Clockwork Buck: Where does he bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Clockwork Buck: Where does he bed?

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:18 am

Buckfever wrote:
SamPotter wrote:
Buckfever wrote:Was he heading north?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

South, the blue arrow is his direction of travel.

On 12/2 he was head south back to bed in the morning but before, those sightings were in the evening heading south? Seems consistent with excursions. They were probably cycling back in and he was making another round of scent checking. That's a nice rut funnel.

You have to find him somewhere else.

The photos I got of him on 12/2 were the only ones I ever got at that location. Here is posed as though he is already stuffed and hanging on the wall:

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:27 am

That's what I was asking where was he on 12/2 and what direction of travel?Do you have him at any other locations other than scrape and where you caught him on 12/2?

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:44 am

I have seen some bucks have very consistent cruising/seeking activity like that. Just this year I got a big buck coming through 3 times in a week within a 30 minute time period each time. Have to remember cruising doesn't mean they are necessarily on their feet all day moving randomly, but they are just going from location to location at some point patrolling for does....still might be bedding for much of the day depending on how excited they are feeling.

He is probably bedded somewhere to the north part of the day from what you describe but since its the rut hard to say how far he has traveled to that point. I wouldn't get to carried away with pinpointing that when you already have a great setup location to kill the buck in daylight. Stay the heck away from that area, just try to confirm he is still alive if possible, and kill him next year at that spot in early November. My two cents!
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:29 am

Buckfever wrote:That's what I was asking where was he on 12/2 and what direction of travel?Do you have him at any other locations other than scrape and where you caught him on 12/2?

He was just over the ridge that runs N-S to the east. A hair south of due east of the red star. He came down off that N-S ridge and was headed south in the picture I posted. He did show up after dark on a camera 1/2 mile NE of this location as well.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:07 am

The buck is(was) moving in daylight, so what's the hold up? I (and others) tend to over-analyze trail camera pictures; they are merely a small snapshot in time; where was he bedding this morning, what time was the picture taken, where was he eating, what direction was he coming from, etc., etc? Take trail cam photos for what they are, a picture of a deer for one second out of a 24 hr day. Sometimes they tell a larger story and prove invaluable, sometimes they are misleading. Don't get paralysis by analysis. Get up, grab your bow and try it based on the info you have. If I had that many pictures of a deer in daylight in the same general area, you couldnt keep me out of the woods. It may be too late, but it may not.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”