Pay attention to buck escape routes?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
WSalzNC

Pay attention to buck escape routes?

Unread postby WSalzNC » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Do you guys give any weight to buck escape routes from bedding when planning where to set up? Meaning, do you ever find that escape routes are "preferred exits" at other times?

I walked into this bedding area from the NW when i found this spot a month ago, same wind as shown (from West). I heard/saw him trot off the SW, into the wind, down into the hardwood draw... only saw the brown line of his back, heard him trotting.

The points are mostly pine/cedar, and the draws and creek bottom are hardwoods, with a decent amount of white oak. Not much ag anywhere around so I'm counting on acorns (in any left) and browse to be the go-to food....

I'm planning on setting up to hopefully catch him exiting along his rub line (blue dots) heading SE (green line). Should I set up to cover both that SE rubline route and the SW escape path, or are escape routes random?

oldrank

Re: Pay attention to buck escape routes?

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Because I hunt small lots of public alot I really key in on escape routes. Almost every gun buck I kill is running an escape route .. I work the back side of bedding areas. The key for me is human pressure. By knowing access trails and certain bedding I loop around to the back side relying on sloppy hunters to push bucks to me. I also study the wind for the day and have had success posting up on escape trails down wind of human trails. I dont have stacks of big bucks where I hunt so most are younger deer but my top 3 bucks were all killed opening morning of gun using these tactics.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:16 pm

For your particular scenario, I would not pay any attention to what that buck did if you plan on hunting him with natural movement.

Escape paths are taken due to danger approaching, usually danger approaches using the easiest access, easiest access are generally preferred entry/exit. Kind of like when cops go the front door and back door of a criminals house, he goes out a window. Doesn't mean he crawls out the window every morning… Not a perfect analogy but you get the point.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:32 pm

I try and focus on where the buck will go under no duress. I'm with PK_ on this one.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:09 am

Yes, basically use this memory for drives to put people on point...
Works!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:18 am

PK_ wrote:For your particular scenario, I would not pay any attention to what that buck did if you plan on hunting him with natural movement.

Escape paths are taken due to danger approaching, usually danger approaches using the easiest access, easiest access are generally preferred entry/exit. Kind of like when cops go the front door and back door of a criminals house, he goes out a window. Doesn't mean he crawls out the window every morning… Not a perfect analogy but you get the point.

I think it really clears the point up perfectly PK!! Good one!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:50 am

I hunt a controlled hunt when on the first day I sit over looking a bench. It is an escape route that is used by the deer just about every hunt between 9:00am - 11:00am. I have shot several bucks there over the last few years. No monsters but freezer filler is always welcome.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”