Who still gets that feeling?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Who still gets that feeling?

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:18 pm

You know that feeling you get when you know you're going to release an arrow on an animal..some may call it buck fever...i call it deer fever. My heart starts pumping and I get a rush like no other.

I've always thought I would only get that feeling on bucks but man, I was out tonight trying to lay a doe to rest on a turnip plot. A little spiker came in at 30 yards and before I could tell it was a spike I had the biggest rush (adrenaline, a little shaking, heart beating fast)...I still have it. Greatest feeling ever..I hope with time I don't lose it. I always wonder if I might...

2 does did eventually come out, but 40 yards behind me and busted me...I should have setup differently, but didn't think they would circle to get wind of the plot. Makes me wanna setup on their little sneaky circling route and show them who's boss :twisted:.

First time back in the tree since Muzzle loader...no cover, limited movement, choppy weather...but it was a good time.

Dewey

Re: Who still gets that feeling?

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Been getting it since before I was even old enough to hunt. Now that feeling comes on strong after the shot. I get extremely calm and focussed before the shot but shortly after my heart races and I have to sit down because my body shakes pretty bad. If that feeling ever goes away I know it's time to hang it up.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:43 pm

I used to get that feeling way too much! I was a nervous wreck in my younger days. I've got enough kills under my belt to power through it and make better decisions than I have in the past, but I get deer fever no doubt.

I love it because I can let does walk and not get nervous at all, but when I know I am going to kill one then I get nervous.

A few years ago while rifle hunting in SD, my group and I were chatting with the landowner of the Walk In Area we were hunting. He told us that he grew up out there but never hunted until the year prior. He said, "I've watched deer in my hayfields my whole life and didn't think nothin' of 'em, but when it came time to pull my gun up and shoot, I GOT PRETTY NERVOUS!" We all laughed.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:50 pm

I remain pretty calm and go into kill mode. I do remember the heart racing years ago. I hated it, you have to have control of your faculties. When you go into buck fever mode it can cost you. My objective is to kill the buck, so I try and make the task as easy as possible.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:07 pm

I get excited but not buck fever where you shake. I mostly gun hunt so maybe that's part of it. But I remain pretty calm taking a shot. After I take an animal I get excited but not like you see in the hunting shows in tv where they hoop and holler and act all crazy. I do feel that rush tho. The two times I have had buck fever were when I had a doe right under my stand trying to make me out and looking up at me. That still gets me when they're on to me but not to the point of buck fever like it used to.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:03 am

With the doe I got this year I did. In the previous 2 seasons with a small 8 and doe I did not get that rush until after the shot. The buck I got this year I had a slight wave come over when I realized it was the buck I wanted but quickly went into kill mode. I tell myself " I'm the hunter that's my prey, they should be nervous not me". When I watched him fall and take his last breaths though, I had to sit down and double check that I was strapped in. I love it

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:28 am

I also go into kill mode... Everything gets super focused.. I lock on to the vitals n get very calm... After the shot is when i feel the release of adrenaline.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:33 am

I get the shakes right up till the shot an then I focus on the shot. After the shot, I will sit there an shake the leaves out of the trees sometimes. :mrgreen:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:23 am

Stanley wrote:I remain pretty calm and go into kill mode. I do remember the heart racing years ago. I hated it, you have to have control of your faculties. When you go into buck fever mode it can cost you. My objective is to kill the buck, so I try and make the task as easy as possible.

X2 on that. Heart is pumping a little harder when I first see the buck but I don't get shakes anymore. Stay angry and stay focused ...or call it "kill mode" is good . Stay that way until after I know the buck is down. Then it's time to celebrate ! ;)

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:17 am

I got it more when I was younger. I still get the adrenaline but Ive learned to use it on focus now. Your body goes into a fight or flight mode when adrenaline kicks in. What causes the shaking.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:22 am

GET IT EVER TIME :mrgreen: :lol:

I don't shake until after the shot, before then im in kill mode and know what I need to do
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:41 am

That's the look of a serial killer. Dan has taught you well.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:52 am

my adrenaline(fight or flight) has been out of whack since I was 20. I had a bad inner ear infection and after that every time I would either get into a fight(not any more lol) compete like run a race or play sports or HUNT. when my adrenaline surges I get dizzy spinning head over heals bad. so its been a chore trying to keep myself under control and usually have no control over it. this is the 1st year I have barely had any of that stuff happen and I love it, so I guess im the opposite from most. im with stan on this one. I did get the shakes after I killed my monster this year, but it wasn't until after the shot and strangely it took about 3 or 4 minutes for it to happen, and I was ok with that.......ive even had all kinds of test run its been so bad over the years, ive even missed work from dizzy spells, so it goes beyond just adrenaline for me but that is a definite trigger.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:03 am

I get a little predatory feeling, its a very serious thing. I know I can go to the store for food, but I want to take some meat home.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:04 am

....and I cant fight this feeling anymore.....
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”