Chapter 4 Swamp Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Chapter 4 Swamp Bedding

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 pm

NEbowman wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
NEbowman wrote:I got them in the mail last week and just finished watching the 2nd dvd last night. You guys are right, it is so densely packed with information. I watched it straight through to get a general idea of the info and I'm going to watch it much more diligently this week with a pen and notepad. I made a half assed attempt at applying these tactics this past season, but I think having the dvd to really lay everything out is going to be a game changer next season.

I promise it will bro
Ii seen huge difference in two months
I was a baiter for years all i did was bait. Well i watched everything and read everything with the beast on it and just since november i see more bucks than does
I havent seen a mature one yet. Even though my first real beast hunt on a bed was last thursday and i think it was a buck who lost his horns but. Its given me super confidence.ive scouted most of the year and really should have with a stand on my back but i diddnt. But everything i saw and read on videos. Was spot on everything
I never even knew where to look for a bed before i watched videos My first scout in November was a marsh point i checked out on google earth and there it was a lone tree off a point i then went out there and it was super thick getting to that tree off the point but man when i got to it a buck just about let me walk on him in his bed under the lone tree. He scared the bejesus out of me as much as i scare him. And im hoping but very confident after this coming weekend i hope there is just a huge light bulb that goes on after my wisconsin trip
So keep it up bro we have a long long road ahead but it will pay off its all about time in the tree near the beds

I just did my first scout yesterday morning after watching the dvd's for a second time. I had picked up bits and pieces from the threads here on the beast and some of the youtube videos, but it was pretty eye opening to see it all laid out in such detail on the dvd's. Being able to key in on transitions, especially areas where multiple transitions come to together was a big piece of the puzzle I was missing. Can't wait to get back out there and do some more scouting. I think I'm beginning to enjoy the scouting as much as I am the hunting!

I feel the same way after watching and learning beast tactics
Im also about at the point now that i also enjoy scouting almost more than hunting. Lol
I can just imagine the feeling when all the hard work and hours pays off when i have a big boy in my sights
Next tuesday starts the real work

EdC

Unread postby EdC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:49 am

I feel the same way the scouting is just as much fun

this whole new way of hunting for me, finally has put together predictability for locating deer
as opposed to sitting in one tree stand all season and praying you picked the right spot
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 am

EdC wrote:I feel the same way the scouting is just as much fun

this whole new way of hunting for me, finally has put together predictability for locating deer
as opposed to sitting in one tree stand all season and praying you picked the right spot

Couldnt have said it better ed.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 am

I just ordered my copy of Swamp Bedding from Lou along with some stealth strips. I'm hoping this DVD will help me a lot with our swamps up north. Honestly they are a pain to navigate through and very intimidating.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:07 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:I just ordered my copy of Swamp Bedding from Lou along with some stealth strips. I'm hoping this DVD will help me a lot with our swamps up north. Honestly they are a pain to navigate through and very intimidating.

Its also what i have problems with. Transitions are hard to find in the swamp around here
Our swamps arent open they are within the woods
If you know what im saying
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:29 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:I just ordered my copy of Swamp Bedding from Lou along with some stealth strips. I'm hoping this DVD will help me a lot with our swamps up north. Honestly they are a pain to navigate through and very intimidating.

Its also what i have problems with. Transitions are hard to find in the swamp around here

I think I understand what you mean. Our swamps are pretty vast and abundant. They will normally be filled with good sized cedars, painfully thick alders, moss, and are pretty wet. Most likely a perfect place for a giant to hide from predators. Usually there isn't any trees to hang a stand in since they are so thick. If you hang a stand it may only be 10 to 12 feet off the ground otherwise it's too thick from the foliage. Another challenge is that with as much land as I can look scout through, there isn't a large population of deer and an even smaller population of giant bucks. But I'm confident that they do exist and that I can find them and kill them!
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:45 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

I think I understand what you mean. Our swamps are pretty vast and abundant. They will normally be filled with good sized cedars, painfully thick alders, moss, and are pretty wet. Most likely a perfect place for a giant to hide from predators. Usually there isn't any trees to hang a stand in since they are so thick. If you hang a stand it may only be 10 to 12 feet off the ground otherwise it's too thick from the foliage. Another challenge is that with as much land as I can look scout through, there isn't a large population of deer and an even smaller population of giant bucks. But I'm confident that they do exist and that I can find them and kill them!

All wee can do is take all this info in and try to apply it
Or recall certain things we were told and learned fom the beast. Then apply them. Good luck bro
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:06 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

All wee can do is take all this info in and try to apply it
Or recall certain things we were told and learned fom the beast. Then apply them. Good luck bro

You too! I look forward to the challenge. If you listen to the podcast, Dan talks about 30 year old hunters who are out there to kill a mature buck who are really hard on themselves, well that's me. I usually have high expectations for myself and my goals.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Got a question from the swamp bedding DVDs. In this scenario they have gone in based on cyber scouting, expecting to find buck beds at the red dots and doe beds at the blue dots. They end up finding both pretty close to where they expected. From what I've picked up from the videos and the beast, I would have expected to find buck bedding in both the red and the blue (in cover off of points on a transition line).

What about the blue terrain the blue dots are on signals doe bedding?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:56 am

crackehelmet wrote:Got a question from the swamp bedding DVDs. In this scenario they have gone in based on cyber scouting, expecting to find buck beds at the red dots and doe beds at the blue dots. They end up finding both pretty close to where they expected. From what I've picked up from the videos and the beast, I would have expected to find buck bedding in both the red and the blue (in cover off of points on a transition line).

What about the blue terrain the blue dots are on signals doe bedding?

I don't know exactly what was said in the DVD, I can't remember. When we looked at this area originally, we looked at many views thru google earth by changing image dates. The bedding depicted is indeed along transitions and points. We also looked at some of the stuff on the edge, but once out there the sign lead to these areas. I had hunted in the area and passed thru that area but not scouted it before. 1st hunt we set up based on both cyber scouting and on what we saw from the ground going in. Sign was certainly leading us to believe deer travel was coming from the area we marked up. Actually, I think the buck came from further south than anticipated. After mario killed the 7 point there, we back tracked to the bed and it was really close. We then scouted out to the beds on the tip and determined what was doe and what was buck bedding. Before that it was a guess and not a known. I probably expected a little buck bedding on the point where the doe bedding was, but in hindsight, its not set up well for wind for buck bedding on the actual point where the does bed.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:34 am

dan wrote:I don't know exactly what was said in the DVD, I can't remember. When we looked at this area originally, we looked at many views thru google earth by changing image dates. The bedding depicted is indeed along transitions and points. We also looked at some of the stuff on the edge, but once out there the sign lead to these areas. I had hunted in the area and passed thru that area but not scouted it before. 1st hunt we set up based on both cyber scouting and on what we saw from the ground going in. Sign was certainly leading us to believe deer travel was coming from the area we marked up. Actually, I think the buck came from further south than anticipated. After mario killed the 7 point there, we back tracked to the bed and it was really close. We then scouted out to the beds on the tip and determined what was doe and what was buck bedding. Before that it was a guess and not a known. I probably expected a little buck bedding on the point where the doe bedding was, but in hindsight, its not set up well for wind for buck bedding on the actual point where the does bed.

Thanks Dan! Being able to anticipate doe vs buck bedding is something i'm struggling with right now. I keep finding what I'm pretty sure is doe bedding on points and in bowls on the transition from hardwood to swamp grass in the swamp i'm scouting. It sounds to me like I need to factor in the predominant winds for the area more, with the bucks going to the terrain best served by the wind and the does filling in the other points and bowls.

Also, I Iove the DVD. You've done what's advertised on the package, you've taught me how to find deer beds in a swamp! (I had no idea Deer lived in swamps :oops: )
Rampaige

Unread postby Rampaige » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:36 am

I got my edition of Swamp Bedding this morning watched the first hour. Now, I’m on a point that pokes into a thick, nasty maple/dogwood swamp. There was no buck at the end of the point but I bumped 2 does well before I got this far in. I’m hoping to see a slob but the wind is just so...swirly. Any wise, mature deer likely winded me and snuck out of here.
Amateur_hunter01

Unread postby Amateur_hunter01 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:42 am

I really don’t know how to start this without sounding unexposed, or ignorant to the various regions and terrain features of the United States relating to deer. So please, bare with me.

I have been curious in buying the swamp bedding dvd as I live in the south eastern part of the United States where swamps are prevelant. The swamps are full of cypress trees, cypress knees, pines, and oaks and areas can be really thick, 5-10 yards to open, 40-50 yards. They are close enough to the ocean that tide can have an effect on certain areas. So to get to the point, will this dvd be beneficial to me with buck bedding even with possible terrain differences? I imagine the swamps of the North and Midwest to be vastly different to my area.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:42 am

The key principles on where to look for the buck beds, higher dry pieces of ground, should still apply.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am

Amateur_hunter01 wrote:I really don’t know how to start this without sounding unexposed, or ignorant to the various regions and terrain features of the United States relating to deer. So please, bare with me.

I have been curious in buying the swamp bedding dvd as I live in the south eastern part of the United States where swamps are prevelant. The swamps are full of cypress trees, cypress knees, pines, and oaks and areas can be really thick, 5-10 yards to open, 40-50 yards. They are close enough to the ocean that tide can have an effect on certain areas. So to get to the point, will this dvd be beneficial to me with buck bedding even with possible terrain differences? I imagine the swamps of the North and Midwest to be vastly different to my area.

There will a lot of differences in the swamps in the DVD and your swamps. However, as Stash said, the principles and deer behavior remains the same. You just have to adjust the tactics to the differences, there are several hunters on this site from your region using these tactics.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”