Fantastic hunt this past November!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Fantastic hunt this past November!

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:12 am

This year in the midwest, it was pretty warm in November. It was great for sitting ...but the deer movement was just really really slow. Once stands are set, I try to sit all day, dawn to dark.

Slow morning. Sat until noon. Than I had a crazy idea. It’s 65 degrees. Deer are not moving very well…hey why not try still hunting? My buddy had seen the sticker 8 right at first light go back to bed following a doe. I know this ground really well. I know where most of the bedding areas are. He was not going to hunt this end of the property that night...so why not give it a try?

I can get around the east side of the property so I can come into the bed on a ssw wind. So I make my first pass, glassing, grunting. Most of the area in this bed are cedars that are spaced out. We have seen quite a few deer bed here over the years and have had some awesome hunts in this area. But no action today.

So I got to a crossing figure I would check a camera. Camera is basically on fence break between 2 bedding area. So I go through the fence break and I can see a good buck chasing across river. So I start grunting and rattling like my life depended on it. He runs her up over the oxbow and away they go.

Couple seconds later, I see a buck at 100 yds cross river. Grab my bow, and head BACK through the fence gap. My goal is to get back to the field above to catch him crossing.

You can’t make this stuff up!!!!

As I round the corner here comes the sticker 8pt at 20yds!!! He is grunting and coming to my calls in a hurry. He is running! ! He locks the brakes up as I try to come to full draw. No dice. He blows and lumbers off.

Here is a trail cam video of the deer I was still hunting.
[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0M5A_Ta0Rs&feature=youtu.be[/bbvideo]

I mean…crazy. what a hunt. There was no doe. I believe he was bedded by himself. He was on side of river. He was not involved with deer across river.

Kill or no kill, one of the most fun hunts I have ever been on.

SRWbowhunter

Re: Fantastic hunt this past November!

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Sounds like fun! He didn't like something about your camera though

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Neither did this buck. Ended up killing him few days later.

It was not a spot I was actively hunting this spot. Trail cam was low to the ground. It was an IR glow AND I used it on video.
Video is like 10sec...so they see a red glow for 10 seconds. Neither buck liked it.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://youtu.be/OX_9__UheJQ[/bbvideo]

Camera was just too tight to the trail.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:36 am

8-)

Where is the kill photo - you know the eye candy!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:17 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:8-)

Where is the kill photo - you know the eye candy!

1toughmudder
Facebook: mfuss@bemis.com

Unread postby 1toughmudder » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:30 am

I've seen some of your other kills Mainebowhunter. Your the real deal. Congrats on another dandy!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:39 am

1toughmudder wrote:I've seen some of your other kills Mainebowhunter. Your the real deal. Congrats on another dandy!

Thanks....this board is full of the real deals. Its why I am here. The beast is full of guys that hunt hard...know what it is to hunt tough areas.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”