Still hunting binocs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mauser06
500 Club

Still hunting binocs

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:14 pm

With gun and flintlock seasons fast approaching and knowing more and more I find myself alone and still hunting/tracking I need to start prepping for it in the advent I have my buck tag yet...

Every year I say I wanna get a decent set of binocs...of course season comes and goes and by the time its back I've long forgotten about it..

Any serious still hunters on here have suggestions? Was looking at Nikon prostaff 7s 10x42s.

I know many like the 8x. I have a 8x scope on my rifle..I had to pass a legal buck still hunting a couple seasons back on the last day..just couldn't verify he was legal till he trotted off..I think the 10x would help..

Maybe I'm wrong...?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Huntoholic
Facebook: Garrickpfromthe603@yahoo.com

Re: Still hunting binocs

Unread postby Huntoholic » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:45 pm

I've been thinking of getting a pair too and was wondering the same. I was looking at the Vortex Viper HD, lots of good reviews. Does anyone run those?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
clint6760

Unread postby clint6760 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:04 pm

I owned a set of vortex vultures back in the day that were pretty good I'm a big fan of vortex rifle scopes. The warranty is great. But for binos, I think Zen Ray has them beat. And about anything else in their price range. I have the ED2's and they are awesome. They came out with Ed3's but I have never looked through them. I have compared them to nikons and Leupolds also. You would have to spend a lot more to beat them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 pm

I've got the vortex viper HD 8x42, I researched and tried a ton before buying. Love them and will never leave them behind. Two things I recommend with them is their chest harness and sweet spot keeper, both are essential

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:38 pm

I love vortex, and personally have 10x.

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:50 am

wiscbowhntr wrote:I love vortex, and personally have 10x.

X2

Debo03

Unread postby Debo03 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:23 am

I'll throw in another vote for Vortex. I went the cheaper route and found some Used Vortex diamondbacks 10x42s for $100 off archerytalk. They were in good shape but didn't come with the lens covers. I emailed their customer service explaining to them that I had just purchased a used pair of binos and wanted to buy the matching lens covers from them. They asked for my address and send me a free pair also reminded me that the binos come with a fully transferable warranty so to let them know if I ever had any issues with them to let them know.

American made and TOP NOTCH CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Vortex for the win!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:25 am

Years ago I came across a smoking deal on a pair of Swarovski EL 10x42, they're UNREAL. I also have a pair of 8x42 Nikons and for the price they're hard to beat.

that being said Vortex makes a good binocular and when my dad died I got his vortex 10x42s and my complaint is that they're the heaviest set I've ever used. Several of my buddies have gotten rid of their vortex binos and switched to ZenRay,which makes a FANTASTIC product. They're economical and the glass quality surpasses Vortex. Been called the "poor man's Swarovski" and I believe their warranties are transferable and also have fantastic customer service

Good luck.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:50 am

mauser06 wrote: Was looking at Nikon prostaff 7s 10x42s.

Picked up those last year and they are very nice. Optical quality is not a concern now. They are pretty good size so keep that in mind. The protective caps are cheap and come off easy but that and size is my only complaint. If i had a pair half that size with optics that good i would carry them more, but i'm cheap and don't want to spend what that would cost.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:48 am

Cbay, that's my issue..to get a high end pair is just silly expensive...

Even 350-500$ ones are tough to swallow...

I don't know....for whatever reason its hard to swallow binocs..range finder...rifle scopes..not an issue...binocs are a hurdle for me lol...

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:02 am

mauser06 wrote:Cbay, that's my issue..to get a high end pair is just silly expensive...

Even 350-500$ ones are tough to swallow...

I don't know....for whatever reason its hard to swallow binocs..range finder...rifle scopes..not an issue...binocs are a hurdle for me lol...

I had the exact same problem and last winter Dick's had a sale on them and knew this would probably be the only time to get a decent pair for the price i was willing to pay. I'm glad we got them. Good glass. No regrets.
I bet you can catch them on sale later this year for 99 like we did, but they are now 150 rather than 199 like last year reg. price, and that's not bad at all.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:03 am

If you're going to be spending a ton of time glassing while you still hunt (I certainly think you will) a good set of binoculars gets you less eye strain (still hunting requires a lot of glassing ahead, strains the eyes with so much time looking), better anti fogging glass (water proof), clearer images, better definition (picking bedded deer or of thick cover at distance), less of a "halo effect" , better construction (built to last), low light light gathering ability, etc...

I went thru a lot of cheap $25-$100 binos before I bought a pair of Nikons. .. the light gathering ability alone was worth the investment.

Maybe I'm biased, but I spend an incredible amount of time glassing while I'm hunting and I'm convinced that Quality glass is worth the investment.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”