My new Covert Blackhawk cellular

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: My new Covert Blackhawk cellular

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:03 am

I have 2 with ATT service. They worked well this year. I few hiccups here and there, but were fun to have. They didnt help me kill either of my bucks, but maybe in a way they did since I didnt see the need to go in there checking cams, and ruining the spots.

I think they are fun and can be useful. I think the farther from home or the harder to access spots are where these will be most useful.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:48 am

So I've been getting pictures pretty regular, about 3 or 4 a day. I'm not real happy about the picture quality, alot of fuzzy pics. There is 4 settings for picture quality, 3mp, 5mp, 8mp and 12 mp. I have it set at 5mp, but I think I'm going to the woods this coming Saturday, and switch it to 8mp.. They say your sd card will fill up faster at higher mp, but even if it fills up, it will just start to rewrite over the old pics.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:06 am

dreaming bucks wrote:So I've been getting pictures pretty regular, about 3 or 4 a day. I'm not real happy about the picture quality, alot of fuzzy pics. There is 4 settings for picture quality, 3mp, 5mp, 8mp and 12 mp. I have it set at 5mp, but I think I'm going to the woods this coming Saturday, and switch it to 8mp.. They say your sd card will fill up faster at higher mp, but even if it fills up, it will just start to rewrite over the old pics.

SD Cards can hold a lot more these days. You could probably get one that is 1 TB nowadays and would probably have more storage than the cam would use, depending on how often you check it.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:11 am

It says you can put any card in it, up to 32 GB. I think I only have a 8GB in it.

Last edited by dreaming bucks on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:17 am

Here is a chart on how many pics you can get on a card with different mp's and different size cards... I just ordered a 32gb.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:26 pm

I think your blurry pics are due to a slow shutter speed. Kind of strange that would be the case with a decent quality camera like Covert though.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:19 am

So, I changed my camera setting last weekend, from 5mp to 8mp.. But near as I can tell, it doesn't help the quality of picture sent to my phone. I think that setting only helps the quality of picture stored on the SD card.

I was happy though with how many pics were sent to me, vs how many pics were on the SD card. I had 50 pics sent to my phone, and the card had 156 pics stored on it. I had the camera set on 3 shot, so it looks like it only missed a couple pics to be sent to my phone.

I checked to see how many bars of service I had again, and I had 3 to 4. The camera is on a ridge though, and I would expect good coverage there.

Battery life is still great, but it has only sent about 75 pics to my phone, and 225 on the card.

Here is another recent pic. If you blow pic up, it gets pretty fuzzy. My regular trail cams don't do that to that extent.

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:46 am

dreaming bucks wrote:So, I changed my camera setting last weekend, from 5mp to 8mp.. But near as I can tell, it doesn't help the quality of picture sent to my phone. I think that setting only helps the quality of picture stored on the SD card.

I was happy though with how many pics were sent to me, vs how many pics were on the SD card. I had 50 pics sent to my phone, and the card had 156 pics stored on it. I had the camera set on 3 shot, so it looks like it only missed a couple pics to be sent to my phone.

I checked to see how many bars of service I had again, and I had 3 to 4. The camera is on a ridge though, and I would expect good coverage there.

Battery life is still great, but it has only sent about 75 pics to my phone, and 225 on the card.

Here is another recent pic. If you blow pic up, it gets pretty fuzzy. My regular trail cams don't do that to that extent.

Are these pictures from the card or ones sent to your phone? The ones that are sent are automatically reduced in quality so they can be sent, so they should look a little fuzzy. It seems like all of the deer in the photos are in motion, which of course will produce some blur as well. I have 4 of the 3G Coverts and like them when AT&T isn't screwing around with the plans. I don't care so much about the picture quality so long as I can clearly see what the subject is in the photo. I mainly got them to either put them in touchy spots that I don't want to go into unless I'm hunting and/or far away locations that I just can't get to on a regular basis but want to know what is going on.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:52 am

These are all pics sent to my phone.

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:53 am

Thanks for posting this info.

I have been spying these cameras for a while.

I believe most of them will not send the full mega pixel version of the image to your phone.

They send a 640 X 480 or 800 X 600 resolution pick versus the full 5 mega pixel version.

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:55 am

dreaming bucks wrote:These are all pics sent to my phone.

You'll find that the pictures on the card are indeed of a higher quality then. Covert's pictures are generally pretty good.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:58 am

SamPotter wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:These are all pics sent to my phone.

You'll find that the pictures on the card are indeed of a higher quality then. Covert's pictures are generally pretty good.

Ya, that's what I was thinking after seeing the pics are no different now than before. Thanks for your input on that guys, you confirmed what I was thinking.

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:31 am

I too was also glad to see them come out with a Verizon cam. Havent pulled the trigger on one yet though. Will keep checking back for updates here. Thanks for the info.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:08 am

I saddens me to see a rate of 75 out of 225 and that the cam does miss pics that are being sent to the phone. With this type of camera and how I would use it missing a few daylight photos of a target animal would defeat the purpose of why I would use one. Timing is critical and the price you pay for these over a regular cam and also for the network charge each month, I couldn't justify pulling the trigger on one knowing pics aren't going to be sent to my phone or email every time. I do have a question though did you say three shot burst? Like maybe one of three gets sent? 75•3=225? If that's the case then it's doing its job

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:44 am

Looked it up, 350 papers for that one. :shock:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”