Hunting Ridges during the evening question.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
ravot22

Hunting Ridges during the evening question.

Unread postby ravot22 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:58 am

What's your best advice for hunting on ridges during evening hunts?

I'm sure you hunt the leeward side, but do you want to be above or below the deer trails because of the evening time thermal?

Bucky

Re: Hunting Ridges during the evening question.

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:04 am

ravot22 wrote:What's your best advice for hunting on ridges during evening hunts?

I'm sure you hunt the leeward side, but do you want to be above or below the deer trails because of the evening time thermal?

Tricky.... not sure there is a perfect answer... it depends :lol:

I missed a GIANT a few weeks back and I was below... I was on leeward side and the prevailing was blowing in my face.... I expected deer to side hill towards me (which he did), then as it got closer to dark my scent began to fall down the steep side hill drop off.

The thing that does help though... is to make sure you get high. Probalby 18-20ft min to platform

Traditionally... hunting ridges is better in the late AMs to early afternoon once the bucks are cruzn... but sometimes this time of year you catch em feeding acorns or using a ridge line to work towards ag fields
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:11 am

Number one question to answer in the early season is "Where is the Food. I have seen bucks drop straight off a ridge, wrap around a point like Bucky stated and travel straight up a point to the top to feed on acorns. I let the sign tell me what route the buck is taking. That is the best advice you will get.
monkatopaints

Unread postby monkatopaints » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:34 pm

Zona wrote:Number one question to answer in the early season is "Where is the Food. I have seen bucks drop straight off a ridge, wrap around a point like Bucky stated and travel straight up a point to the top to feed on acorns. I let the sign tell me what route the buck is taking. That is the best advice you will get.

x2! I like to get up on the ridge early and listen for an hour for falling acorns. If I hear a cluster of oak trees all dropping acorns then I like to start my searching there before deciding where to set up. This worked really well for me on a go-in-blind situation a couple weeks back and I was able to pass on an eight pointer.

Learning to read sign and interpret how the deer utilize the terrain based off that information is definitely the way to go.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:16 pm

I missed (I think) a huge buck on my first trip to hill country last Saturday. Not sure if I was doing it right, but it seemed to work. I set up high about 80 yards from a bedding point so I had shots to the "cruising elevation" trail below me if he took that to acorns and also to a heavily used trail above me that went to a low spot in a cornfield. He took the trail to acorns.

It seems like it'd be preferable to set-up below the trail so the wind and falling thermals are in your favor, but I think you'd really have to have perfect access so you're not seen or heard on your way in. Or setup further away.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:09 pm

It depends on expected movement time, the trees available, and if I can keep from crossing the trail with ground scent... When in doubt I choose to hunt the high side and get my scent high as possible along with getting above the deers vision. I prefer obstacles or drainages that funnel all the leeward trails thru one spot instead of spreading them out on the hill. This makes it easier for me to set up to keep my scent from reaching them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”