Do box blinds contain your scent?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
whitetailassasin

Re: Do box blinds contain your scent?

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Lockdown wrote:The issue that we've got is that we're hunting a treeless wide open CRP field. The deer are there, but there are no fence lines for them to follow, field edges, etc. movement is extremely random.

The first year we hunted dad got busted (in an open box blind) by a big buck, so we decided to make some enclosed blinds. There is really no other way to hunt it since we haven't seen consistent travel patterns.

There isn't any security cover at all other than the big blue stem itself. When pressured even a little, they vacate the property. So we gun hunt it during rut, and hope a shooter chases a doe in there. Honestly it's about as mindless as deer hunting gets.

A few people questioned whether or not the blinds would keep our scent inside, so I started this thread.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

The one thing that gets me thinking in this statement is why was dad hunting on the wrong wind? :think: no matter where the stand is, box blind or hang on, if you ignore the wind, your playing with fire. Patience for the right wind will pay off when the time is right if mature deer use this area.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:18 pm

[quote="whitetailassasin"][quote="Lockdown"]The issue that we've got is that we're hunting a treeless wide open CRP field. The deer are there, but there are no fence lines for them to follow, field edges, etc. movement is extremely random.

The first year we hunted dad got busted (in an open box blind) by a big buck, so we decided to make some enclosed blinds. There is really no other way to hunt it since we haven't seen consistent travel patterns.

There isn't any security cover at all other than the big blue stem itself. When pressured even a little, they vacate the property. So we gun hunt it during rut, and hope a shooter chases a doe in there. Honestly it's about as mindless as deer hunting gets.

A few people questioned whether or not the blinds would keep our scent inside, so I started this thread.

[size=75][b][i][ Post made via iPhone ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/iPhone.png[/img][/quote]

The one thing that gets me thinking in this statement is why was dad hunting on the wrong wind? :think: no matter where the stand is, box blind or hang on, if you ignore the wind, your playing with fire. Patience for the right wind will pay off when the time is right if mature deer use this area.

[size=75][b][i][ Post made via iPhone ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/iPhone.png[/img][/quote]

I should add that this is one of two private properties we have permission for, but this piece is hands down the better of the two.

I don't slug hunt, my dad and sister hunt here. Yes, by Beast standards they are over hunting it. However, the action they are seeing are cruising bucks looking for does.

Their chances here, even after repeated sits, are far better than heading to heavily hunted public. We had my dad, sister and brother in law on the property opening weekend, morning and night. Dad hunted it a few evenings, then I believe it was Wednesday when he saw two different shooters on the property. He sat the enclosed blind many times and decided to switch it up.... One of the bucks circled it at 50 yards. He was pissed and ended up shooting a small buck the next day.

WTA to answer your first question, there basically are no right or wrong winds, which sounds stupid. We see deer all over the property with no rhyme or reason as to when or where.

The only consistency is that the middle of the property sees more movement than the edges. What's the best way to hunt a flat treeless CRP field that's 500 yards wide x 1000 yards long? There are a couple spots where they seem to leave the property more often than not, and our box stands are set to cover those areas. I pay attention to every possible detail and write it down in my journal. I have found no correlation of their movement according to the wind.

That's why the enclosed box blind is the best option for them.

[size=75][b][i][ Post made via iPhone ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/iPhone.png[/img]
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:21 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:
Lockdown wrote:The issue that we've got is that we're hunting a treeless wide open CRP field. The deer are there, but there are no fence lines for them to follow, field edges, etc. movement is extremely random.

I should add that this is one of two private properties we have permission for, but this piece is hands down the better of the two.

I don't slug hunt, my dad and sister hunt here. Yes, by Beast standards they are over hunting it. However, the action they are seeing are cruising bucks looking for does.

Their chances here, even after repeated sits, are far better than heading to heavily hunted public. We had my dad, sister and brother in law on the property opening weekend, morning and night. Dad hunted it a few evenings, then I believe it was Wednesday when he saw two different shooters on the property. He sat the enclosed blind many times and decided to switch it up.... One of the bucks circled it at 50 yards. He was pissed and ended up shooting a small buck the next day.

WTA to answer your first question, there basically are no right or wrong winds, which sounds stupid. We see deer all over the property with no rhyme or reason as to when or where.

The only consistency is that the middle of the property sees more movement than the edges. What's the best way to hunt a flat treeless CRP field that's 500 yards wide x 1000 yards long? There are a couple spots where they seem to leave the property more often than not, and our box stands are set to cover those areas. I pay attention to every possible detail and write it down in my journal. I have found no correlation of their movement according to the wind.

That's why the enclosed box blind is the best option for them.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:25 pm

kurt wrote:If a box blind is built that air tight it will get moldy on inside. If it is left out all year. We had a problem with one you need a vent. The door had seals and the wood swelled tight to the point you had to beat it with a sledge.

It probably helps some especially with swirling but deer are incredible with their nose especially mature ones.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Thanks Kurt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”