Game plan after rifle opener

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dingus

Game plan after rifle opener

Unread postby Dingus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:57 am

In central MN and after rifle opened here this past wkend, i still haven't filled my deer tags. What should be my game plan moving forward? Mostly been hunting marshes not much for hill country around me, but I'm getting a bit frustrated. Try hunting funnels or maybe marsh and timber transitions? I would love to hear people's thoughts/advice. Thank you in advance.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Justin85

Re: Game plan after rifle opener

Unread postby Justin85 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:39 am

Dingus wrote:In central MN and after rifle opened here this past wkend, i still haven't filled my deer tags. What should be my game plan moving forward? Mostly been hunting marshes not much for hill country around me, but I'm getting a bit frustrated. Try hunting funnels or maybe marsh and timber transitions? I would love to hear people's thoughts/advice. Thank you in advance.

Watching this one....hunting east central MN. I know where a couple beds are that hold them late season, but no way to get to them without being noticed. One they have site to their advantage and the other is in such a thick island just off a point that there's no way possible to get set up on him. I'm certain he comes off the back side and stays in the marsh in stuff you can't penetrate without being heard from 2 miles away. I've got an idea, but it's going to have to get much colder and freeze the marsh. For both actually.

I feel like I'm spinning wheels at this point. Good luck. I'm interested in hearing other replies. I feel like there's a lot of cover deep in the marsh, and they just aren't getting to high ground before dark. Been thinking ground assault in the thick stuff way out there, but not sure how to do it stealthily, or where there's even a shot possibility.

Dingus

Unread postby Dingus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:55 am

Justin85 wrote:
Dingus wrote:In central MN and after rifle opened here this past wkend, i still haven't filled my deer tags. What should be my game plan moving forward? Mostly been hunting marshes not much for hill country around me, but I'm getting a bit frustrated. Try hunting funnels or maybe marsh and timber transitions? I would love to hear people's thoughts/advice. Thank you in advance.

Watching this one....hunting east central MN. I know where a couple beds are that hold them late season, but no way to get to them without being noticed. One they have site to their advantage and the other is in such a thick island just off a point that there's no way possible to get set up on him. I'm certain he comes off the back side and stays in the marsh in stuff you can't penetrate without being heard from 2 miles away. I've got an idea, but it's going to have to get much colder and freeze the marsh. For both actually.

I feel like I'm spinning wheels at this point. Good luck. I'm interested in hearing other replies. I feel like there's a lot of cover deep in the marsh, and they just aren't getting to high ground before dark. Been thinking ground assault in the thick stuff way out there, but not sure how to do it stealthily, or where there's even a shot possibility.

Technically I am east central MN too.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:01 am

I'd consider myself north central mn but also hunt far northern mn, just posted on something similar with the early rifle pressure. Scouting has found me what I would consider some killer remote hunting locations, however when I hunt these prime time bow season I don't find the sign that I do while spring scouting. I am pretty much thinking that this is where the deer get pushed too after rifle season opens and I am hunting them a little too early. My advice is find where no one else is going to dare walk and push in there and see what you can find, like anything you need to be on the pockets of low to no pressure to find some deer. It could also just be lower deer numbers making things harder, pretty low harvest last couple of years so when numbers are down that can make life all that more difficult.
Dingus

Unread postby Dingus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:16 am

headgear wrote:I'd consider myself north central mn but also hunt far northern mn, just posted on something similar with the early rifle pressure. Scouting has found me what I would consider some killer remote hunting locations, however when I hunt these prime time bow season I don't find the sign that I do while spring scouting. I am pretty much thinking that this is where the deer get pushed too after rifle season opens and I am hunting them a little too early. My advice is find where no one else is going to dare walk and push in there and see what you can find, like anything you need to be on the pockets of low to no pressure to find some deer. It could also just be lower deer numbers making things harder, pretty low harvest last couple of years so when numbers are down that can make life all that more difficult.

U make a good point. Saturday morning I biked in 1.5 miles, then I walked another .65 miles. I had no other hunters nearby but I also didn't see a lot of deer sign. I can't help but wonder if I went TOO far back (if it's even possible) too early. Maybe I should have saved that spot for after opening rifle wkend. It was transition of huge marsh I know deer bed in and timber. Not sure wat to think half the time.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:35 am

Yep it might take a couple of days of rifle pressure to fill that area up. I remember one of SingingBridge posts about how his dad always shot a buck on the 2nd day of rifle season in the swamp, this would be something similar. I know of an island that gets just torn up year after year but whenever I hunt it bow season there isn't much sign there. Has to be the rifle season pressuring the surrounding areas and pushing the deer out where no one else will hunt. November is a pretty long months as well so if you have to hit the timing right after the pressure hits, it might be a day or a week, you just never know.
Dingus

Unread postby Dingus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:13 am

headgear wrote:Yep it might take a couple of days of rifle pressure to fill that area up. I remember one of SingingBridge posts about how his dad always shot a buck on the 2nd day of rifle season in the swamp, this would be something similar. I know of an island that gets just torn up year after year but whenever I hunt it bow season there isn't much sign there. Has to be the rifle season pressuring the surrounding areas and pushing the deer out where no one else will hunt. November is a pretty long months as well so if you have to hit the timing right after the pressure hits, it might be a day or a week, you just never know.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts headgear!

Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 pm

You know, I didn't see much sign up front in one of the places that had it last year.

I want to switch off, and try new ground, but I keep telling myself if I can cut my "public land hunting" teeth on the WMA I'm on, then I can go anywhere and do it.

I know last year I walked almost 2 miles before ever cutting a track in fresh snow after ML in MN.

We can get together sometime and death march with our heads hung down together sometime lol.

I think I was close to the "pin" Sunday AM. I know how to get in and out of there more quietly now. I've always wanted to set up with someone on some of these places, even if it means I "lose" a potential honey hole by showing someone else what I think may happen, just to have a couple potential areas nailed down when they could go another way and you'd never know.

I know a few areas that I "think" may hold deer once the guns blaze, but I honesty have no idea how to access them without running them out of the country, or even getting a shot. I'd likely be better off with a spear in some of these places lol

Dingus

Unread postby Dingus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:20 pm

I get wat yer sayin. At the same I find it an added challenge to cyber scout then go in blind to an area I've never been. It is enjoyable bcuz there is such a great unknown plus a person is seein completely new terrain.
The benefit of hunting the same area is a person can really get to know how deer use that terrain at different times of the year. Let me know if yer ever in my area Justin.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”