Do any of you bowhunters NOT gunhunt ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AC Rider
500 Club

Re: Do any of you bowhunters NOT gunhunt ?

Unread postby AC Rider » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:47 am

I bowhunt only - because in MN I can bowhunt during the gun season.

cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:29 am

I bowhunt only. Catch alot of flack over not carrying a gun in the woods over it too. Oh well, Im happy. Bowhunting just clicks w/ me. Not that Im great at it, it just speaks to my soul kinda. Gun season basically last 3/4 of the deer season in NC. Guns always going off.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:34 am

I don't even own a gun of my own anymore. I started my deer hunting career with a shotgun first the ol' mans Remington 1100 12ga. or the 870, but eventually bought a Mossberg 500 when I was 15 many moons ago. I sold that to one of my brothers once the bow bug bit me. I still hunt during all the seasons but just with my bow.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 am

I really enjoy gun hunting. I just started bow hunting three years ago and love that too. i like seeing the deer unpressured and the rut activities. however gun hunting is a lot of fun for me too, especially the drives. I would never not do it and since I have never shot a buck with a gun or bow, I would be extremely happy however I killed the deer.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:55 am

I do both, and enjoy both... But bow hunting is my passion. Most of the deer I have taken with gun ironically have been within bow range... My true love is deer hunting, regardless of weapon I have a passion for whitetails. But one on one with a bow is something that can't be beat.

Andrae just bow hunts, he never got into gun hunting and all his kids except his very youngest just bow hunt. A long, long time ago we used to hunt the same private property and gun toters would try and sneak on the property and drive it or sit it when we were not there, so one year we decided to sit it and guard it from the trespassers. I had a gun license and was going to gun hunt and felt a little guilty so I pushed Andrae into hunting to... Just for fun. A 140 to 145 class buck ran past me and I took a shot at it and missed. When it passed Andrae he dropped it. Back in those days both of us thought a buck like that was a good buck, and it was back then. I believe that is the only day Andrae ever gun hunted...
A week or two later I went over to his house to chat and noticed his dog chewing on the skull of the 140 inch buck... I asked Andrae about it and he said he wouldn't "taint his wall" with a gun kill :lol:
I said, well if you leave that lay in your yard someone is going to steal it...
He looked at me funny and said who would steal it?
About a week later he called me up laughing that someone had actually stole the head out of his yard and said "You were right"
He said if they would of asked he would of given it to them and told me he felt bad about shooting it.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:44 am

I grew up gun hunting, but since picking up a bow, gun hunting just doesnt excite me as much as bowhunting does, so I havent picked up a gun here in MN for a few years now..I always have high hopes of going muzzleloading each season, but I just cant put the bow down..

My family gun hunts in wisconsin each season, and I go because its family tradition. I would carry a bow if I could though..
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:50 am

Have not gun hunted in almost 10 years.......I can and do bow hunt through the gun season as it is legal in the CWD zone.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:06 pm

We still gun hunt for the sake of tradition. In the past I wanted my sons first deer hunting experience to be with a gun. But with my youngest son I think he will be a bow hunter before he hunts with a gun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”