Clockwork Buck: Where does he bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
SamPotter
500 Club

Clockwork Buck: Where does he bed?

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:07 am

Look at the time stamp at the bottoms of the photos and you'll see why I refer to him as a "clockwork buck". These are photos off my friend's trail camera. He actually had more pictures leading up to these showing essentially the same pattern. However, the buck stopped this routine after the final photo in this series which is when the rut really got going on this property. The buck was still alive as of 12/2. I included the wind direction with each photo.

The reason for my post is to get some input on where he is bedding. In Hill Country Bucks the general theory is that bucks like to bed on points with the wind blowing over their backs while they watch for danger below. However, the direction this buck is coming from doesn't offer that opportunity, and you'd think he should be bedding up over the ridge to the east. He also bedded in the same area with wind from the West one day and East on another. The low wind speed makes me wonder if the buck is relying more on thermals than the prevailing wind? This is in the hills of Southern Ohio which are really steep. Once you get below the ridgeline on the leeward side of the hills and ridges the air movement is all thermals unless it is really windy. Then there is some ridiculous swirling and eddying.

In the attached map the red star is the camera location and it is pointed east. Directly behind the camera is a deep, steep hollow, deeper and steeper than the topo lines show. The blue arrow is the buck's direction of travel in the photos. The black star is a spot where there are a pair of big beds side by side, but the buck wasn't coming from that area in the trail cam photos. The whole area was clear cut over 30 years ago and has nice 10-15" trees.

And yes, I know this buck should have been dead already. My friend didn't clue into the buck's pattern at all. He has a stand directly above the camera and the only time he hunted it during that particular week was a couple of mornings... :doh: By the time I arrived to hunt (a week later) the opportunity was over.

WNW wind, 6mph

ENE wind, 6mph

W wind 6mph

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: Clockwork Buck: Where does he bed?

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:24 am

In my opinion with these pics being the second week of Nov it's just cruising movement, not bed to desired location movement. If these were from October then I'd expect a bed close by.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:03 am

purebowhunting wrote:In my opinion with these pics being the second week of Nov it's just cruising movement, not bed to desired location movement. If these were from October then I'd expect a bed close by.

So you think it's just extremely consistent cruising? One other thing I didn't mention was there is a scrape there. The buck is working the branch in the 1st photo.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:18 am

I think during the rut bucks bed in relation to does and not in the typical bedding locations we know. I have a few areas bucks only bed during or around the rut, think this is the case here. He's keeping tabs on a few local doe groups and the scrape keeps him coming through that particular spot.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:45 am

I had a very similar situation this year. I have multiple pics of a 10 point in a 4 day period in early November. There's doe bedding near, but no "typical" buck bedding . He would work a scrape next to a pond between 7 and 930 AM regardless of wind direction. I know where I will be next year for a few days in early November.

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Zona wrote:I had a very similar situation this year. I have multiple pics of a 10 point in a 4 day period in early November. There's doe bedding near, but no "typical" buck bedding . He would work a scrape next to a pond between 7 and 930 AM regardless of wind direction. I know where I will be next year for a few days in early November.

I have close to 20 trail cameras out in 3 different states. I have NEVER seen a buck do the same thing day after day like this one did. I usually think I'm starting to see a pattern if a buck does the same thing every 7-10 days.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Next year I'd reopen that scrape if it's not open, if he's still alive you'll probably see the same pattern in early November and can kill him.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Where was he on 12/2?
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Buckfever wrote:Where was he on 12/2?

Just south of due east of the red star, just over the N/S ridge at the head of the hollow. 9am.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:15 am

Was he heading north?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:46 am

I've had bucks do this during the rut. They'll come through pretty close to the same time but not everyday. Every 2 or 3 days. Scent checking doe bedding. Thought I had a couple of them figured out but never worked out.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:12 am

SamPotter wrote:
Zona wrote:I had a very similar situation this year. I have multiple pics of a 10 point in a 4 day period in early November. There's doe bedding near, but no "typical" buck bedding . He would work a scrape next to a pond between 7 and 930 AM regardless of wind direction. I know where I will be next year for a few days in early November.

I have close to 20 trail cameras out in 3 different states. I have NEVER seen a buck do the same thing day after day like this one did. I usually think I'm starting to see a pattern if a buck does the same thing every 7-10 days.

This is my experience also. While they might hit a crop field every evening, they usually enter it differently even on same wind.... I know several people set cameras up on beds and leave them year long, anyone ever get pics of same buck in same bed for several days in a row?

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:22 am

Buckfever wrote:Was he heading north?

South, the blue arrow is his direction of travel.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:24 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
SamPotter wrote:

This is my experience also. While they might hit a crop field every evening, they usually enter it differently even on same wind.... I know several people set cameras up on beds and leave them year long, anyone ever get pics of same buck in same bed for several days in a row?

I haven't set any cameras on beds...yet. I might just do that though. There are some really good beds on this property, but it's hard to tell who is using them.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:41 pm

SamPotter wrote:
Buckfever wrote:Was he heading north?

South, the blue arrow is his direction of travel.

On 12/2 he was head south back to bed in the morning but before, those sightings were in the evening heading south? Seems consistent with excursions. They were probably cycling back in and he was making another round of scent checking. That's a nice rut funnel.

You have to find him somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”