Hill Country For Dummies. Tactics for a beginner

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Hill Country For Dummies. Tactics for a beginner

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:14 am

Hill Country hunting is discussed a lot here among those that have a lot of experience hunting that terrain. Some of it can get quite involved and I can see it would take years to perfect with trial and error.

My question is how does a beginner get started? I have watched Hill Country Bucks over and over but would like to read more about the basics you look for when going to a new area. What terrain are you targeting for early, pre rut, rut and finally late season?

Hill country is admittedly not my strong point but I plan to dive in head first this year and learn everything I can. In the past I hunted it all wrong as I set up in valley's and bottom of ridges instead of up high. I understand the basics of thermals and all that but wanting to apply it all better. Thinking there are plenty of us out there just getting started on hill hunting that could benefit from discussions in this thread.

So lets say I choose a new area to hunt in fairly steep hill country. Where would you focus your scouting efforts? Listening to JoeRE's podcast he mentioned beginners would probably start on long ridges because winds are more predictable than the more complicated terrain features. That was a great tip and looking for more if anybody can elaborate on this or other areas to target.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Crazinamatese

Re: Hill Country For Dummies. Tactics for a beginner

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:41 am

Im no way an expert hunter but my heart lays in the hills when it comes to hunting deer. I think JoeRE is right. I like long ridge lines with south facing slopes. The steeper the ridge, the better IMO.

Start? For me, it depends whether Im hunting that area during pre-rut or during the rut. Pre-rut, I want to focus on acorns. And here in Wisconsin, most of the hills are covered in oak trees.

I get better hunts hunting leeward sides too.

The rut is a little more un-predictable IMO. Sometimes action is hot in the valley, or up on the ridge. Depends where the estrus does are moving through or bedding. Sometimes there are decent cruise trails, sometimes not. Just gotta go what the fresh sign is telling you IMO. Thats from the experiences I've had.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:06 am

Found this thread to be very helpful. Good reference to add here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29512

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:13 am

I have scouted farm land, Marsh, and hill country since I joined the beast. I found hill country was the hardest to find beds. Good thread Dewey I will be traveling this fall to the hills also.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:25 am

Another good thread on hills.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19217&start=15
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:28 am

I think my biggest issue I have had hunting hill country is knowing how and how not to access the farm. I bet I have been busted as soon as I cross the field, crest the ridge, walking low while deer watch me from above etc. I am confident in saying my approaches are likely sloppy

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:58 pm

There is room in the Tundra lodge if you want some pointers. :lol:

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Hill country is hard, if you let it be. My biggest tip is if you hunt the thermal tunnel , you will see deer. And good ones. I am so confident in that I would not hesitate to sit there going in blind, and have many times. It may not happen in one night, but it happens every year for me, and if you know where the beds are its even better.

I get just below the thermal tunnel, and go as high as I can, 25-35 feet generally. I seldom ever get busted , if I do, its ussually my ground scent. Technically you would want to be above the thermal tunnel in the morning and below it when the currents drop, but I have found that if you stay just below it 15-20 yards and get way high your generally ok and dont have to setup for the change.

If there is a point that sticks out off the ridge, basically count on it having a bed. It may not be a big buck, but if you treat them like they all have a buck bedded on them, you wont kick as many out of there that could tip off other deer. Obviously you want to find the big buck beds, but I have zero hesitation going in blind and hunting those spots.

Saddles and benches or shelves make it even better. One of my best spots is in the thermal tunnel, on a bowl shaped ridge, and there is a saddle just to the left. Its scary the amount of bucks that cruise thru there, rut or pre rut.

My best tip is buy mapping trophy whitetails, its my favorite book ever and really helps with hill country.

There is a TON more to hill country, but that really puts it in laymens terms and has helped me kill a lot of nice bucks lately.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:18 pm

I think we need to get to together dewey and chat about hill country.... I pass by your house almost every weekend ;) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Brad wrote:Hill country is hard, if you let it be. My biggest tip is if you hunt the thermal tunnel , you will see deer. And good ones. I am so confident in that I would not hesitate to sit there going in blind, and have many times. It may not happen in one night, but it happens every year for me, and if you know where the beds are its even better.

I get just below the thermal tunnel, and go as high as I can, 25-35 feet generally. I seldom ever get busted , if I do, its ussually my ground scent. Technically you would want to be above the thermal tunnel in the morning and below it when the currents drop, but I have found that if you stay just below it 15-20 yards and get way high your generally ok and dont have to setup for the change.

If there is a point that sticks out off the ridge, basically count on it having a bed. It may not be a big buck, but if you treat them like they all have a buck bedded on them, you wont kick as many out of there that could tip off other deer. Obviously you want to find the big buck beds, but I have zero hesitation going in blind and hunting those spots.

Saddles and benches or shelves make it even better. One of my best spots is in the thermal tunnel, on a bowl shaped ridge, and there is a saddle just to the left. Its scary the amount of bucks that cruise thru there, rut or pre rut.

My best tip is buy mapping trophy whitetails, its my favorite book ever and really helps with hill country.

There is a TON more to hill country, but that really puts it in laymens terms and has helped me kill a lot of nice bucks lately.

Thanks Brad. Great tips. I bought the Mapping Trophy Whitetails many years ago when it first came out. Read it a bunch of times and currently reading again.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:54 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:There is room in the Tundra lodge if you want some pointers. :lol:

I know you get lonely in the hills at night but I will respectfully pass on that offer. :lol:

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Dewey wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:There is room in the Tundra lodge if you want some pointers. :lol:

I know you get lonely in the hills at night but I will respectfully pass on that offer. :lol:

:shock:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:08 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Dewey wrote:

You looking for "pointers" BigHunt? :lol:

Serious though. Shoot me a PM if something giving you issues.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:19 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
Dewey wrote:

You looking for "pointers" BigHunt? :lol:

Serious though. Shoot me a PM if something giving you issues.

OK

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Dewey you will do just fine. In the rut I think it's the best place to be. The terrain if used properly really helps. The wind/thermals will be learning curve but going high and seeking clean wind is my advice. My generic general rule of thumb is I want my body above the highest part of ridge in my treestand and as close to miltary crest as possible.

Dan has a March 19th workshop

My choices for best hunting

Marsh/swamp/farmland = early season

Hill Country/ river bottom = Rut

Big woods- scenery/ambience and when ever you can and need to get away

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”