When beast hunting, what do you see...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
twksk8

When beast hunting, what do you see...

Unread postby twksk8 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:27 pm

Just curious... I see so many guys sitting over corn and their "every afternoon" ladder stands... and they see does and small bucks all the time. What do you all typically see when beast hunting? Do you have hot spots where you see a lot of action that you hit a few times each season? Or do you have a lot of uneventful sits...

Personally, I see a lot of squirrels and armadillos. If anyone can find a use for armadillos, let me know... I can't come up with anything.

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: When beast hunting, what do you see...

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:30 pm

You described my old way of hunting-field edges and hunting one of the 100 major trails in the woods. This offseason was my first off season beast scouting so Im anxious to see myself!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:32 pm

I have done 14 sits so far and seen deer on 3 sits. Only counting deer seen from stand during shooting light.

Of those 3 productive sits I have seen 4 bucks and 1 doe, killed 2 bucks and 1 doe...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:34 pm

When bed hunting, I don't see much, but usually when i see a deer, it is appears almost exactly where I expected it to. It is pretty satisfying to see. I just need to set up on a bed with a big buck in it now :mrgreen:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:03 am

There was a thread about this before. I think its on the best tactical thread. Dan said you'll probably see less deer. Hunting buck beds I would agree because they like to bed alone in isolation from the herd except for the rut timeframe and maybe late season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:17 am

Five sits so far this year - 0 sightings! Busted two deer out of one bedding area on the last sit. They caught the reflection of the sun off some bare metal on my stand (it's taped now)! I was trying to set up 40 yards from bedding - maybe a little close but I've done it in that stand many times before - you win some you lose some.

BEAST hunting is a low quantity / high quality type of hunt. Mix this in with heavy pressure and low deer densities on public land, makes for some boring sits. However, when all goes right you can be sure you are on the best deer the area has to offer!
Remember to take your kids!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:52 am

90% uneventful and most of my "events" happen during entrance when I have to bump younger deer or does to get to the goods. It's all about those rare but great encounters when you have a mature buck in close. I could see all kinds of deer if I wanted to but I've been there and done that.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:09 am

I've seen one buck on stand so far this year. It depends though. In farmland there is a lot of overlap because the good cover is limited. On farmland hunts I see more deer. If your goals are to shoot nice bucks though the other deer sightings are meaningless.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:13 am

I agree, when hunting farmland I see a ton of deer, it seems like the bucks come from the same area just later on in the evening. Swamps on the other hand I feel pretty good if I see 1 deer, and it's usually right where I predicted. But hills? I see ALOT of squirrels. Unless it's the rut then nothing beats a ridge or saddle connecting bedding areas in my opinion.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:18 am

I am 0 for 2 years beast style bed hunting on mature bucks. I remember a quote on the forum saying, if you are seeing does and young bucks, your in the wrong spot. I must be getting better because I see very few deer since I started bed hunting than the way I use to hunt. Lol

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:21 am

I don't seem many deer bed hunting. I've had 4 sits all on different pre scouted beds and haven't seen a deer yet. Just takes one though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”