conoe question for those that own one

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

conoe question for those that own one

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:23 am

I mentioned in another thread that I'm planning on purchasing the Guidesman from Menards. I heard now that it is plastic and that is why it is a lot cheaper than others out there. would I be better off spending more money on a better canoe? the only reason is for safety reasons. (punctures while out in the bush) I don't want to get stranded. running over rocky bottom possibly.

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: conoe question for those that own one

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:37 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I mentioned in another thread that I'm planning on purchasing the Guidesman from Menards. I heard now that it is plastic and that is why it is a lot cheaper than others out there. would I be better off spending more money on a better canoe? the only reason is for safety reasons. (punctures while out in the bush) I don't want to get stranded. running over rocky bottom possibly.

I'm no expert, but I spent alot of dark mornings and nights going up and down rivers this past November. I borrowed my buddies canoe and it's metal with a foam inner liner and stability floats on the outside widest part of the boat. I ran into alot of brush snags in the dark going up and down those rivers; I definitely felt more comfortable with the metal hull of his boat. With that being said, it depends on what type of river you will be on and the obstructions you will face. I have no doubt the plastic hull canoes are very tough today and would work well.
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:41 am

if you plan on going in rocky waters rivers etc, aluminum will hold up way better then fiberglass. and if you ever decide to get a motor you can cut the back off and throw a transom on there
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 am

That's why I went with the discovery series from old town. It's 3 layer polyethylene and has a layer of foam in between. It was recommended on several sites as being a canoe that not only would hold up and last over time but not warp as well. The thin canoes are bad about warping, oil canning or whatever you wanna call it. The floatations in those comes from the seats not the foam inside the hull. So I spent a few hundred more for that piece of mind

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:47 am

I have an old Pelican Ram-x hull (roto-mold plastic hull). I've put that thing through a lot and has never let me down. I've drug it all over rocky shores, went through some whitewater rapids, rolled down hills, swamped it in the middle of a bog, and have loaded it to the gills while duck hunting. This is the only canoe I have ever owned so my opinions are a little biased, but I prefer a plastic hull boat to an aluminum canoe due to all the noise the aluminum canoe can make. Remember that you will never be traveling that fast in a canoe so you really shouldn't worry too much about puncturing a hole in the hull (unless your going through rapids). If you are worried about it you are probably doing something you shouldn't, but I have done a lot of stupid stuff with my canoe too. :lol:
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:57 am

thanks for the replies. it won't be beat up much. just may go through some shallow areas is all. I could probably make some compartments in the ends and fill with them with Great Stuff for extra flotation in case.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:28 am

A canoe is on my wish list. Things Ive read, you dont want aluminum for hunting if your trying to be quiet. Im doubting you will put a hole in that canoe on one trip. Just inspect the hull after each use and you will know long before you take on water. If the water is shallow enough to have the means to puncture the hull, you can walk to shore if it does. Plus if its thats shallow, you should be out of it walking it anyway. I would also look for one with the transom(flat back) so you can add a motor if desired. Search Scanoe.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:28 am

You cant go wrong with an old town. I personally have never used an alluminum canoe.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:41 am

You get what you pay for- I believe that lends itself quite well to your question.

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:04 am

Outdoor814 wrote:You cant go wrong with an old town. I personally have never used an alluminum canoe.

X2

Bbostrom

Unread postby Bbostrom » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:12 am

I have a 12' sports pal (aluminum) it's perfect for me the one thing I might change for next year is going to a kayak paddle. I get water on my gear crossing over every stroke other that that I love it.

rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:48 am

I have had a pelican and a coleman,both plastic. You are not going to pop a hole in em. I've canoe rapids and dragged across rocks,gravel,and ashpalt. It will scratch and gouge. Asphalt was the worst,basically it's like a grinder. I have used aluminum,there very noisy. You will be fine in whatever you choose.

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:46 pm

I have the green Guidesman. I really cannot see puncturing it while hunting. It would take a lot to damage it. Other guys here have great setups, much better than mine, specializing in silent approach. DaveT comes to mind with his video. You may want to do a search for kayak threads too.

It all depends on your budget and what you're after. We use the canoe much more in the summer with the kids than I do with hunting in the fall. It does the job though.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Big Jon

Unread postby Big Jon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:08 am

Me and my older bro use a Old Town Saranac 146 which is really nice for two people. The seatbacks are nice, and you sit in deep in the canoe which works well for streams in the marsh. If I had the money I hear "native" makes some good single person canoes and kayaks. Too be honest, I've never actually canoed with a mature buck in it, so next year... :L:
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:01 am

Big Jon wrote:Me and my older bro use a Old Town Saranac 146 which is really nice for two people. The seatbacks are nice, and you sit in deep in the canoe which works well for streams in the marsh. If I had the money I hear "native" makes some good single person canoes and kayaks. Too be honest, I've never actually canoed with a mature buck in it, so next year... :L:

I have an old town saranac 146. The thing is a beast. Would feel comfortable anywhere with it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”