing isn't a smart choice.

I'm also writing down your advice about crossing a deer trail in a spot where you have a shot/ open lane. Sometimes they sneak in from wrong way and if forced to cross their trail it only makes good sense to cross it where you have a shot at him. I've never considered that small detail but it's noted. Thank you.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Cool thanks for good info. My ground game is very weak, I've always thought I could make it happen if I needed to, but I admit I'd be out of my comfort zone in a natural ground blind. I think that's why I'm so fascinated with it, I need to try these more often in areas where climbing isn't a smart choice.

I'm also writing down your advice about crossing a deer trail in a spot where you have a shot/ open lane. Sometimes they sneak in from wrong way and if forced to cross their trail it only makes good sense to cross it where you have a shot at him. I've never considered that small detail but it's noted. Thank you.

Bonecrusher, it's ok to feel out of your element, and it's ok to screw up. If you try it and screw up, SO WHAT. ;) Have you ever made a mistake from a tree stand? I know I have, many times. Just because you screw up on the ground doesn't make your mistake any worse than if it happened in a tree. Believe me you'll get busted more often on the ground, but the risk is worth the reward.

The best thing you can do for yourself is dive in and do it. The confidence will come in time.

As far as where to cross trails that you can't avoid, IMO it is a very important part of accessing your blind/stand. I got burned a few times back in the day by thinking "I think he'll come from the right side..." So I would cross on the left. Then a buck comes in from the left and hits my scent trail before he gets to my shooting lane. :doh:

Now I take this into consideration before picking shooting lanes. If at all possible, cross where you can shoot him.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:05 am

Lockdown your example and prep is spot on with what I do. Great writeup. You nailed all the major points that I can think of so can't add much - all the way down to being ok with a trail down wind as long as you can shoot there. You always have to consider other deer coming through and busting you first but that level of aggressiveness is often what it takes to get it done. Actually thinking back I have shot many bucks just moments before they were going to smell me, a couple were right as I saw their muscles tense up.

As some know I have always been a proponent of setting up on the ground where possible. Setting up in a prepped natural blind like Lockdown's example is quieter and faster than climbing a tree every time, don't care how good of a lone wolf artist you are. Its not for every spot, after years of trying this and that out I still use a ground setup in only about 1/3 of my setups, but its a great tool. Not to mention it feels great walking in with no stand or tree saddle, no sticks, no safety harness for a change. Freeeeedom!! :lol:

One thing, I am in the process of picking up a recurve for the first time and unfortunately shooting a 62 inch recurve is going to put a crimp in my ground game. Shooting a 34 inch ATA compound I never had to worry about that kind of clearance. I am still figuring out how to adjust to that :think:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:28 am

Do you guys find that a ground blind is the first option? Or only option? I noticed lockdowns stuff...does not seem to be many trees around.

I go through ground blind phases. Its cheap and easy to setup. Give me a handsaw and thats all I need to setup a bullet proof blind. But its lower percentage in spot if I could be in a tree. I do hunt from them because sometimes, there are no other options. It also allows me to be really flexible.

I do get that its quieter into a ground blind.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:08 am

Wow... Thanks for the compliments Joe. It means a lot coming from you.

An interesting side note of this blind in particular: How many branches do you guys think I had to cut off with my hand saw? ONLY ONE. It was the size of a broom handle. I do have a pruner that I use for snipping the small stuff, pencil size and smaller.

This blowdown was mostly dead, so I was able drag a lot of them out of the way or break them in a discrete spot.

Whenever I can, I break limbs rather than cut them. A sawed/cut limb is very noticeable to other hunters and will get their attention. If cutting can't be avoided, I cut right next to the tree. Don't leave a 6" stub for people to notice. Broken limbs happen all the time in nature, limbs that are sawed or cut = human activity.

Being discrete is very important if you don't want others hunting your set up.

I shove broken and sawed ends under logs. I hide the ends in the grass. I don't leave them in a place where someone walking by can see them. This isn't just a ground blind tactic, I do the same thing for stand sets.

If I need to trim out away from the blind, I cut it off as low to the ground as possible. Don't leave a visible stem/trunk, let the grass cover it.

Previously I've mentioned making lots of small lanes instead of fewer, larger lanes. Part of the reason for this it enables me to leave the bigger limbs, and nip the pencil sized stuff.

Some of you might be thinking "You can't trim on public land!" And that's true. That law is in place to prevent people from making major modifications to public property. If trimming was legal people would be using sawzalls and chainsaws. Not good, but let's be real... I can probably count on one hand how many sets I've made that didn't require some sort of trimming. It's just too thick around here. I always keep that law in mind and try to be as respectful as possible.

mermatt83

Unread postby mermatt83 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:17 am

Lockdown, thanks for the great write up, the detailed pics and the encouragement! I really enjoy hunting from the ground too- it's so nice to slip into the woods with hardly anything metal. Question to all of you with a decent amount of ground experience- what is the closest shot you've taken from a natural ground blind? (I'm asking so I can learn how to better set them up)

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:24 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Do you guys find that a ground blind is the first option? Or only option? I noticed lockdowns stuff...does not seem to be many trees around.

I go through ground blind phases. Its cheap and easy to setup. Give me a handsaw and thats all I need to setup a bullet proof blind. But its lower percentage in spot if I could be in a tree. I do hunt from them because sometimes, there are no other options. It also allows me to be really flexible.

I do get that its quieter into a ground blind.

Maine, yes many times a ground blind is my only option. In other cases there are trails I don't want to give up, and a ground blind is a good option when a good tree isn't. The last thing I want to do is pick an inferior set up just to be in a tree.

Often a ground blind leaves me in a better position wind wise. I let the trails and sign tell me what to do. If the best spot is in a tree, I prep a tree. If a ground blind set is the better option, I make a ground blind.

I pride myself in knowing I'm set up in the best spot, not the best tree. In my area only hunting from trees is going to be a big disadvantage for you.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:34 am

mermatt83 wrote:Lockdown, thanks for the great write up, the detailed pics and the encouragement! I really enjoy hunting from the ground too- it's so nice to slip into the woods with hardly anything metal. Question to all of you with a decent amount of ground experience- what is the closest shot you've taken from a natural ground blind? (I'm asking so I can learn how to better set them up)

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

15 yards is my closest kill.

If I can help it, 10 yards is the closest I want a trail. It depends on how much cover you have, what you have for drawing opportunities, etc. Ideally 15-20 yards is a good distance. Very makeable shot, but not so close they can easily pick you out in your blind.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:35 am

Yeah...same approach I take. I do not give up a good spot to hunt from a tree. Ground also allows to hunt a spot with a lot less intrusion in early season. Many times a tree means a bunch of cutting and trimming when a ground blind will accomplish the same thing.

I can see from the photos there are not many trees where you are hunting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:46 am

I've been thinking about this a lot since yesterday. I think my biggest deterrent from sitting on the ground is mosquitos. I've had so many around me that they form a constant hum around your ears. On the ground in areas where a ground blind is the best choice, airflow is limited. It's usually brushy and thick and the air is stagnant. I have and use a thermacell, when I have to, but I know if I have a huge cloud of scent looming my confidence is gone. so for me, I think the 8-10 constant mph wind would be a must.

The second thought is that the easy route is usually the wrong way to access. I find myself trying to slip in using the deer trails and that's ok too. I know I've only gonna have a few hunts per season in each spot. The spots without hunt able trees are always a thick tangle of briars. If I clean a path a lot of times it will cause deer to change the way they use it. Clearing a path also shows other hunters the way to my spot.

I would rather send a buck running for his life than let him live and be left alone. If it comes down to it, I will chase them smooth off the map! I ran two bucks off last season playing a chess match with them. I lost but without a doubt I scared them so bad that there's a very slim chance anyone else killed them last season. So for me, there's always a silver lining.

Another thing I wanted to add: Great tip about cutting branches against the trunk. But sometimes those saw cuts are noticeable. I notice them and I'm sure other hunters notice them as well. my eyes are looking for rubs and will catch a bright white circle of a fresh cut. Especially at the height you'd need to be cutting for a natural ground blind. One year I made Adobe balls, I Mixed mud and dry grass ( whatever you have close by ) and packed it onto the cut. It knocked out the glare and really camouflaged well after the mud dried. It's a quick easy fix and by the time it washes off, your deer should be dead!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”