Dressed weight - What does a big buck weigh?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Dressed weight - What does a big buck weigh?

Unread postby muddy » Wed May 24, 2017 9:43 am

I've never weighed one of my deer, could care less.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 24, 2017 10:30 am

muddy wrote:I've never weighed one of my deer, could care less.

Carrying antlers like that why would you. Weight is for those of us that don't kill bucks with heavy antlers. :lol:
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed May 24, 2017 2:44 pm

In the portion of NE IL SE/WI that I hunt, a 4.5+ has a pretty good shot at hitting the 200# dressed mark.

I've got two verified on a scale at 206 (pretty sure a 4.5) and 230 even (pretty sure 6.5). Also have a 196 late in November that was a long deer and would have easily cleared 200 a week earlier I would imagine and one I believe to be a 4.5 I didn't weigh, but comparing to these size wise would have been awfully close if he wasn't over, also a long deer. My brother in-law has a 5+ year old that dressed 249 with the legs cut off at the joints already, so would have cleared 250, again dressed. Biggest deer I've seen dead for sure.

Around here
1.5 100-125
2.5 135-160
3.5 150-180
4.5+ 185 +

seems to be the best ranges I've come up with from the ones I've been around.

We have plenty of food, generally mild winters, good age structure, and flat terrain, decent soils.

In Central WI where our family land is, a 200lb dressed is very rare from my experience, even with some age on them. Neither my dad or I have cleared that mark there, and only a couple confirmed over in several decades of family hunting.

230 dressed from 2016. Very long deer also, seems to potentially be a good genetic trait in my area.

Better picture for size context, I'm 6'6" 255.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri May 26, 2017 6:08 am

Dewey wrote:

Carrying antlers like that why would you. Weight is for those of us that don't kill bucks with heavy antlers. :lol:

Isn't that the truth! We Iowa hunters brag about antlers. Guys in the northeast brag about weight. Guys in high pressure areas can't brag about deer at all - so they brag about hunting pressure! :lol:

Maybe I have a weird sense of humor but it find it hilarious. And I am a part of all that, can laugh at myself too.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:13 am

JoeRE wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Isn't that the truth! We Iowa hunters brag about antlers. Guys in the northeast brag about weight. Guys in high pressure areas can't brag about deer at all - so they brag about hunting pressure! :lol:

Maybe I have a weird sense of humor but it find it hilarious. And I am a part of all that, can laugh at myself too.

Now that is funny. Gotta add- guys on pressured private brag about night time trail cam pics!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 am

I brag about shooting 2 turkeys with 1 shell, bout all I got going this year.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 26, 2017 11:23 am

JoeRE wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Up north we brag about how the wolves ate all the deer we don't see anymore. :whistle:

:lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri May 26, 2017 11:28 am

Dewey wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Up north we brag about how the wolves ate all the deer we don't see anymore. :whistle:

In MN we brag about how poor our deer herd is managed!

Not joking I saw a link the other day saying the DNR said if we want bigger bucks one option is drastically reducing numbers so they have more food available, which in turns means bigger racks!! Then a similar study from Maine was referenced. No joke.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri May 26, 2017 11:57 am

Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Dewey wrote:

In MN we brag about how poor our deer herd is managed!

Not joking I saw a link the other day saying the DNR said if we want bigger bucks one option is drastically reducing numbers so they have more food available, which in turns means bigger racks!! Then a similar study from Maine was referenced. No joke.

Had to find it

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri May 26, 2017 10:55 pm

muddy wrote:I brag about shooting 2 turkeys with 1 shell, bout all I got going this year.

Nice work! I've wanted to try that for years now but just never waited and got 2 4th season tags. Maybe next year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”