Please review first Beast/GL hunt plan (topo/aerial incl.)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
WSalzNC

Please review first Beast/GL hunt plan (topo/aerial incl.)

Unread postby WSalzNC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:45 am

I will shotgun-hunt a large public GL this Saturday morning and maybe hunt all day, first day of gun season here. This is my first GL trip, and first trip ever using Beast tactics, so I'm prepared for it to be as much about learning and scouting as seeing/killing deer. I'm expecting significant pressure, so I've pinpointed a spot I can access fairly easily, but away from the public parking areas. The area is a "CURE" area where they're promoting early successional habitat to grow quail and small game, and I've heard many other hunters on local forums complaining about being "bad" for deer hunting (I believe the opposite) so hopefully I'll run into fewer folks here. I'll be totally mobile, and looking for a good vantage point where I can shoot up to 100 yards from a brushed-in ground blind.

Map:
--The red line is the boundary, and I'm targeting the lower right corner. Everything to the right of the red boundary is "Restricted" zone-- part of the GL but no hunting allowed.
--I will be starting at first light at the green dot marker "Start" and working my way from there to #1, 2, 3 and so on, and maybe end up at #5
--Wind will be from WNW, so I'm starting out well east of where I want to end up, with a plan to work my way up creek beds and eventually swing around to the West towards final spot
--Blue lines are foot trails
--Area of this SE corner is approx. 250 acres

Would love any feedback from guys more experienced than me on this stuff. Thanks!

Wes

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Please review first Beast/GL hunt plan (topo/aerial incl

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:07 am

Are you still hunting? Or sitting each spot for a small amount of time?
WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:24 am

dan wrote:Are you still hunting? Or sitting each spot for a small amount of time?

Dan, thanks for responding! I'm not sure what to do exactly. I'm hoping to find some promising sign along the way. if I do see some good sign, then I will sit (the risk being that it is nighttime sign, though). If not, then I'll probably turn West and still hunt upwind to that last spot (#5). I like that area because of that line of change between different types of trees, and some downwind elevation change, and what looks like a decent bench. However, I'm not sure the best way to set up on that spot given the wind. I thought about trying to setup across the creek but I can't guarantee a shot in range.

What would you suggest?
WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Also, are the elevation changes here substantial enough (50-100 feet of change) to expect leeward bedding and cruising? How much elevation change is necessary for a wind thermal tunnel to develop?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”