Mixing it up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Mixing it up

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:24 am

Over the years I have noticed that once in a while I get stuck in a rut. I convince myself that I have a location figured out, when in reality, when I go out on a limb and do something different, sometimes I find something that's even better.

Dan talks about does and smaller bucks stringing you along, and for most of my life I have been guilty of that. The perfect example of me stringing myself along and not trying something new is the farm grove I killed my buck in this year. This was the 4th year I've hunted it. When I started here (pre-beast) the resident landowner told me how they move, what he sees, and how he hunted it. He was seeing deer and passing smaller bucks in the NW corner. I adapted and had success there too, both hunting and with daylight trail cam pics of shooters.

I knew that the does bedded MOSTLY on the south end, but this grove is so small that they'd eventually make their way north to me. Especially cruising bucks. I had a cam in the south end once. I believe it was earlier in the year. Activity was similar to what I found on the north end. I stayed the course and was stuck in a rut so to speak. After all TV and magazines teach you to leave bedding areas alone. I did and t seemed to be working.

This fall I decided to mix it up and put two cameras on the south end, and one on the north where I always have it. I'm basically invading the fringe of their bedding and risking bumping bedded does. And I did once. My north camera showed typical (if not sub par) movement, but the cameras on the south end, especially one, was on fire with rut activity. All year it was doe, doe, doe, little buck, doe, doe, and all the same does. When the rut came, the bucks were everywhere on the south end an sometimes on the north end.

I scouted the south end yesterday and it was absolutely ripped up with rubs and scrapes. The thing is, scouting it during the summer yields nothing but does. Stopping back in the spring without trail camera use, I would think I found buck bedding galore. The bucks are only there during rut, and that's when they're leaving that sign, and that's the only time they'll bed in there too.

From the north end I can't see movement on the south end. Trail cameras and having a "hunt the bedding" mindset just put the last piece of the puzzle together for me.

You can bet the farm I'll be hunting it hard in 2016.

After learning this, I now know of another doe bedding area with buck sign in it, that I will leave until rut. I misread the sign thinking it would hold bucks early in the year as well. I have yet to watch a buck come out of it, but I've passed several does and haven't gave it a good rut sit yet. I see the bucks on the other end of the property early. Now I know when to hunt where on this property too.

I'm still a rookie beast, but just wanted to share this to help you put your pieces of the puzzle together. Spring scouting and hunting alone won't always give you the answers you need. Trail cameras, in season scouting, summer glassing, observation stands... Everything has it's place.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Mixing it up

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:02 am

Great post. If you keep doing the same thing the results will be the same.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Great post. The trick now will be trusting what you saw and resisting the temptation to hunt it until prime time next year, based on what your intel told you this year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Heck yeah man! I got out of my comfort zone a few times this season and came very close to capitalizing on bigger bucks because of it.

Also the first year I've run cams in season.

The journey never ends and I love it.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks for sharing lockdown. Enjoyable read.

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:23 pm

I think alot of people get into a rut where they have had success once or twice in previous seasons and they end up saying "well ive shot a couple nice ones here before so if i sit here enough something has to happen"..

I 150% agree just mixing things up and trying something out of the ordinary can yield great success. Great post lockdown!

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:12 am

3 or 4 years ago, I saw about a dozen shooters over 2 or 3 days from one stand location during the rut. I have not seen a single deer in that same location in 3 sits since then (1 per year). Only takes the right buck, in the right location, at the right time. I feel like I have to stay mobile and mix it up each hunt to have success on small parcels. (And have a lot of them to hunt).
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:32 pm

The thing about the north end of this grove, I considered the stand I had there my best stand location out of all the public and two private spots I hunt. And EVERY year I had pics of shooters within range on my stand in daylight. It's the same old story... can I get lucky enough to be there on the day that Mr. Big shows up? One day I was, and had the big 8 point I was chasing for three years chase a doe right under me, but he never stopped to offer a shot. :roll:

Moral of the story, even if things are going [glow=red]great[/glow], it's not impossible they get even better. In my case, my set up was solid and I had a "if it's not broke don't fix it" view point. Trail cameras were the key to unraveling the south end.

If you're not using trail cameras, you're missing out on valuable information.

Also I will add that the South end is way tougher to hunt wind wise, so that factored in. In such a small grove (it's probably 75 yards wide by 300 yards long), not getting busted and keeping the deer from heading to the neighbors is the name of the game. Now that I know I'm missing out on some action, I will find a way to make something work.

ALL THREE OF THESE PICTURES WERE TAKEN IN RANGE OF MY STAND. And I have more pics from other years and other shooter bucks.

Do you see what I mean?! Why change? Why would I ever hunt anywhere else in that grove? I am 100% positive that the action in the south end is going to be better. Mix it up... try new things. You never know what you'll find.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Good info. Thanks!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:34 am

Rut beds threw me for a loop this year also. Thought I had found a dozen great buck bedding areas last spring and ended up with one. :lol: Trail cams, scouting and hunting have narrowed down the "when" part for me also. Good post Lockdown!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:08 am

Zona wrote:Rut beds threw me for a loop this year also. Thought I had found a dozen great buck bedding areas last spring and ended up with one. :lol: Trail cams, scouting and hunting have narrowed down the "when" part for me also. Good post Lockdown!

What can I say... I get fooled easily LOL. Many times rut beds get mentioned on the beast. I always took it to mean the buck bedding is NEAR the doe bedding. And I'm sure that is true in many cases. However in the farmland I hunt bedding is pretty limited (especially when you're talking tiny farm groves like this.). I'm now realizing that often times the bucks are accompanying those does IN the doe bedding.

Just another thing for us to keep in mind when we're scouting.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed May 23, 2018 3:24 pm

BUMP

Pics from the south end this year. Last two were the same buck. I have hunted the South end some, but with mixed success. I haven’t had an opportunity to hunt the location where the camera was placed. Super tough to get in and out especially on a morning hunt. Probably toughest spot in the grove to hunt wind wise. Maybe... just maybe... that’s why they like it :think:

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed May 23, 2018 4:05 pm

So with this thread being a couple years old how has your strategy changed since the first post? It would be intresting to hear the ups and downs of this set up area, And what has evolved you into doing this up and coming season! Nice pics by the way :clap:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu May 24, 2018 1:57 am

X2 LD. I know we have talked about this spot just never knew you had a thread from 2 years ago. I too would like to hear the change in thoughts.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu May 24, 2018 4:11 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:So with this thread being a couple years old how has your strategy changed since the first post? It would be intresting to hear the ups and downs of this set up area, And what has evolved you into doing this up and coming season! Nice pics by the way :clap:

2016 I went in mid summer to trim the set right where the camera was placed. It’s a little bit difficult to make an efficient set right there (even keeping wind out of the equation) because the trees are super crooked, there’s a lot of trimming/chainsawing to do, and there happens to be a bunch of trash and rocks piled at the base of the two trees. There’s an old stove I thought about hiding behind but with the rocks it made adjusting for different shots tricky. Plus a big storm knocked a tree down covering what would have been my main shooting area.

So I ended up talking myself into a set on the very south edge, right in the middle. It’s only 60 yards or so from where I really wanted to be. A big bonus of that set was access so I figured it was worth a shot. Way less likely to bump deer there and ruin my hunt before it started.

I believe I hunted it 3 times during rut. I had one sit where I saw nothing. One sit I passed a couple does and a little buck, and another where I saw a few does out of range. One of those was a morning hunt where a target 3 yr old buck showed up on cam on the north end in gray light. Funny how that works, right? :lol:

I was bummed but in my heart of hearts I was ok with it since I really wanted The Hulk. My #1 buck that I had 3 yrs of history with.

I hunted the North end a bunch of times too, both gun and bow, but never saw a shooter from stand on either end.

Of course I still had the cam on the honey hole SW corner. Showed great action again. I did place a cam in a new spot on the SE corner over a scrape, results were decent but only had one shooter show up in daylight late October. Pretty confident he bedded there that morning... got him on cam that evening. Neighbors ended up killing him. But having cams on the SW honey hole and SE corner at the same time was eye opening. SE cam was pretty dead compared to the honey hole! 100 yards is the difference between being out of the game or watching a near buck parade.

So heading into 2017 I wanted a stand in the honey hole worse than ever. But with a couple month old daughter and a 2 year old at home I never got the chance to make it happen. I went in there one day with limited time, and decided I was going to make something work, even though it would be a less than ideal set. After staring at it for 20 minutes I left frustrated and trimmed the south central stand out again. No matter what I went through in my mind there was always something glaringly wrong.

I might end up building something out of wood and doing a few hours of chainsaw work. It’s super thick in there.

I only hunted that property (Oscar’s) 3 times last year. I was on a big public land kick, and still am, and I wanted to kill one on a textbook public bed hunt. Never saw a shooter on public all season. Biggest was a 100” two year old that I passed. Hunt #1 was in a new set I made on the north end. Passed 3 does. Didn’t want to set up South central because they’d be bedded north of me and heading North (most often) on an evening hunt. hunt #2 was south wind so I had no choice but to hunt the North end. Saw the buck in the last two pics with a hot doe. Had him at 60 or so yards through the trees. They came from the South but did not go in front of the honey hole cam that day.

Hunt #3 I was heading elsewhere during muzzy season to try for a giant a few miles away. But I saw several little bucks standing outside the grove and figured there might be a big one in there with a doe. That’s what it was, too. The last pic I posted was taken that day... same buck I saw on my bowhunt there. It was a northwest wind and I couldn’t get to where I wanted without winding half of the south end or approaching downwind out in the wide open. Couldn’t do that because the deer were on their feet on that end. So I snuck along the North edge and ended up getting a shot at that 11 pointer when he stepped out and locked on to me.

I gave Dad permission to hunt it last fall. He sat the north end 3 times and passed some does. Didn’t see any shooters.

I’ve been meaning to do an in depth thread on this grove with a detailed aerial showing my findings. It’s a crazy spot because driving by it all summer you just a see a few does standing outside it. And a yearling buck or two occasionally. But those does are ALWAYS THERE. ALWAYS. Unless it’s post season with deep snow then they leave.

The neighbors property is one of the best in west central MN. And those bucks know the does are there. I have noticed mornings seem to produce the most for big bucks. Here’s my theory as to why. Oscar’s doesn’t have a water source. The prime property next door does. So in the middle of the night mama goes cross country for water. That is when a cruising buck comes across her trail and follows her home.

I do see cruising here too, but not MANY mature bucks. Once in a while I will. The big boys have their pick of the litter in the prime property and don’t need to leave. The few three year olds that are around need a doe though, so that’s why seeing them cruise Oscars is much more common. I give credit to MagicMan and some of his threads for the thought process I just explained. Every so often when a big one is without a doe they cut her track and follow her back. I’m confident that’s what The Hulk did a couple times in 2015 as a 4.5 yr old. In 2016 I got night pics of him but none of him with or chasing a doe. Just luck of the draw that year.

The day I killed him I hunted Oscars in the morning. Saw a little buck and several does. No rutting activity. No excitement. No sign of a hot doe in there. That said, what would it take for the Hulk to show that night??? :think: Most likely a hot doe being chased in which wasn’t likely. He wasn’t going to cross 1/2 mile of open plowing alone and hope to happen upon a hot doe in there. Chances are he already had one because he was the biggest around and it was mid November. Peak lockdown.

So that’s why I decided to try my hand in Nazi’s low land bedding that evening. I was hoping he was already there with a hot doe. Got lucky and he stood up 75 yards away an hour before dark. His demeanor was like a cow out to pasture. Lazy and lethargic. Doe was laying in the cattails right next to him but I didn’t know that until I gave him the kill shot.

Sorry about going off on a tangent there, the last half doesn’t really pertain to the original post. Just figured a member or two might be able to apply my thought process to one of their own situations.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”