Warm weekend

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Warm weekend

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:45 pm

Dewey wrote:Beautiful weekend for musky fishing. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

DEWEY... you're killing me man! :D Fall fishing can be spectacular (anyone who knows a hard core walleye fisherman knows they live for late fall) but the bummer is I never get to go! Maybe some day I'll tag out in September and get to hammer some late season eyes...

JoeRE wrote:We had beautiful cold weather last night and this morning, great hunting weather. Now it's supposed to warm up. Hunt your best spots at the best times you have available that you think are good for those spots.....if you are going to have time to hunt thru the rest of October patience will reward you. Unless you have a spot that is an awesome hot weather spot, cool bedding by water or something like that, you probably are not going to have high odds.

Its only October 10th. If I were you I would try to horse trade with your wife some extra hunting time later in the month :D

I hear ya Joe... I horse traded my Sunday night hunt for a Monday night hunt which is suppose to be around 25 degrees cooler. (that's a no brainer)

My two best bedding areas are both untouched as of yet. Pheasant season opened today which will help, and corn harvest is about half done, which is ahead of schedule. I'm thinking my best spots will be primed and ready to go for late October. :mrgreen:

loneranger

Unread postby loneranger » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:34 pm

With the weather pattern we have been in ,I would not be surprised to see a warm November. Some are saying, "Elnino",,the very warm Pacific Waters. The West is still warm and in fire danger. No sign of cold or snow. My land in Iowa is now burned up,,after 30 days with little rain.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:50 pm

loneranger wrote:With the weather pattern we have been in ,I would not be surprised to see a warm November. Some are saying, "Elnino",,the very warm Pacific Waters. The West is still warm and in fire danger. No sign of cold or snow. My land in Iowa is now burned up,,after 30 days with little rain.

Sorry to hear that... It's very dry around here too. I hope it's not a crazy warm November... I'm counting on some decent conditions.
I've got enough factors to overcome... Don't need bad weather too.

loneranger

Unread postby loneranger » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:23 pm

My experience for the majority of the past ten yrs has been warm,warm,warm,is it ever gonna cool down,,hunting. Last year we got that sudden,,unexpected,,cold blast second week of Nov. that was one exception. But the pattern of warm and dry seems locked in now. I hope I am wrong also. Up side though is I wont have to worry about heavy hunt clothes! Nights seem to cool down and Mornings will probably be best hunting. They usually are anyway in my neck.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 pm

Its been slightly warmer than average but overall its been really good. We have had Octobers with stagnant, unchanging, weather all the way through which is the worst even if the temps are average. So far we have had two cold fronts end of Sept, and the second one of October is coming through right now. There can be some hot days here and there as long as they get broken up by some good cold fronts with 20 degree temperature swings. If this keeps up it will go down as a pretty darn good hunting fall in the upper midwest.

Not sure where all the comments about it being a crappy fall are coming from? Maybe other parts of the country are having a rougher time of it.
jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

Unread postby jboswell » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:52 am

JoeRE wrote:Its been slightly warmer than average but overall its been really good. We have had Octobers with stagnant, unchanging, weather all the way through which is the worst even if the temps are average. So far we have had two cold fronts end of Sept, and the second one of October is coming through right now. There can be some hot days here and there as long as they get broken up by some good cold fronts with 20 degree temperature swings. If this keeps up it will go down as a pretty darn good hunting fall in the upper midwest.

Not sure where all the comments about it being a crappy fall are coming from? Maybe other parts of the country are having a rougher time of it.

I would agree, we are having some nice swings in Iowa this fall... looks like the next one is lining up well for next weekend :)
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:10 am

jboswell wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Its been slightly warmer than average but overall its been really good. We have had Octobers with stagnant, unchanging, weather all the way through which is the worst even if the temps are average. So far we have had two cold fronts end of Sept, and the second one of October is coming through right now. There can be some hot days here and there as long as they get broken up by some good cold fronts with 20 degree temperature swings. If this keeps up it will go down as a pretty darn good hunting fall in the upper midwest.

I would agree, we are having some nice swings in Iowa this fall... looks like the next one is lining up well for next weekend :)

I'm not complaining about the 1st part of the year. All I was getting at was this weekend got a little crazy. That and I hope it's not el-niño like later this year. My local forecast shows a dip in temps Friday, then mid to lower 60s most days. Definitely warmer than normal but do-able.

loneranger

Unread postby loneranger » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:50 am

Well I am in S-Iowa,,More warm than cool down here. Worst part is the drought. Thirty days with only sprinkles. My once great food plots are now fried. Tough Clover plots have held up,,but fading fast. Oh,,I know,,most probably on here don't care for food plots,,,hunt Buck Beds. My food plots meant much to me though...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”