Access

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigRed

Access

Unread postby BigRed » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Ive got a question about accessing a rut spot i found last weekend. This is public hill country in SE MN. So there is a large draw that cuts up the hillside, just below the head of it there is a very steep smaller cut that runs perpendicular with the main draw straight up the hillside. It is just off a high crows foot where i suspect either buck or doe bedding is likely. There is a tree right on the edge of the main draw where it drops off steep just below the 1/3 elevation. So my scent will blow down the draw away from the deer. There are 2 great trails that cross the smaller cut i can cover from the tree that I suspect cruising bucks would use more than other trails further up the hill. Up at the top is a small corn field on ridge that runs north/south w a bedding point just north of the corn field. approx 1 mile away from the parking lot. I would post a map, but the small cut doesn't even show up on the topo and its in Whitewater WMA. I hope i made a good enough visual. So my question is do i try to access up the draw, and risk being seen coming from the bottom? Or do i access from the top and do my best to avoid and step over the deer trails paralleling the ridge, although i will have to cross the two i will be hunting? What would be the lesser of two evils? I am extremely excited about this spot, its a great funnel, just don't wanna screw it up.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Access

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:22 pm

I would enter from below, straight up the main draw, well before light...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”