Do you lower your standards? gun/bow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Do you lower your standards? gun/bow

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:00 am

Just wondering if anyone lowers their standards as the season progresses?

Or do you have different standards with bow than you do gun?

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Do you lower your standards? gun/bow

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:35 am

No, but I've considered it while tracking. Sometimes if I have a bunch of hours and several miles into a buck that after a while I am less concerned with the size of the rack because the hunt has far outgrown the antlers.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:32 pm

I hold out for a 3.5+ prior to gun season. Afterwards a respectable 110ish 2.5 will get the ax now that I have a kid. Late December any 2.5 will do for my one and only tag.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Standards?

:?

:think:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Nope but my standards aren't super high to begin with. :lol: I will lower my standards if I have the kids hunting with me, any legal animal is fair game.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:26 pm

I dont like to set standards, Ov found it can take some of the joy put of it, especially if the standards arent exactly realistic. Now I just enjoy each hunt n decide when I see the animal. Some days the blood gets pumpin n I gotta shoot, some days Id just soon let em grow.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:30 pm

I have sliding standards based on my own delusions.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:34 pm

To some degree yes. My standards change due to time and location. I can hunt 150"+ bucks farther from home or hunt 130"+ bucks closer to home. As the season progresses, I generally only have time to hunt closer to home during the week so standards need to drop to local expectations. I'd rather eat a tag or shoot a doe than shoot a buck under 3 years old, commonly under 4 years old. I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot by shooting the younger bucks.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I have sliding standards based on my own delusions.

:think:
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:36 pm

We have nice bucks but nothing huge. Will get a 150 every now and then but to kill a p&y around here is a pretty big deal. I normally go for around 100 or 3.5 years old but it will also depend on how the hunt goes. If its a awesome hunt and a decent buck comes in i will shoot it. I killed a buck a few years ago that i would have never shot if i was on stand but he was with a bedded with a doe and i belly crawled to within 30 yds it was a awesome hunt and still a decent buck.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:48 pm

I try to keep my standards realistic. I killed a few nice bucks in 2008 and 2009 and then decided I was going to hold out for a 150" or better. Well 5 years later I was still eating tag soup and honestly it was starting to get old. The last two years I killed average bucks and I'm totally fine with that. The big bucks will come again I'm sure but I will not define my season by that anymore. If it's a memorable hunt and I like the buck it's going down. Life is too short to get hung up on scores anymore. If I kill a big one great but it won't be the end of the world if I kill a 120" instead.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Dewey wrote:I try to keep my standards realistic. I killed a few nice bucks in 2008 and 2009 and then decided I was going to hold out for a 150" or better. Well 5 years later I was still eating tag soup and honestly it was starting to get old. The last two years I killed average bucks and I'm totally fine with that. The big bucks will come again I'm sure but I will not define my season by that anymore. If it's a memorable hunt and I like the buck it's going down. Life is too short to get hung up on scores anymore. If I kill a big one great but it won't be the end of the world if I kill a 120" instead.

:handgestures-thumbup:
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Completely depends on where I am hunting. If I am hunting public land in FL any legal buck gets the Arrow or bullet. If I am hunting in KY on my cousins farm we want to shoot 3.5+ buck. Last day of the hunt there I will take a cull buck if the opportunity presents itself. If I am hunting on Public land in KY, I will shoot anything that gets my blood pumping.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:30 am

I haven't punched a muzzleloader tag in 2 years because I haven't seen one I've wanted to end my season on.. Something about climbing a tree with bow in hand when snow is on the ground seems to keep me from pulling the gun trigger

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:58 am

No I don't. My standards are simply mine...won't shoot a buck I wouldn't mount to preserve the memory of the hunt and won't shoot a doe that obviously has babies/kids with her and won't shoot a yearling. That's just me. Doesn't bother me to not kill a buck.
What does bother me is when I've hunted good and hard and didn't get an opportunity...don't mind passing on deer just hate not having the opportunity to do so however that often goes hand in hand with hunting a mature buck.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”