Home....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Re: Home....

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Czabs wrote:I wanna know what group all you guys are talking about! Haha.

As far as filming and hunting I have a little different approach than most guys on here. I will try my hardest to get a shot on film but I will not pass a buck to get it on film.

I've been hunting and filming for as long as I've been hunting and to me it's a part of the whole experience. I've actually been down about the whole filming before. I think I've actually made a post back in the day that I was thinking about quitting filming and just hunting. After really thinking about it, it's something I just can't do. I love it too much. Honestly I feel naked when I go out hunting without a camera. And I don't like being naked in the woods.

I look at a lot of the hunting industry and they all have these super nice camera setups. Film crew. Tons of high quality properties, etc. I'm a competitive person with myself and with others. Personally because I like a challenge. I like to challenge myself. I fail a lot at the things I do but that drives me even further. I want to be great at what I do. I live for success. The feeling I get when I watch a Donny Vincent film or sometimes heartland bowhunter, or whoever. It gives me chills sometimes...the passion. I'm super passionate about hunting just as most people on this site are and I really want to show people, especially people who don't know much about hunting, what hunting is really about, atleast for me.

I've thought to myself I can't make a film like Donny Vincent. I can't do what heartland bowhunter does. But I can! I can do whatever I want to do. I used to say that about hunters that had tons of land and shot big bucks every year over there food plots. It was just an excuse. I worked my rear end off. Came across this amazing site. Learns tons from Dan and others. I have a couple really good friends off this site. I scouted and learned. And I'm still learning every year. But now I can say I can kill big bucks on public land.

I don't need the fancy food plots and large acreage private properties. Same thing goes for filming. I've been learning and reading a lot about film work this past year and It's one of my main goals. To make a passionate hunting film and show people that not only that anything can be achieved in life but the passionate side of bowhunting. Show people everything what it takes. I have about $4500 stuck into my camera gear and a Donny Vincent or heartland bow hunter has 50K plus stuck into it along with a camera crew. It's a stretch but it's a goal of mine.

I have many goals apart from that as well with Behind the Bow. So I guess it's not just that I love bowhunting but u love filming bowhunting. And I love challenging myself, and setting goals. May I someday have sponsors? Maybe. But I will never do something I feel takes away from any of my work and will never portray bowhunting how 90% of the guys out there do. Thanks for this thread. Good luck with your filming WTA. Looking forward to it!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I love your passion and BTB, I appreciate the kind words of encouragement as well as sharing your experiences with all of us. Your class act in my buck Curtis!!

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Cannot wait to see this when it's all said and done!

I've self-filmed a couple archery doe hunts and almost a dozen turkey hunts.....never did a thing with the deer hunts but have edited all of my turkey hunts. It's fun if you have the time to do all of the editing, but it's a lot of work.

You guys will do great....best of luck to ya!
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:13 pm

Ack wrote:Cannot wait to see this when it's all said and done!

I've self-filmed a couple archery doe hunts and almost a dozen turkey hunts.....never did a thing with the deer hunts but have edited all of my turkey hunts. It's fun if you have the time to do all of the editing, but it's a lot of work.

You guys will do great....best of luck to ya!

Thanks ack were gonna give it a go!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:54 pm

Pretty exciting stuff.. Cant wait to see what u guys do. Any hard core Public land stuff has a spot in my DVD collection.

G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:48 am

I assume your talking about the season 6 movie/DVD that has been getting pimped by a certain Michigan sporting goods company. I bought one of their DVDs last year and learned my lesson on them quickly. Good luck filming your stuff fellas, it is tough to do for sure. For me personally, I couldn't care less about the impact of the arrow on camera. The meat and potatoes of it all is in the scouting, set up, the entrance/exit strategy, and the actual hunt and how you manage to get to the point where you draw your bow in the first place. If you figure out a way to portray that in a readable way on camera you have really accomplished something.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:53 am

G3s wrote:I assume your talking about the season 6 movie/DVD that has been getting pimped by a certain Michigan sporting goods company. I bought one of their DVDs last year and learned my lesson on them quickly. Good luck filming your stuff fellas, it is tough to do for sure. For me personally, I couldn't care less about the impact of the arrow on camera. The meat and potatoes of it all is in the scouting, set up, the entrance/exit strategy, and the actual hunt and how you manage to get to the point where you draw your bow in the first place. If you figure out a way to portray that in a readable way on camera you have really accomplished something.

Glad to see you through in your thoughts Tim...your spot on with what I've personally always wanted to do. It's more to me then seeing a guy before daylight, then in a tree a buck shows up he shoots it, then they do a recovery and hero shots. Most people don't connect on watching guys shoot deer on prime land that's low pressure sitting in a spot the viewer has no clue why they are there. Or a field edge in daylight hours. Lots to pick apart, but I want to connect with the average and the hardcore. To me that's where it's always been.

Ps I didn't want to name names on the video crew...:lol:
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:46 am

I guess I'm a little distracted by this thread and the public criticism of some young guys doing what they love and sharing it with the public, albeit opening yourself up to the public eye invites criticism. I'll offer this key point...

• You're putting yourself on a pedestal by criticizing another who attempted to do the same thing you're setting off to do. Be humble.

I had to shake my head at the comment earlier pointing out a shaky lens in the production. You should have been with me on opening day of Wisconsin's firearms season operating the camera in 25-MPH winds during a wet blizzard snowfall. Even the steadiest of hands can't avoid a shaky lens filming with fingers exposed to dial in the zoom, focus, and record button during conditions like that. I suppose the semi-shaky footage was less distracting then getting motion sick had we kept the camera locked onto the Hunting Beast Camera Arm I had set up on that swinging tree no thanks to the wind.

I, too, enjoy joining the hunter on the path he/she took to get there in addition to the actual kill and recovery, but it's not for everyone. MWP chose a path of producing more along the lines of entertainment. While it had a couple of you leaving early from the screening, it had the majority clapping and entertained. Point is, you can't please everyone.

One more thing to consider is that success is far less likely to be repeated based on pure luck. It seems unfair to suggest those young guys had no intel on the bucks they were hunting, paid no mind to the wind, only sat pre-hung sets, and as if no work, scouting or pre-planning went into those hunts. It also seems unnecessary to film a guy checking the wind on each and every hunt. Like, "Hey, there goes another milkweed seed", or "Hey, can you record me squeezing this wind checker tube of powder"? Yawn... What's with the need to prove you "know what you're doing" just because you share your hunt on film? Isn't it proof in the pudding when you see them score on a successful hunt? What's more sad is that to some public opinion, the hunt isn't successful unless the buck is overly impressive.

I suppose the idea of publicly bashing a production will only draw comparisons to that of your own. There are better ways of holding ones self accountable to be "better".
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:06 am

I think people are sick of the same routine and better than though attitudes of these people filming... I know I am. I can't even watch hunting shows or video's, they are all the same... I probably would not criticize as loud, and openly. But the whole filming industry seems corrupt.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:25 am

I tried filming some stuff for a year or so.... it took away from the hunt for me. So I left the camera stuff at home...

It sure does add a degree of difficulty trying to self-film yourself

I agree with Sam though... if you are going this direction into a huge industry and just getting started... I would try to keep an open mind. Let the work/vids speak for themselves... the audience will say yah or nah :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:31 am

dan wrote: I think people are sick of the same routine and better than though attitudes of these people filming... I know I am. I can't even watch hunting shows or video's, they are all the same... I probably would not criticize as loud, and openly. But the whole filming industry seems corrupt.

X2 for me it wasent so much that those guys had bad video quality i thought it was pretty good myself, it was the difference between what they were saying they were doing and where they were hunting and how they were doing it that put me off. I just wasent impressed. Look at extreme whitetail tactics, no its not top rated video quality. But its REAL, real work real average guys getting it done on public/private using tactics to bring down mature animals, not sitting on a field edge shoot year or two year old deer and claiming they are 4 and five.

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:32 am

Those guys it was 100% private managed land.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:47 am

Sam Ubl wrote:I guess I'm a little distracted by this thread and the public criticism of some young guys doing what they love and sharing it with the public, albeit opening yourself up to the public eye invites criticism. I'll offer this key point...

• You're putting yourself on a pedestal by criticizing another who attempted to do the same thing you're setting off to do. Be humble.

I had to shake my head at the comment earlier pointing out a shaky lens in the production. You should have been with me on opening day of Wisconsin's firearms season operating the camera in 25-MPH winds during a wet blizzard snowfall. Even the steadiest of hands can't avoid a shaky lens filming with fingers exposed to dial in the zoom, focus, and record button during conditions like that. I suppose the semi-shaky footage was less distracting then getting motion sick had we kept the camera locked onto the Hunting Beast Camera Arm I had set up on that swinging tree no thanks to the wind.

I, too, enjoy joining the hunter on the path he/she took to get there in addition to the actual kill and recovery, but it's not for everyone. MWP chose a path of producing more along the lines of entertainment. While it had a couple of you leaving early from the screening, it had the majority clapping and entertained. Point is, you can't please everyone.

One more thing to consider is that success is far less likely to be repeated based on pure luck. It seems unfair to suggest those young guys had no intel on the bucks they were hunting, paid no mind to the wind, only sat pre-hung sets, and as if no work, scouting or pre-planning went into those hunts. It also seems unnecessary to film a guy checking the wind on each and every hunt. Like, "Hey, there goes another milkweed seed", or "Hey, can you record me squeezing this wind checker tube of powder"? Yawn... What's with the need to prove you "know what you're doing" just because you share your hunt on film? Isn't it proof in the pudding when you see them score on a successful hunt? What's more sad is that to some public opinion, the hunt isn't successful unless the buck is overly impressive.

I suppose the idea of publicly bashing a production will only draw comparisons to that of your own. There are better ways of holding ones self accountable to be "better".

First of all I didn't once mention anyone's name on here or in any of my posts. I gave my opinion as well as the opinion of my partner. Seems you are "friends" of such guys, how would you know who clapped or whatnot. We stayed until the end and where there. You completely have no clue what your talking about and have a biased opinion. And I'll refrain from getting into this with you because every point I brought up was valid and not only my own but someone watching the same thing as we did. I'm not at all putting myself on a pedestal nor do I want any acclaim. I want to do this to help people, and I feel I can. You sir can shake your head and think what you want, your entitled to do so. But your need to come on this thread and state your opinion, completely contradicts your stance because I was giving my opinion as well and not once did i mention who it was or anything of that nature, but you sir decided to personally attack me publicly. Anytine you want to have a discussion with me you can pm me or call I'll give you my direct line. I stand behind my comments and I can tell you because I spoke with the president and also his right hand man, and they had no clue about thermals, map reading, and many other things. Not once in that video was there anything I feel could help the average person kill a deer or public land. I heard statements from this young man and judged for myself based on his points of view and asked questions after the video to hear his answers. Maybe next time you decide to jump into this discussion you will come properly prepared.

Sam Ubl
500 Club

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:51 am

I think the main point yourself and WhitailAssassin are trying to make is along the lines of what Dan just replied above. Use those elements you feel you'll be able to improve upon based on what you've seen and what's mainstream and let the results of your hardwork pay off.
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:54 am

Bucky wrote:I tried filming some stuff for a year or so.... it took away from the hunt for me. So I left the camera stuff at home...

It sure does add a degree of difficulty trying to self-film yourself

I agree with Sam though... if you are going this direction into a huge industry and just getting started... I would try to keep an open mind. Let the work/vids speak for themselves... the audience will say yah or nah :lol:

I was the audience so was a fellow beast member, I never once said this would be easy or anything of that nature. But I was told by the president id like to see you do it better and watched his videos myself. I personally think I can do the same quality but on public pressured land. I appreciate your opinions, even the negative ones. But I have never once said I'm better or that I'm going to do this the best. I'm learning how to do it, and I know it will be hard, but I also know what I saw wasn't good in my eyes and wasn't how 99% of the hunting guys are doing it. I also know it didn't once teach or show any technique or how to kill a deer. And I believe people are looking for that, to connect. Not just a room full of family and friends to support you. There were way to many contradictions in the premiere and for me saying how I felt and I viewed it, without saying who it was, didn't mean I was better or great. It said I didn't want any part of being linked to that kind of hunting.

Sam Ubl
500 Club

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:57 am

whitetailassasin wrote:[glow=red]Bayshore sent me a text saying if there's an intermission lets go! I was literally texting the same thing![/glow]I won a hat(womens pink I gave to a littke girl)and tshirt, I gave both away one to a little girl the shirt back to the president when I told him we weren't interested in joining them. He asked why, and I said you really don't want to know. He said no really...so I told him...he looked at me with a blank stare and snobbishly said I'd like to see you guys do it better. A part of me wanted to fire back with some pictures of deer and information, or even with how shaky there footage was but I simply said you guys just aren't what we are looking for. [glow=red]I barely got out the door and Bayshore and I started laughing and just pointing out things[/glow]. A little buck they shot, bad shot, died in a classic bed, you could see the rubs, downed tree behind and the actual bed...we noticed it immediately, they had no clue. That's what Dan Infalt and the BEAST has done to two Michigan boys(and many more all over). I just feel blessed!![ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Really, I don't know anyone from MWP personally, but it wasn't hard to figure out with the reference to Michigan by someone and the live screening. I wouldn't jump to so many conclusions all at once. I think it's best if you pump the breaks and try to understand the point here. I think it's great you're setting out to do something great with filming and that you were able to take away from someone elses production what you could see angles of doing differently, but it's not cool to call anyone out and I think the post above sums up what you're denying pretty well. Case closed?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”