Dressed weight - What does a big buck weigh?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Dressed weight - What does a big buck weigh?

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon May 22, 2017 1:01 pm

JoeRE wrote:I still try to weigh all the bucks I shoot and don't pack out anyway...

I see Spy asked me way back when about live weight and I think I missed it. Yes I have weighed a lot of bucks with the guts in. I realize that sounds nuts to a lot of people. If its close to where we get a vehicle I drag them out whole, and weigh them whole. Helps to have two brothers who are also well over 6' tall :lol: We started doing that mostly because Dad always complained about how dirty the body cavity would get if we field dressed them growing up

These days hunting less private ground the drags are longer so I do field dress some, and pack out some. I have shot some that I know were at or over #200 dressed and some that were below that. Most late season mature bucks around here do not hit #200 dressed. In fact the only late season buck I have shot that hit #200 dressed was the one I shot last year, it was exactly #200. Most pre-rut mature bucks do hit #200 dressed. 4 year old or older bucks.

rfickes87 wrote:Also, bumping this! Dan did you ever get a field dressed weight on that 400 pound slob buck? I think that buck is so impressive.

Unfortunately that probably falls in the category of unverified. As I recall Dan said it bottomed out a 300 lb scale, which is a humongous deer and I can only hope to see something that big some day, but not certain that made it hit 400.

Dude that is when you know you are gonna be stacking the freezer. Bottoming out a #300 scale is insane.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:I'll Play. 212# obviously guts intact. KY. I've shot several that either were on the edge of 200# or just over guts intact. I'm thinking if I ever come across that 250#+ deer that it would take to get a 200# dressed deer I'm gonna pass thinking it's an elk!!!! Heaviest Fl buck 142# gut intact. I was at the check station when a guy brought a FL swamp donkey in that hit 187# on the scale. That was before I started hunting KY and I was amazed at the size of that freaking deer he just looked like a horse to me.

:lol: ;)

That's what a big spike bull weighs. Most of the 2.5 and 3.5 YO bulls I've packed out. Yielded 180-200 pounds of meat before final clean up and packaging.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 22, 2017 3:03 pm

This is my Iowa buck from November 2016 right where he died.

218 lbs dressed confirmed on my game scale at home later that night.

I have 4 confirmed that dressed over 200 lbs. I consider that weight as a benchmark for a "big" buck here in the midwest. The further north you go the bigger they get. 200 lbs isn't really that big up in Canada. I have been amazed by some I have seen pics of up there. Talk about slobs. :o
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon May 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Dewey your buck is a hoss! Ton of girth.

I had tons of cam pics of The Hulk (and video) and I thought for sure he'd hit 200. Looked him over after I shot him and figured he'd at least be within a couple pounds. Nope...190 even. Just like antler genetics, some bucks never reach 150"... Some bodies never hit 200 dressed IMO.
The buck that weighed in before me had about 100" of antler (7 pointer) and dressed 193. Rack looked like an average two year old :think:

Clink

Unread postby Clink » Mon May 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Cool thread. Up in Maine the first thing a lot of guys will ask is how much your buck weighed out. Antlers are cool but the "Big Buck Club" is sorta a big deal.
GWsaddleuser

Unread postby GWsaddleuser » Mon May 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Two year ago, i Killed a 4 yr old buck that weighed in at 178# dressed and this year, another guy on club took another 4 yr old that hit 180# dressed.
Our club is located in a fertile river bottom surrounded in crops and we have 18 food plots for the winter. That's why we are taking some nice mature heavy weights for north Mississippi.
The largest that I have taken on public land that is strictly mixed woods with no crops around, was 150# dressed 4 yr old and I have yet to take one close to that weight since. Four yr Olds on that particular public land that we hunt usually average between 125 and 130.
My thoughts are...... the weight of deer depends on the area you hunt , soIL anD time of sEason, lIke early aND late season (rut).
GWsaddleuser

Unread postby GWsaddleuser » Mon May 22, 2017 3:58 pm

GWsaddleuser wrote:Two year ago, i Killed a 4 yr old buck that weighed in at 178# dressed and this year, another guy on club took another 4 yr old that hit 180# dressed.
Our club is located in a fertile river bottom surrounded in crops and we have 18 food plots for the winter. That's why we are taking some nice mature heavy weights for north Mississippi.
The largest that I have taken on public land that is strictly mixed woods with no crops around, was 150# dressed 4 yr old and I have yet to take one close to that weight since. Four yr Olds on that particular public land that we hunt usually average between 125 and 130.
My thoughts are...... the weight of deer depends on the area you hunt , soIL anD time of sEason, lIke early aND late season (rut).

What I mean by dressed.......all insides removed (guts, liver, lungs, heart, kidneys)
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon May 22, 2017 4:12 pm

It's all about what genetic strain of deer you're hunting (Midwest, Northern, Southern, Canadian,etc), what time of the year the buck is getting killed, and nutrition. In my opinion, here in Oklahoma 150# is big. Getting around the Kansas border you could bump that to 170's. My largest buck score wise grossed in the 180's and he tipped the scales at 145# in late November 2011. The wildlife dept no longer requires weight for check ins as all check ins are done via the internet now(horrible I know). I haven't weighed a deer since then
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue May 23, 2017 12:18 am

I've seen a lot of worn down bucks dress at 180 with zero fat on them, way too big and mature not to dress well over 200 earlier in the year. Amazing how they can lose that much weight.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:29 am

headgear wrote:I've seen a lot of worn down bucks dress at 180 with zero fat on them, way too big and mature not to dress well over 200 earlier in the year. Amazing how they can lose that much weight.

JoeRE has made this same point several times.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue May 23, 2017 2:55 am

Being raised in New England, the measuring stick that was impressed upon me at an early age was 200# dressed weight. Know 2 guys who've done this - my uncle with a 230# and a 247# from ME, and a fellow in VT who has 3 or 4 from 207# to about 225#.

Pretty much, my largest bodied deer is a spike, shot in 96 in VT - 140# dressed. LOL! Have two 3.5 yr old southern bucks (GA & SC) that went 180 pounds whole - about the same size as that spike! Also have a 132# dressed doe to my credit - my first deer.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue May 23, 2017 11:37 am

A lot of times I can tell if a buck is going to weigh a lot by length. In the garage when you have to bungee the head up to get a weight that is a sure sign of 200 plus. But sometimes 4.5 and older weigh 180 just depends on length. Taller people generally carry same trait. The older the buck the smaller the home range the bigger the belly I will agree. But I think length plays a role.

I've weighed deer with guts in as well. Its not smart to gut in areas you still want to hunt when in wolf country.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Its interesting that many people from New England also think that all deer south and west of here are small.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 23, 2017 12:17 pm

We weigh all our bucks with the guts in, have had one over 300lb that was killed oct 12thish and another one last year I think woulda hit 300lb in October, weighed 275lb killed opening day of gun. The mature ones are typically 240-270 live weight, most have been killed earlier in the season lately too.

The 300lb

275 on opening of gun, not a great angle
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed May 24, 2017 2:49 am

JoeRE wrote:I still try to weigh all the bucks I shoot and don't pack out anyway...

I see Spy asked me way back when about live weight and I think I missed it. Yes I have weighed a lot of bucks with the guts in. I realize that sounds nuts to a lot of people. If its close to where we get a vehicle I drag them out whole, and weigh them whole. Helps to have two brothers who are also well over 6' tall :lol: We started doing that mostly because Dad always complained about how dirty the body cavity would get if we field dressed them growing up

These days hunting less private ground the drags are longer so I do field dress some, and pack out some. I have shot some that I know were at or over #200 dressed and some that were below that. Most late season mature bucks around here do not hit #200 dressed. In fact the only late season buck I have shot that hit #200 dressed was the one I shot last year, it was exactly #200. Most pre-rut mature bucks do hit #200 dressed. 4 year old or older bucks.

rfickes87 wrote:Also, bumping this! Dan did you ever get a field dressed weight on that 400 pound slob buck? I think that buck is so impressive.

Unfortunately that probably falls in the category of unverified. As I recall Dan said it bottomed out a 300 lb scale, which is a humongous deer and I can only hope to see something that big some day, but not certain that made it hit 400

Here is the article and story about Dan's Slob buck.

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1350

Also, some giant bucks showing up on the thread. It's getting me pumped.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”