Late Season Food Source Staging

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
briar
500 Club

Late Season Food Source Staging

Unread postby briar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:49 am

I have never been much of a late season hunter, but this year I saved a tag to try to get some experience. I scouted on Sunday and was lucky enough to find a standing cornfield about 600 yards from a pretty thick swamp. I found a creek with a crossing with trails crossing about 4 different ways at that spot and a tree about 40 yards close to the field from that where I can get in pretty easy without disturbing anything. I hung a camera there to see if I catch anything in the daylight passing through.

The whole setup is about 200 yards from the corn......is this about right? I will likely hunt the first time January 1

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Late Season Food Source Staging

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:27 am

Depends how cold the weather gets and how much pressure the area got earlier. If the temps are above average there like they are here you will need to be right on top of the bedding to see a buck in daylight and even then the odds are low. I am seeing almost zero daylight movement right now although we still have a gun season going on. If it gets really cold, your setup might be great. In warm weather deer don't need to eat as much plain and simple. I scouted around an unpicked cornfield the other day and saw hardly a fresh track...temps are 10-15 degrees above average.

Keep a close eye on it even if there is not much activity right now. All you need is a few days of cold weather and deer will start pounding that corn. The closer you get to the end of the season, the better probably. The extended forecast looks bad with above average temps here but all you need is a couple really cold days at the end of the season so wait it out. I probably would not pressure it much till you get better weather/or you are running out of time. Good luck!
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:37 am

I agree with Joe. In MI we still have muzzy going now, and the oldest surviving bucks are all 1.5 to 2.5. Even those bucks are smart enough to stay put until after dark with this warm weather. Any cold front could get them going early, especially the first day or 2 of cold. Leave the cam until you get a couple days of cold weather and then Id hunt it. Let us know what you learn after hunting it and checking the camera.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:49 am

I agree with jd506. A cold front or major storm is the best bet to get them hitting the food source in daylight. Even then it'll be tough finding a mature buck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:12 am

I agree with JoeRE if there was appreciable pressure, you want to get as tight to the bedding as you can. I'm running 13 cameras right now so see if I even have a hunt. I have 3 cameras on the main trails to the ag fields three at the funnels and then everything else back on the bedding to figure where the buck bedding is and if there is any daytime movement I can exploit.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:47 am

Thanks for all the help guys. I should have stated that I am just meat hunting. Any deer will do. The season goes until January 9 so I have a short window of 2 weeks, 2-3 days hunting until its over. the area had some pressure, but now awful. These are smaller acreage deer on private land, that may see a few hunters but not too bad.

Our gun season ended last Saturday and it was very warm so not many hunters were out. The deer will have a 3 week break from people being after them. We shall see what the camera says. that first week of January looks to get in the teens at night, maybe that will give me my lucky break... :D
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 am

Can you observe from a distance at all? Not much daylight to make it out after work, but if you can glass the last 20 minutes that will tell you a lot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:08 am

I thought about that lockdown........but I do get home late from work, at least too late to catch any daylight. I do drive by it today so maybe I will go that way and see if there are deer in any surrounding fields. From the road where the deer would come from is not visible. The field is road on 2 sides and woods on two sides so seeing any deer from a distance they would have to be out of that area.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:30 am

I see, understand what your goal is now. In that case check the cam and proceed accordingly. If there is daylight movement set up there and whack a big old nanny!

I agree glassing would help if possible too, seeing just where they are coming out. You have plenty of time and late season deer are as predictable as they get as long as you don't have too many other hunters so if you have several days in a row to hunt I might try an observation sit the first night and set up to kill a doe the second.

If there is not daylight movement....still just sit tight.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:26 am

Oh meat hunting late season I find pretty easy and fun. And yeah once again I agree with JoeRE.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”