Would bucks frequent this type area? (Topo pic)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bionic

Would bucks frequent this type area? (Topo pic)

Unread postby Bionic » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:19 am

I was wondering if an area such as pictured would be worthwhile for me to hunt in hopes for a pre rut buck. This is state public land, and about 5 miles from home where I typically hunt. I'm looking to use this state land, to let my private land cool off here, and there from hunting it myself. I am specifically talking about the two ditch-like revines on both sides of the "900". I am thinking it would funnel deer, but then I ask myself which side would be more active, the ditch with the stream, or not. There are two big reservoirs to the right when viewing the topo so thats why i'm not so sure if one ditch would be better versus the other....

Any input? I'd appreciate it very much.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: Would bucks frequent this type area? (Topo pic)

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:35 am

Hunt whichever ravine is easier to access on western or southerly wind. 1100 elevation. From only being able to see that small piece of the map I would lean towards the smaller ravine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:48 am

FWIW, i have a spot very similar to that point nw of "900" that juts out to the end of the cove. The one here looks similar as it is like a large subtle hump that is somewhat isolated and very hard to approach. Found very large beds in there and know it is active, but have yet to find a way to approach without getting busted. Might be worth a check or set up on the ravine close and/or post scout the area. Good luck.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:56 am

If its cruising stage, I would hunt in between them on a South, S.W, or West wind at the thermal tunnel elevation.
Bionic

Unread postby Bionic » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:09 am

Great tips, thank you!

I feel like this section we are discussing is somewhat left alone from hunters, etc, who knows though. I do know thats a long walk back there, and I am in a locally lazy society here, so i think this is worth a hunt.

I never would have thought to sit inbetween the ravines, or near that "cove" above the "900". Before starting this thread, I was under the impression that I would want to sit IN one of the ravines in hopes to get deer walking in the bottoms, and being lazy walking the flat ground, in either direction of the way the ravines point.

This section pictured is the most rugged of areas, and just so happens to be about the furthest from the main road. The majority of vehicles I see here tend to park up the road about a half mile, and on the opposite side of road, seems as if they all go across the road.

Thermal tunnel elevation would be roughly a third down from the top?
Also, third from top...that map is in 20' increments. So would I have a thermal tunnel from ravine to ravine? And/or a tunnel along the direction each ravine points?

Thank you.

Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:46 am

The thermal tunnel on a SW wind would probably be somewhere between the 1100 and 1200' contours. That 1100' contour right at the edge of the steep on the smaller gully looks like a real enticing spot to find some bucks cruising on the bench just above that elevation.

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
Bionic

Unread postby Bionic » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:19 am

I think I know where you are referring to, I am going to fireup my laptop in a bit, and put a dot on where I believe you are referring to. I would be setting up on the high side of elevation if the wind is headed SW?

Thanks again, I appreciate the time you're taking to help me.

Bionic

Unread postby Bionic » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:37 am

Hopefully this doesn't throw all this out of whack, but here is a better view zoomed out a bit. I can hunt both sides of the water, and down the topo to the dotted perforated line.

Bionic

Unread postby Bionic » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:08 pm

So I put a few marks on my map.

The mark on the far left is the parking area....

Razorhead, is the upper middle mark the area you are referring to?

Dan, is the lower middle mark the area you're referring to?

cbay, is the upper right mark the area you were referring to?

Thanks a lot you guys, I appreciate it very much.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”