Common Thread of Consistent Big Buck Killers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Common Thread of Consistent Big Buck Killers

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:55 am

Mauser that is a VERY good point.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:04 am

DaveT1963 wrote:The best hunters I know of, and having had a taxidermy business I've known a few, I would say to a T everyone of them would say their #1 thing that separates them is..........

1) attitude/passion - they keep a positive attitude, they believe it is going to happen each time they go out, no matter what happens and then #2
2) Persistence - they don't quit. I cannot tell you how many of them took some of their best animals on the last day, at the last hour......

3) Understanding animals, patterns, scouting, studying maps, finding food sources, bedding areas, glassing, etc.... that goes without saying for them

if it was "easy" everyone would be doing it and being successful at it. While it isn't necessarily hard (by that I mean finding a mature animal, climbing a tree, drawing a bow, and hitting them with an arrow), killing a mature buck anywhere is never easy and you better be able to adapt as things change. My guess is that even someone like Dan, spends many, many hours at many set ups for each buck he kills. When I listen to Andrea's video clips - I would say the thing that grabs me about him is sheer determination and persistence - he keeps at it and does what it takes. I mean, who would ever think to purposely bump a mature whitetail and then set up right then and there. Find whatever quality that is, bottle it and you'll be rich (and successful) quick.

Bingo. I agree 100%

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:19 am

burkhart wrote:bucky hit my point, the amount of time and effort you guys put in is staggering... its a full time job when your not at work. This will always be my hurdle I don't have the time to devote to it.

And I would certainly not put any pressure on myself to do so. One thing I did when I was young was put so much pressure on achieving better results each year, that the magic and fun of the hunt was soon lost. Man, in today's world I would say any deer taken with a bow on public land is a trophy.... in some public land spots a doe is a supreme trophy. So have fun, set your goals that afford you the challenge you seek but ones that don't frustrate or defeat you in the process. I am semi-retired and all my kids are grown and I live alone........ so it is far easier for me now then it was years ago.

Many people think I shoot trad for added challenge - and I suppose it is a little of that. The truth is, I tried to shoot a compound when I was younger, I got buck fever so dang bad that I always screwed up easy chip shots by not picking a spot, canting my bow, using wrong pin, mis-judging distance - I went back to my longbow because at the moment of truth, when my knees are knocking and I cant swallow the catch in my throat, I just shoot it better because I don't have to do anything but look at what I want to hit----- and crap I screw that up a lot of times. So the challenge in the end is never what it appears - it is always between your own self. Have fun, learn what you can, achieve what is possible and enjoy every minute of it.... and I don't know if you have kids or not but I will say this, I would gladly trade every single buck on my wall for just a few more days with my two little girls when they were younger....... I let so many of those moments slip by pursuing things that just don't matter as much today.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:23 am

burkhart wrote:bucky hit my point, the amount of time and effort you guys put in is staggering... its a full time job when your not at work. This will always be my hurdle I don't have the time to devote to it.

Time is the challenge most of us face, work and families take up a lot, we get what is left over. I have dozens of great beds to hunt and about a 0% chance I get to even half of them during the course of a season. Not much I can do about it, just enjoy the time I get and hope to stick a nice one when I get the opportunity.
g2outdoors

Unread postby g2outdoors » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:25 am

Not everyone is willing to commit the kind of time it takes to put mature deer on the ground year after year. If it were easy, everyone would do it. While I'd love to be able to spend more time in the woods, you get what you get. I try not to stress about it too much and enjoy the time I have.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:01 pm

Yea....time and location. At it's simplest its exactly that. I will say - it needs to be quality time, not just sitting in the woods hoping something walks by.

Notice how there are a lot more big buck killers in Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas than Michigan, Florida, Alabama etc....its not cuz we are better hunters.

Also notice how the most dedicated big buck killers talk little of families and careers....there is a reason for that too. I am guilty of part of that....family comes first but I picked an employer over higher paying more demanding work specifically for the flexibility I get to scout and hunt year round. There may come a time when I call myself a fool for that.

Painted in that light, its less attractive to have a bunch of giant bucks on the wall :?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Time and Location. If you have a lot of time in a good area, you will have more opportunity/success. Even with time, it can difficult to find significant inches of bone in bad areas. If you live in a bad area and want big bone, you have two options:

1.) Move
2.) Spend time with family during bad times and hunt better areas during the best times even if far from home.
loneranger

Unread postby loneranger » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:20 pm

For one thing,,Big Bone,,is not my goal. Taking an animal that has made it thru several seasons, past all my hunting neighbors,,which are MANY,,is a trophy to me. I am one of those that has only a small acreage. I only hunt the rut. Said this before,,I have permanent stands at strategic spots. I keep the does around for the RUT. I only hunt the rut. Does,,plus a lot of time out there usually equals a 3 to 6 yr old buck..I tend to wait for 4 to 5 yr olds. If you have the girls,,the old boys will show,,eventually.!!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:30 pm

I will add this.... Things like this site right here shave years of the learning curve. I pay real attention to the guys here that knock deer down consistently. I'll give one instance... I have a new stand location about 50 yards from a major retailer parking lot inside city limits. Why, I had a hunch based off some things I read here, knocked on one door and did a little scouting.... Big tracks/big rubs ;)

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:16 am

I'm a loser Hunters; so why don't you kill me... Becks words not mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:48 am

I know a big buck killer that doesn't know what's around, does no scouting, and uses no trail cameras. This guy has a very awesome piece of property thats small like 30 acres but in a right location.He just knows when to hunt it. He has a wall that would rival anyone's in Michigan and nobody knows him. He gets a big buck year after year.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:06 am

^ there are a lot of guys that kill many big bucks and just rut hunt. They know where to sit and hunt dawn till dark day after day.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:23 am

Zap wrote:^ there are a lot of guys that kill many big bucks and just rut hunt. They know where to sit and hunt dawn till dark day after day.

I agree 100% One of the guys I hunt with in Ohio annually, is a big buck slayer - every single year. He shows up for one week and gets it done - or could as he has become ridiculously selective last few years. SO how does he do it? He hunts the second or third week of November every year, he hunts the same exact stand EVRY SINGLE DAY, and he hunts from daylight to sundown. I think he is crazy - but here's the facts. He has killed bigger bucks far more consistently then any other hunter in camp. If he doesn't kill one it is because he waits for something bigger. His phone us full of bucks I druel over that he lets walk.

His stand is right next to a bend in rail road track - which has a train come by every morning 30 minutes or so before day light in Nov. He is able to slip in and out without detection by scent or noise. His stand is also in a bowl, about 1/2 down the edge that is closest to the RR track. He is up the tree about 20 foot putting him around 35 foot to bottom of bowl. Where his stand is located, he ALWAYS has the same exact wind patterns - and I don't care which way the wind blows. When you get in his stand and float a pod it always goes right up the bank through a cut out in the bowl. The major deer trail and bedding area is just upwind of him and further down the bowl. I would have never believed it until he showed me it. I asked him how he figured it out and he said he noticed this kind of air movement while elk hunting in the Rockies and fly fishing..... but that is another story.

He only hunts this stand one week a year - and he kills a 150+ buck every single year. Last few years he holds out for bigger deer and lets a lot of 150 inch deer walk right by. Goes against everything you read about overhunting a stand - but for this guy, at this location - he gets it done. Meanwhile, I am jumping from tree to tree, location to location, trying my best to get ahead of the right buck - sometimes I pull it off sometimes I do not.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:25 am

To be a consistent big buck killer...you have to be consistent. In your scouting, set ups, ability to read sign, knowing the timing, and right down to shooting well. The guys that are consistent, do all these things or have at some point. Time on stand and in the woods is huge. Also hunting areas that have big bucks is another essential element. Constantly adapting to food sources, pressure, and the changing of a area(such as how thick, how much water, etc). And I'd like to add, it's hunting not sitting. You need to hunt for a big buck, not so much lay back hoping he finds you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:32 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Zap wrote:^ there are a lot of guys that kill many big bucks and just rut hunt. They know where to sit and hunt dawn till dark day after day.

I agree 100% One of the guys I hunt with in Ohio annually, is a big buck slayer - every single year. He shows up for one week and gets it done - or could as he has become ridiculously selective last few years. SO how does he do it? He hunts the second or third week of November every year, he hunts the same exact stand EVRY SINGLE DAY, and he hunts from daylight to sundown. I think he is crazy - but here's the facts. He has killed bigger bucks far more consistently then any other hunter in camp. If he doesn't kill one it is because he waits for something bigger. His phone us full of bucks I druel over that he lets walk.

His stand is right next to a bend in rail road track - which has a train come by every morning 30 minutes or so before day light in Nov. He is able to slip in and out without detection by scent or noise. His stand is also in a bowl, about 1/2 down the edge that is closest to the RR track. He is up the tree about 20 foot putting him around 35 foot to bottom of bowl. Where his stand is located, he ALWAYS has the same exact wind patterns - and I don't care which way the wind blows. When you get in his stand and float a pod it always goes right up the bank through a cut out in the bowl. The major deer trail and bedding area is just upwind of him and further down the bowl. I would have never believed it until he showed me it. I asked him how he figured it out and he said he noticed this kind of air movement while elk hunting in the Rockies and fly fishing..... but that is another story.

He only hunts this stand one week a year - and he kills a 150+ buck every single year. Last few years he holds out for bigger deer and lets a lot of 150 inch deer walk right by. Goes against everything you read about overhunting a stand - but for this guy, at this location - he gets it done. Meanwhile, I am jumping from tree to tree, location to location, trying my best to get ahead of the right buck - sometimes I pull it off sometimes I do not.

Having one good rut spot is a very good tactic if you don't mind being a waiter.

:think:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”