Marsh meets hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tbunao
500 Club

Marsh meets hill country

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:24 pm

A little late night film study session has brought something to my attention. In both hill country and marsh DVDs the focus is all about one or the other. So what do you do/begin in areas that have a substantial size marsh that's transition line is hill country? Have you seen where bucks chose one over the other? From what little experience I have I would say hunter access and pressure will play a role in this. Just curious

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

brkissl82
500 Club

Re: Marsh meets hill country

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Ill b keeping an eye on this i have also wondered this

[ Post made via Android ] Image
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:36 pm

The same principals apply- the deer stick to the edges and they live where people frequent the least. In my experience- the people stay up top in the hills and leave the cattails to those of us with a beast mindset. Go find yourself a hardwood island/a couple trees, a single tree, dogwood, other brush or just dry spots in those cattails and you will find beds.
I'm not saying to ignore the hills though. If you can find a section that's hard to get to/overlooked- you could very well be in the money there as well.

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Theres one piece of public that i hunt where its very thick nasty wet marsh and its only 60 acres but its surrounded on 3 sides by roads and the 4th side is private land that is very steep hill terrain. Theres some pressure from guys on the private land but ive seen enough big bucks over in that area and every one of them were hanging out in the thick nasty stuff on public.

Like you said i think pressure pushes them in there...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Basically what I was thinking. Average joes hate water and super thick nasty stuff which leads to less invasive areas that equals a better buck area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”