Deer vs turkey interest here?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mauser06
500 Club

Re: Deer vs turkey interest here?

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:37 am

Like was said...different times of year so I don't have to choose...

If I did....it'd be turkey.

Killing a 3+yo Tom in pressured areas of PA is as hard or harder than killing a mature buck....

I see guys absolutely luck into a mature buck...

That isn't the case very often with a mature Tom...you gotta know how to play their games...

Every 3+to bird I've killed has been cat n mouse and more of a chess match..and taken an incredible amount of patience....

Not like a Jake or 2yo...

There is nothing as rewarding to ending that chess match with a dead ton with long sharp hooks...

That's what does it for ME. I killed that bird in the LAST morning after chasing him for nearly a month....

To be fair....killing mature bucks is a struggle for me...

I think I love the frustration of both...

Shooting deer is pretty easy.....chasing a mature buck...especially with a bow..I love it...

I think as I start seeing more success killing mature bucks I will enjoy it more...my issue is its like I'm peeing into the wind and by the end of the season I'm frustrated...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:53 am

Both.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:01 am

I do turkey hunt, kill a couple big gobblers every year on public land...not much of a challenge there so it's not something I really get into. Pretty much any 3yo bird is a trophy, there a dime a dozen (around here).

Mature buck with bow 8/10
Deer with the bow 5/10
Deer with the gun 0/10
Turkey hunting 2/10...the only reason they get a 2 is because they taste good, lol.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:12 am

To add to that. I had the state record archery turkey for a few year's and didn't even know it, not that I really would have cared or claimed it, lol. I had known idea they even keep such records at the time. Kinda like the record for the biggest ball of yarn.

mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:44 am

who made your double sided slate? I make slate, glass, aluminum & combos too. Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”