Chapter 4 Swamp Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Chapter 4 Swamp Bedding

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:20 pm

SmallJawNH wrote:I have all four dvds and I hope swamp bedding will help me the most. I just moved to Dallas, TX from New Hampshire and it is very flat. There is only a small amount of public and of the public that's here Army Corps of Engineers owns most of it and they're flood control areas.

Is there anything in particular in the DVD that I should pay extra attention to? Some of the land is almost two hours from where I live so scouting trips need to be structured to make them count.

The whole DVD is non-stop things about bedding and setting up in that terrain that will help you. Its hard to pinpoint one specific area of the DVD.

SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:10 am

dan wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:I have all four dvds and I hope swamp bedding will help me the most. I just moved to Dallas, TX from New Hampshire and it is very flat. There is only a small amount of public and of the public that's here Army Corps of Engineers owns most of it and they're flood control areas.

Is there anything in particular in the DVD that I should pay extra attention to? Some of the land is almost two hours from where I live so scouting trips need to be structured to make them count.

The whole DVD is non-stop things about bedding and setting up in that terrain that will help you. Its hard to pinpoint one specific area of the DVD.

It's so information dense. I have a tough time remembering things when I get out in the woods. :think:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 pm

SmallJawNH wrote:
dan wrote:

It's so information dense. I have a tough time remembering things when I get out in the woods. :think:

I actually hear that alot. I get told at 1st its a little overwhelming but after the 2nd or 3rd time watching it starts to click. It really helps if your scouting after watching and can see the relation of what you saw in the DVD with what you see in the bush.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:46 pm

Howdy neighbor, sounds like u live pretty close. Bet u got a heck of shock when you got here and tried to find a place to hunt that didn’t cost a small fortune per season! There’s more public around the area that isn’t advertised as public. Plus there are a lot of good draw hunts u can put in for. The best large track hunting in the state is the Davy Crockett national forest. I’ve never stepped foot on it just going off word of mouth and kill stats. Just like any other state there are hidden gems around for the hunter who chooses to look for em. Good luck
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:04 am

Boogieman1 wrote:

Howdy neighbor, sounds like u live pretty close. Bet u got a heck of shock when you got here and tried to find a place to hunt that didn’t cost a small fortune per season! There’s more public around the area that isn’t advertised as public. Plus there are a lot of good draw hunts u can put in for. The best large track hunting in the state is the Davy Crockett national forest. I’ve never stepped foot on it just going off word of mouth and kill stats. Just like any other state there are hidden gems around for the hunter who chooses to look for em. Good luck

Definitely shocking. I also like public land for what it is. I wouldn't turn down an invite to private but to figure out mature deer on public comes with its own set of rewards.

I'll put in for some of the draws and I read about postcard hunts as well. Trying to exploit all resource. May knock on a few doors to ask permission. It is hard looking at all this great land I can't hunt yet. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.
SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:13 am

dan wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
dan wrote:

I actually hear that alot. I get told at 1st its a little overwhelming but after the 2nd or 3rd time watching it starts to click. It really helps if your scouting after watching and can see the relation of what you saw in the DVD with what you see in the bush.

The season closes tomorrow and will check out one of the areas next weekend. I don't see cattails or dogwood here. In New Hampshire we had the stuff you describe. Before I moved I started finding some beds but never got it together enough to set up successfully. Here the vegetation and terrain are a bit foreign. I have to believe deer behave the same way with different vegetation. I'm excited to get to figure it out though.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:47 pm

SmallJawNH wrote:
dan wrote:

Take notes while watching... when finished place them in a ziplock and hit the scouting trail. 8-)
NEbowman

Unread postby NEbowman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 am

I got them in the mail last week and just finished watching the 2nd dvd last night. You guys are right, it is so densely packed with information. I watched it straight through to get a general idea of the info and I'm going to watch it much more diligently this week with a pen and notepad. I made a half assed attempt at applying these tactics this past season, but I think having the dvd to really lay everything out is going to be a game changer next season.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 am

Just did my first scout today with swamp tactics :dance: awesome everything was right where DVD said it would be.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:36 am

so, what's the difference between swamp and marsh?
Where I am in se Michigan we have Catails and other tall grasses coming off the lake, with patches of little trunked(8" diameter) brushy trees, and some patches of hardwoods. Which video would serve me best?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:56 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:so, what's the difference between swamp and marsh?
Where I am in se Michigan we have Catails and other tall grasses coming off the lake, with patches of little trunked(8" diameter) brushy trees, and some patches of hardwoods. Which video would serve me best?

In my opinion both!! I find one helps understand the other. Even Hill Bedding can help with these terrain types. In the long run owning them all is a cheap investment toward learning how to hunt beds. And end up saving time and energy spent during the learning curve.

But if you genuinely can only afford one I'd go with Swamp. All of it's basics can apply to Marsh.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:33 am

NEbowman wrote:I got them in the mail last week and just finished watching the 2nd dvd last night. You guys are right, it is so densely packed with information. I watched it straight through to get a general idea of the info and I'm going to watch it much more diligently this week with a pen and notepad. I made a half assed attempt at applying these tactics this past season, but I think having the dvd to really lay everything out is going to be a game changer next season.

I promise it will bro
Ii seen huge difference in two months
I was a baiter for years all i did was bait. Well i watched everything and read everything with the beast on it and just since november i see more bucks than does
I havent seen a mature one yet. Even though my first real beast hunt on a bed was last thursday and i think it was a buck who lost his horns but. Its given me super confidence.ive scouted most of the year and really should have with a stand on my back but i diddnt. But everything i saw and read on videos. Was spot on everything
I never even knew where to look for a bed before i watched videos My first scout in November was a marsh point i checked out on google earth and there it was a lone tree off a point i then went out there and it was super thick getting to that tree off the point but man when i got to it a buck just about let me walk on him in his bed under the lone tree. He scared the bejesus out of me as much as i scare him. And im hoping but very confident after this coming weekend i hope there is just a huge light bulb that goes on after my wisconsin trip
So keep it up bro we have a long long road ahead but it will pay off its all about time in the tree near the beds
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:32 am

Get them all I've learned something from all of the videos I use in every hunt and scout
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:05 am

Im getting hill when farm comes out
NEbowman

Unread postby NEbowman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
NEbowman wrote:I got them in the mail last week and just finished watching the 2nd dvd last night. You guys are right, it is so densely packed with information. I watched it straight through to get a general idea of the info and I'm going to watch it much more diligently this week with a pen and notepad. I made a half assed attempt at applying these tactics this past season, but I think having the dvd to really lay everything out is going to be a game changer next season.

I promise it will bro
Ii seen huge difference in two months
I was a baiter for years all i did was bait. Well i watched everything and read everything with the beast on it and just since november i see more bucks than does
I havent seen a mature one yet. Even though my first real beast hunt on a bed was last thursday and i think it was a buck who lost his horns but. Its given me super confidence.ive scouted most of the year and really should have with a stand on my back but i diddnt. But everything i saw and read on videos. Was spot on everything
I never even knew where to look for a bed before i watched videos My first scout in November was a marsh point i checked out on google earth and there it was a lone tree off a point i then went out there and it was super thick getting to that tree off the point but man when i got to it a buck just about let me walk on him in his bed under the lone tree. He scared the bejesus out of me as much as i scare him. And im hoping but very confident after this coming weekend i hope there is just a huge light bulb that goes on after my wisconsin trip
So keep it up bro we have a long long road ahead but it will pay off its all about time in the tree near the beds

I just did my first scout yesterday morning after watching the dvd's for a second time. I had picked up bits and pieces from the threads here on the beast and some of the youtube videos, but it was pretty eye opening to see it all laid out in such detail on the dvd's. Being able to key in on transitions, especially areas where multiple transitions come to together was a big piece of the puzzle I was missing. Can't wait to get back out there and do some more scouting. I think I'm beginning to enjoy the scouting as much as I am the hunting!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”