Dans profile

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Dans profile

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:10 am

At the Kentucky workshop walking the woods with Dan and just seeing what he would look past as others would stop to notice a run or something here and there along the way. His focus was to find where these bucks lived and I saw that real quick. Yeah he noticed the sign but if it didn't look close to bedding it was time to move on. He knew what to look for even though our population numbers are lower than I believe he had expected. He still managed to find a great bed and showed how to set up on it. The man knows what he is doing in the woods and knows how to break it all down and put a solid plan together. From seeing it first hard to reading about it on here. I can't thank you enough for the time and effort you exhaust into this hunting community Dan, your a one of a kind. Just glad to be In the mixed of it all!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mermatt83

Unread postby mermatt83 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks for sharing Dan and thanks for all the teaching too. This website and your videos and this community has really resonated with me in a powerful way. you've obviously touched a lot of lives. Also I want to add some praise to you, your wife and the overwhelming majority of the people on this site: I have NEVER seen such a clean, positive, supportive online discussion forum as this one. I used to spend lot's of time perusing AT and got so turned off by how every thread seemed to devolve into a petty "urinating" match and guys fighting and arguing their opinions, masquerading them as facts. This community on the beast seems full of real, three dimensional men and women who have egos, yet humility; confidence and self-doubt; obsession, yet self-awareness of obsession; desire to kill, yet consciences and remorse, and on and on. And you deserve much credit for setting the tone and expectation for the site. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:06 am

I've been on quite a few hunting sites ....This is THE site to go to if you want to cut the crap and get down to reality. Members here are Very passionate Hunters who are willing to share and help other hunters learn and be successful while putting egos aside. There's a reason for it and it starts at the top.
Thank you Dan !

michiganbirdman

Unread postby michiganbirdman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks for sharing Dan.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:30 pm

dan wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:Great write up!!

I was thinking the other day on your comment about tapering off the last few years on size of bucks... honestly I think that is what sets you way apart from most great buck assassins in that your desire to help others has taken precedence now and that's pretty special since most would keep it to themselves. The info we have all learned from you will be carried way longer than that wall so that is much appreciated!

Plus with a wall like that who could keep pushing that hard lol!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I think when your young you really want to prove yourself, and you want to beat everyone else. But at some point you realize, there are only a few people in your life that really care about you, or what you accomplish, and those that believe in you, always will, whether you kill another deer or not, and nobody else really cares what you have done. I read a post by someone who said something about a conversation recently where the person he was talking to was to busy talking about how great he was to hear what he was being told... It was funny, but true. You see that a lot. But, its probably part of the progression of a trophy hunter. One of the life stages we go thru... I was probably a bit cocky myself when I was younger and "smarter" than everyone else.

First off... great read.

2nd if you listen to a podcast coming soon... I said the SAME exact thing! Luckily, I realized it at a younger age I think

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:25 pm

First off... great read.

2nd if you listen to a podcast coming soon... I said the SAME exact thing! Luckily, I realized it at a younger age I think

Looking forward to your podcast Bucky... Was just talking to Mario about it yesterday. Im a big fan of you, the way you hunt, and your humble personality. 8-)
BCO

Unread postby BCO » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:55 am

Great post. There is a lot of truth to the hunting and life philosophy posted by everyone on this thread. Things only a true hunter would understand. Like how you could spend so much time scouting and hunting for a chance at a trophy deer. Its easy to get tunnel vision and lose sight of everything else going on around you...not everyone gets that or understands how it could happen. We just have to make sure to have a hunt/life balance. This forum is great and the best I have found in regards to scouting, hunting, sharing hunting information, members willing to help other members, and most importantly the character of the founder Dan. Best forum ever!!! Thanks Dan!!!
warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:33 pm

Great write hope to get half that but only time will tell

JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:41 am

dan wrote:
Haus86 wrote:Good stuff Dan! I'm bummed you didn't write more.

Its wide open man, if you have a question or would like to hear something specific, I will be happy to respond.

Awsome stuff Dan! Thanks for sharing! Hey which buck is the Rome Legand? Thats the buck you heard people yakin about around town right? And went in and seen a rub line was opened up? Walked past hunters? Why did you name it that? ! (I like it! )

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:46 am

JohnFunn wrote:
dan wrote:
Haus86 wrote:Good stuff Dan! I'm bummed you didn't write more.

Its wide open man, if you have a question or would like to hear something specific, I will be happy to respond.

Awsome stuff Dan! Thanks for sharing! Hey which buck is the Rome Legand? Thats the buck you heard people yakin about around town right? And went in and seen a rub line was opened up? Walked past hunters? Why did you name it that? ! (I like it! )

Here is a story about the hunt for that buck:
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=10497

I think it was an outdoor writer who dubbed it the "Rome Legend" not me...
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:26 am

I've had a tab open on my phone meaning to read this since the last post. Finally got a few minutes during lunch.

Great read. The most encouraging past to me was hearing how it's been tougher the last few years without spending as much time hunting. As a guy that drives 3.5 hours to hunt scrawny deer in low density areas about 6 weekends a year I know I'm not going to cover a walk with mounts. I know what I'm up against, but it always helps to hear how others struggle, even if struggling means killing a P&Y or 2 every year.
I've got tons to learn. I am here because I want to make the most of my limited hunting time and I know the knowledge is here to help me.

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

Unread postby Jlaneb » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:34 pm

This, my first season with a bow, has been a drag. I managed to arrow a doe in november, but that remains my closest encounter with a deer this season. I've yet to see a buck of any size from the stand. I found the beast late, and didn't get a lot of pre-season scouting done, and I know that this is the source of my woes. All that said, I'm still excited to hunt and love being the woods. My season runs into early February and I was checking out the all-time tactical threads in search of inspiration. I found this write-up in there, Dan, and it reminded me what this journey is all about. I'm still in it for the long haul. Thanks for getting me back on track.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 am

Jlaneb wrote:This, my first season with a bow, has been a drag. I managed to arrow a doe in november, but that remains my closest encounter with a deer this season. I've yet to see a buck of any size from the stand. I found the beast late, and didn't get a lot of pre-season scouting done, and I know that this is the source of my woes. All that said, I'm still excited to hunt and love being the woods. My season runs into early February and I was checking out the all-time tactical threads in search of inspiration. I found this write-up in there, Dan, and it reminded me what this journey is all about. I'm still in it for the long haul. Thanks for getting me back on track.

These deer always find a way to put us in check...Keep at it Jlaneb resilience is our best quality!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:00 am

If anyone is curious how small you can feel as a hunter... click on page 1 and scroll as fast as you can through Dan's pictures. This thread is always a great read! :shock:
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:If anyone is curious how small you can feel as a hunter... click on page 1 and scroll as fast as you can through Dan's pictures. This thread is always a great read! :shock:

Too true!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”