WHO LOVES THE LATE SEASON?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
adudeuknow

WHO LOVES THE LATE SEASON?

Unread postby adudeuknow » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:04 pm

I know I do. I'm pretty dedicated when it comes to the late season and have done almost enough so many times it's gotten annoying. I set up with a specific deer in mind and while I could have killed many late season bucks they have always taken that step that has kept them right out of harms way.

Please share your experiences and knowledge and we can have a fun and educational thread.

Good shooting!

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
Matty

Re: WHO LOVES THE LATE SEASON?

Unread postby Matty » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Kind of.

It can be a great time to get back on pattern-able bucks....but it usually brings snow. Snow is great!!!...

EXCEPT....everyone can see my boot tracks and find where I hunt. I am extremely paranoid about that on public land. So it's usually a time I stay away from good spots. Usually just shoot a doe or two for the freezer if the areas I'm hunting need it. If there's no snow, I will try for a last minute buck.

Of course this year it's been shorts and t-shirt weather so far.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Has become on of my favorite times to hunt. If I have some public ground that is holding a buck I feel I can kill that deer. They stick pretty tight to their cover and as long as you hunt smart, they are very kill able late season. Finding where they are living and being able to hunt that specific area is often the biggest challenge. Have some that bed on the private near the public and that actually get up and come toward the public ground in the evening but don't make it till well after dark. Not much to do there other than wait for a major front to come in and that will often get them on their feet sooner. Biggest thing is hunt smart and do not over hunt areas late. They have already had tons of pressure on them so if you get in and stink up an area, the mature deer will become even more so nocturnal.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:02 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:Has become on of my favorite times to hunt. If I have some public ground that is holding a buck I feel I can kill that deer. They stick pretty tight to their cover and as long as you hunt smart, they are very kill able late season. Finding where they are living and being able to hunt that specific area is often the biggest challenge. Have some that bed on the private near the public and that actually get up and come toward the public ground in the evening but don't make it till well after dark. Not much to do there other than wait for a major front to come in and that will often get them on their feet sooner. Biggest thing is hunt smart and do not over hunt areas late. They have already had tons of pressure on them so if you get in and stink up an area, the mature deer will become even more so nocturnal.

Spot on! Last couple seasons I have really been paying attention to being in the game late season. The key is undestanding pressure, they have had alot of it, however alot of guys give up before late season. Last season and this one I have been successful by taking a break from my best areas around Thanksgiving and hanging cams instead of hunting. After 2-4 weeks pull the cans n look for daylight patterns. Foid is scarce now so they will move where they feel safe. Strike quick if a pattern emerges, Iv found mornings to be king in this scenario.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:59 am

As much as the early and mid! :lol: :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:59 am

I love then entire season......early, middle and late.

Prefer cold and snow for late season but so far it's not looking good for either. Right now the deer really have no urge to feed hard but that changes with single digit temps. Hopefully after Christmas conditions finally change. Not much time left.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:07 am

Late season can be the best or it can be a bust. Food sources are key.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

Unread postby jboswell » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:08 am

I enjoy late season a bunch... im afraid it will be tough this year with no snow and warm temps though
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:56 pm

The last few years I have found myself enjoying the late season more and more. Most guys around here have put their guns and bows away so It's me and the flintlock hunters in the woods. I love to hunt in the snow and late season is usually the best time here.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:33 pm

I would love to love the late season. However, family is about sick of my hunting hobby by then and the Christmas Darin's brings other priorities with extended family and work.

Thinking about out of state late late season in Ohio where it goes through January.

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:26 pm

I like all the seasons too..
Late season is often when I have the most opportunity to hunt.
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Our late season is 10 days. Gun season for 21 days really takes its toll and put the deer on nocturnal patterns so seeing deer is few and far between after the gun season. Unless you can get a deer that was pushed by a hunter coming in or leaving or you found bedding areas they are using. Private land can be different but I hunt all public property. I haven't had much success late season.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:37 pm

I only like it if there's snow on the ground

[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:58 pm

Late season is one of my favorite times to hunt. Not even for mature bucks, even just doe hunting its something i look forward to every year. Too bad this year it isnt looking like were getting snow though...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”