What does your hunting arrow weigh?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Re: What does your hunting arrow wiegh?

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Heavy arrows and high FOC have a direct correlation to penetration...

Read the Ashby studies if you wanna learn more...worth while IMO...

Now...shooting deer I don't know if you need to go extreme..and high dollar single bevel cut on contacts etc...

But many of us shoot a decent sized head..that creates a lot of drag and sucks up energy quick...not knocking Rage heads but they come to mind because how widely popular they are...watch the hunting shows you can tell they shot a rage by the hole...and typically lack of penetration...

I know when they came out a lot of guys on another forum were having issues with penetration.. Shooting light arrows to get the speed...

Speed is great...but penetration is better IMO...

Right now I'm around 460gr...

When I buy a new bow and build new arrows I'm going heavier...550-600gr I'm guessing and a pretty high FOC...

FOC also helps tremendously with arrow flight and tuning...

Heavier arrows also quiet a bow down immensely... Which is a big benefit in the hunting world...

A lot of guys see high KE numbers...but that's only part of the penetration equation...the other part is momentum...which is where heavier arrows shine...they carry that energy better...

I still hunt with slick trick mags...not a huge head but measure the cutting edges and it is...I love the holes and trails they leave...and I haven't had an issue with them not blowing through...they are IMO a well built head and not crazy priced...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:33 pm

Around 395 here. Kinetic kaos, ballistic collar, 10gram weight insert into the insert, 7.4g knock bushing and 100 grain broad head

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BCO

Unread postby BCO » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:38 pm

387 with compound and 100 grain broadhead
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:39 pm

560-600 grain

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:12 pm

7-9 gpp on my two compounds. 415 on one rig and 550 grain xx78 on the other. My recurve is nearly 11 gpp

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:14 pm

mauser06 wrote:Heavy arrows and high FOC have a direct correlation to penetration...

Now...shooting deer I don't know if you need to go extreme..and high dollar single bevel cut on contacts etc...

But many of us shoot a decent sized head..that creates a lot of drag and sucks up energy quick...not knocking Rage heads but they come to mind because how widely popular they are...watch the hunting shows you can tell they shot a rage by the hole...and typically lack of penetration...

I know when they came out a lot of guys on another forum were having issues with penetration.. Shooting light arrows to get the speed...

When I buy a new bow and build new arrows I'm going heavier...550-600gr I'm guessing and a pretty high FOC...

Heavier arrows also quiet a bow down immensely... Which is a big benefit in the hunting world...

A lot of guys see high KE numbers...but that's only part of the penetration equation...the other part is momentum...which is where heavier arrows shine...they carry that energy better...

I still hunt with slick trick mags...not a huge head but measure the cutting edges and it is...I love the holes and trails they leave...and I haven't had an issue with them not blowing through...they are IMO a well built head and not crazy priced...

This is absolutely spot on, especially about the momentum. The speed and KE is great but if the momentum isn't retained in the object being propelled you will lose alot of that driving force.

This is a decent anology of the subject because when you add weight to an arrow you lose speed but imagine a big league pitcher throwing a wiffle ball (light) and a regular baseball (Heavey) for a test. Now he could hit you with a 100mph wiffle ball and it will hurt some but now imagine he loses some speed due to weight and hits you with a 90mph baseball, it hurts alot more. The 90mph baseball will hurt far worse than the 100mph wiffle ball because for one it has more mass and for two it retains the momentum better due to the mass.

Kinda the same concept when you think about hitting one of these balls as well, the baseball will go farther because it's mass will retain the momentum from the force applied to it far better than the wiffle ball.

My arrow weight is 550gr with 18% foc

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:14 am

I am at 470 grains

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:26 am

approx 450
mauser06
500 Club

Re: What does your hunting arrow weigh?

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:05 am

Right on bowhusker...perfect analogy..I usually add that to my standard reply.. (this post comes up somewhat regularly and it has been something I took notice of...not a pro or super knowledgeable but I try..)

Didn't know much when I bought my first (current) bow...my first arrows were light...I bought new ones and I realized my bow was quieter..and penetration was a lot better and I couldn't figure out why...did some research and now know a bit more...

Now when I buy a new bow and arrows I am going to shoot for a better (IMO) hunting arrow...

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:11 am

517 grains.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:31 am

Shaft 10.6 gpi= 307.4
Blazer vanes= 18
Insert= 13
Nockturnal= 18
Muzzy 3 Blade= 125

Total= 481.4

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:25 am

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:27 am

361 grains. black eagle carnivore fletched with blazers a hundred grain head a ten grain nockturnal. Before i was shooting same setup just with a gold tip xt hunter and it weighed in at 417 grains.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:27 am

whitetailassasin wrote:My set up last season was 375.

I lied went back and weighed out 392.6

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:35 am

BowHusker wrote:
mauser06 wrote:Heavy arrows and high FOC have a direct correlation to penetration...

This is absolutely spot on, especially about the momentum. The speed and KE is great but if the momentum isn't retained in the object being propelled you will lose alot of that driving force.

This is a decent anology of the subject because when you add weight to an arrow you lose speed but imagine a big league pitcher throwing a wiffle ball (light) and a regular baseball (Heavey) for a test. Now he could hit you with a 100mph wiffle ball and it will hurt some but now imagine he loses some speed due to weight and hits you with a 90mph baseball, it hurts alot more. The 90mph baseball will hurt far worse than the 100mph wiffle ball because for one it has more mass and for two it retains the momentum better due to the mass.

Kinda the same concept when you think about hitting one of these balls as well, the baseball will go farther because it's mass will retain the momentum from the force applied to it far better than the wiffle ball.

My arrow weight is 550gr with 18% foc

Got to be slightly careful with analogy. The difference in weight between a wiffle ball and baseball is really great. Think of a golf ball and baseball is still a big difference in weight but a golf is gonna hurt. If your adding 10 percent of weight be realistic with it.

I understand your point guys though don't get me wrong.

But having setup youth and women. You realize how much of a advantage a 60lb bow and 29in draw is with almost any arrow. Now you get 40lbs and 25in draw. It kills deer too but requires different things. Just understand limitations.

Huge broadheads don't go through shoulders and leg bones well. Fixed blades can't either.

Sometimes I worry we get caught in weight and penetration craze. I just hope it doesn't give us the wrong impression of what shots we should take.

Last edited by kurt on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”