DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?? (The bad luck thread)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?? (The bad luck thread)

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:17 am

jarang1128 wrote:So, i was just a few hours ago sitting at my desk, and i thought to myself, wait a second, my bow was not in my backseat this morning. I ran out to my truck, and sure enough, its not there. several vehicles were broken into in my neighborhood sunday night. I am normally very good about locking my truck, but i also have twin three year olds that will play with my fob on my keys given any chance.

Bowtech Guardian. RIP. its october 6 and i have no bow.

I am frozen shocked, i don't even know what to do. I haven't bought a bow in probably 7 years. had no reason to ever want to replace this bow. I've made police report and thats as far as i can even get.

this seems like as good a place to put that out there as any.

That is terrible. Not much lower than a thief. Keep an eye on craigslist; it might turn up there.

Good luck.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:35 am

Lockdown wrote:When my buddy and I were around 16 or 17 we headed out duck hunting. Nothing was doing at our normal spots, so we went for a cruise to try and find some birds... And did we ever! We found a public slew that was full of ducks, and there were geese out there too.

We noticed a couple hunters on the south field edge, but nobody was out in the middle. We decided we'd get ambitious and drag the duck boat across several hundred yards of CRP the next morning. We got up extra early and broke ice on the slew once we got there.

Ducks and geese were piling out in the pre-dawn darkness. We threw out the decoys and absolutely melted our gun barrels that day. I think it took a box of shells each to get our limit. The ducks decoyed great... It was one of those days you dream about.

We were only a mile from a town of 600 people, and we figured we were the only ones dedicated enough to go through that much work to get these ducks.

We stashed the duck boat in the cattails (which you're not supposed to do) so we could hammer em again the next morning. We loaded up the truck as vehicles slowly rolled by. It was then we noticed a slight oversight that we had made.

Along with the green public signs, there were also some intermixed "state waterfowl refuge" signs! We were so fixed on the ducks that we only noticed the green and white signs, but not the yellow ones.

People saw us out in the middle of the slew in the boat, at the truck with
Ducks on the tailgate, the whole 9 yards. Needless to say I dropped the hammer and we got the heck out of there.

Dad was less than impressed when we told him the news. To make matters worse we still had to go get the duck boat. With Dad spearheading the operation and mom as the get away driver, she dropped us off and left while we drug the boat back at midnight in pitch darkness, then came and picked us up at the predetermined time.

If you're ever looking to slay some mallards, try a refuge in broad daylight. I still have no idea why nobody called the game warden.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:00 am

Jarang I can relate since I was broken into as well. Public hunting lot that I no longer use because of it. For some reason my homeowners insurance gave some reimbursement.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:04 pm

jarang1128 wrote:So, i was just a few hours ago sitting at my desk, and i thought to myself, wait a second, my bow was not in my backseat this morning. I ran out to my truck, and sure enough, its not there. several vehicles were broken into in my neighborhood sunday night. I am normally very good about locking my truck, but i also have twin three year olds that will play with my fob on my keys given any chance.

I am frozen shocked, i don't even know what to do. I haven't bought a bow in probably 7 years. had no reason to ever want to replace this bow. I've made police report and thats as far as i can even get.

That's horrible man, I feel terrible for you. Anyone who would do something like that is a complete low life. I know it was already posted but your insurance should cover something like that. I hope you can get another bow right away and get yourself back in the game. Id hate to see your season ruined because of some loser.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Below is a copy of a post I made following a hunt in 2010:

This morning's bow hunt started like all others, I awoke at 2 am and was hiking in before 4 am. Crossing the creek was uneventful unlike last time when I swamped my waders, so far so good. I even was able to find my tree right away without wandering around in the dark for an extra half hour. The trouble started after climbing up the tree. A branch was blocking one of my shooting lanes so I decided to cut it down with my saw. I quickly determined that the branch was dead and dried out and all the sawing was going to make too much racket so I decided to just reach out and give it a yank to break it off. The first yank I heard a loud pop, figuring the next yank would do the trick I pulled again, harder, and sent a tree the diameter of a telephone pole crashing into my stand tree. Luckily I had set my stand at enough of an angle so I could duck behind my tree and avoid being crushed by this falling tree. Unfortunately the falling tree was forked and as the branches crashed down on either side of my stand tree it tangled my pull rope so I couldn't pull my bow up. Even worse the falling tree didn't fall all the way to the ground, but was wedged up tight against my tree and the branches where blocking the descent of my climbing tree stand below me. After much maneuvering and breaking of branches I was able to descend half way and untangle my pull rope, thus was able to hunt until 10:00. Not surprisingly I didn't see any deer, but I did make it home alive. Had I not been able to descend I would have had to call my wife to bring me a saw, and cut down the rest of the tree. Good thing it didn't come to that, because I would have had to direct her in via cell phone instructions, (almost a mile) and she would have had to borrow my too big, leaky waders to ford the creek, she would still probably be wandering around the public hunting area.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Wow Neil that is a bad day. :doh:

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:45 pm

jmaas07 wrote:

That's horrible man, I feel terrible for you. Anyone who would do something like that is a complete low life. I know it was already posted but your insurance should cover something like that. I hope you can get another bow right away and get yourself back in the game. Id hate to see your season ruined because of some loser.

X2

That really sucks. Hope things turn out for you and best case you can get your bow back if they get caught. Nothing worst than lowlife thiefs. :angry-banghead:

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Whoa, some really bad ones here! I'm glad you were not hurt JM.

Mine is not really bad luck, just a "Did that really just happen?" situation.

On Sunday I narrowed down a bucks entrance route at a dry creek crossing and I had two options for a morning sit. Well, I picked the wrong option. So at 9 o'clock I decided to sneak down the creek 100 yards to verify that he entered from the other option. On the way down there in the muddy creek bottom I slipped and fell. I was fine but a little bit frustrated at the noise. I wasn't feeling well and decided just to drop a deuce right there anyway.

Well, feeling a bit better in my gut, I decided to weigh my options. I knew I had only another hour before I needed to leave and likely wasted any chance of killing him that day. But, I knew where he was and decided to find out his exit route when pressured.

So I backtracked and circled his area, then loudly pushed into the thicket and explored for a while. Afterward, I walked the creek again and searched for prints.

Do you know where I found his track? Yep, right next to a fresh pile of my own poop!

I may need to potty in the woods more often...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:05 pm

My lips are sealed... :shhh:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:30 pm

This one happened while squirrel hunting but figure it would fit this thread...me and buddy are out hunting squirrels and I see one coming down the tree, "BANG" I hit him with my ruger 10/22 and he dropped instantly so we go over and only can see his tail in the thick underbrush, my buddy while talking to me bends down to pick him up and the squirrel starts screaming, my buddy throws him up in the air after letting out a little scream himself :lol: what I thought was a for sure kill turned into a long track job and never did find that squirrel again. Now I always dead check the squirrel lol

feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:11 am

jmaas07 wrote:

It's terrible what people do for drug money

deereload

Unread postby deereload » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:22 am

3 yaers ago - 2nd week of October bow hunting on a state game and fish area - DNR charged me with hunting without an orange vest - I said what do you mean officer - he replies - its the youth firearm season in the state and you need to be wearing blaze orange - I said - officer they do not permit youth firearms season on this property - he said - well if its state wide and even if its not allowed on the property you need to be wearing it ....... well needless to say he showed me his gun and badge and then gave me a 250.00 dollar ticket - oh did I mention Illinois is corrupt - I really hate this state - I am outta here soon
jarang1128

Unread postby jarang1128 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:25 am

Well, the world works in mysterious ways. Last night i convinced myself that, in fact, my bow was not stolen, but that i had left it in the field last hunt, and it was probably laying on the ground. So i told my wife i was going to wake up early, drive the hour over to illinois, check the spot i parked, then turn around and drive to work, which begins at 7am. She said i was an idiot, but whatever.

i get off interstate (hwy 64 in southern illinois) onto hwy 1, and have to do a big loop back under interstate to head south. as i go under interstate, i look over and see a truck just demolished up against the concrete wall. I drive on, and then think to myself, that's weird, why would a truck wreck just be left there. so i turned around. its 5:30 in the morning. i pull up and get a flashlight, and start to walk up to truck, fully expecting it to be empty, and i see an arm sticking out through the mess. A guy is totally just crushed, but still alive and conscious. I called 911 and then talked to the guy and held his hand until paramedics arrived. it took them 45 minutes to cut the roof of the truck and pull it apart to get him out. The first paramedic on the scene immediately called for a helicopter.

I called work and told them i would be late.

An hour later i drove the last 15 minutes down to farm. There in the grass was my bow.

the world works in mysterious ways.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:44 am

That's terrible jarang, yes things work in mysterious ways and good you were there. Hope it works out. Glad you found your bow too.

Yesterday i was cutting wood at the property and went to move some BIG logs and my right thumb was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got crushed between two logs. It's still swelling bigger 24 hrs later and obviously smashed the bone. Going to have to work a little slower on setting up now with stand and sticks. You never know, sometimes the smallest of things can cause a lot of grief / pain. Could always be worse though. Especially after reading jarang's post.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:59 am

I guess the world does work in mysterious ways. That lost bow sounds like it saved a life.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”