Public Land Hunting Strategy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dkoy85

Public Land Hunting Strategy

Unread postby dkoy85 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:24 am

My buddy and I have been back and forth figuring out where we are going to hunt for our 16 days in November and I think we finally nailed it down. It is pretty much one giant 14,000 acre block of public land, without any private, that seems to be very well managed by the state. It is definitely hill country and rugged with no agriculture. The property is in a continual logging state and has a decent network of logging trails and I can get over a mile deep. Not many access points for hunters so I'm thinking that putting a few hills between me and the parking should eliminate much of the pressure I'll see from other hunters.

I've never been on a rut hunt like this and would very much appreciate any advice on how any of you would attack a property like this. I'm fortunate to have 16 days and my goal is to cyber scout like crazy then scout for 3-4 days straight when I arrive and hang cameras. What are you guys looking for in terrain like this?

SEMObowhunter

Re: Public Land Hunting Strategy

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Look for terrain features. Ridges with low saddles, points that drop off to creeks, the top sides of steep hillsides in a long ridge, just to name a few. Also dont pass up clearcuts. Deer flock to these to feed on the new growth and then bed in them when they are 3 or so years old. Another spot I really like is the middle point splitting the head of a big draw or holler as we call them. My personal favorite is a low saddle as deer will uss it regardless of what stage of the rut. I would pick a few places like this and mark them on a gps, then hunt them while keeping me eyes open for fresh sign. be prepared to move around according to the sign.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:39 pm

^ yep.

However not all saddles are created equal. I wouldn't bother running cameras in the rut. You may never see the same deer twice. Cyber scout, then verify what you find by scouting stand on your back. Set up on the fresh sign near likely bedding. Saddles benches and clearcuts with sign can be good. Remember the wind. A leeward bench that drops off steeply can be great. Good luck.

Missionshooter

Unread postby Missionshooter » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:05 pm

I too wouldn't bother running cameras. Waste of time and the deer will avoid the area for a couple days after you place the trail cam anyway bc of your scent.

Hunt the travel corridors and use the terrain to your advantage. The top 1/3 of the ridges is where the bucks will be traveling.
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Step 1 buy this: http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/hbshop/d ... untry.html

Step 2 watch like 3 times

Step 3 print a topo map of your desired hill top you wanted to target

Step 4 analyze like in the video for each wind direction
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:41 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Just reinforced some of my thoughts. I generally run cameras for the simple fact of finding a good buck using a certain area, not to find a hunting spot. Then I'll break the area down on google maps and find a likely travel corridor. I find that a mature buck won't travel too much outside of a square mile for an extended period of time. It's worked in the past with success and will be something I'll continue to do.

I do have the DVD's and have watched all of them countless times, I was just curious as to how you guys would attack a property without ever having stepped foot on it. :L:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:00 am

Keep moving until you find the hot spot. Once you find the Hotspot sit it hard until it goes cold. Don't leave good activity looking for something else. Let the does coming in heat bring the big ones to you.

I would put cams in some funnels and run them the entire time. You will at the very least have good Intel for next year.

That trip sounds like it will be fun.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:25 am

I don't run cameras much in the areas I hunt for the simple fact that I rarely hunt the same place twice. This cuts down on intrusion and keeps me from hunting a certain place just so I can check my camera. I Just pick a terrain feature and go to it. If I see some promising sign or have a good encounter I may hunt it another time or come back for a later hunt, if I get skunked I move on. On new ground, with limited time, I always feel my odds are better with fresh stand sights and really broaden my area. We are creatures of habit and tend to get bogged down hunting the same places because they are easy to access, or you can see good, or it looks good. Just my opinion. Good luck!
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:06 am

PK_ wrote:Keep moving until you find the hot spot. Once you find the Hotspot sit it hard until it goes cold. Don't leave good activity looking for something else. Let the does coming in heat bring the big ones to you.

I would put cams in some funnels and run them the entire time. You will at the very least have good Intel for next year.

That trip sounds like it will be fun.

Thanks PK, we're very excited to get out to this property. We've been changing our minds so much on where were going but feel we finally made the right choice(assuming my buddy doesn't tag out this week in Ohio). What you said about sticking to the hot spot makes sense... especially in this case. I have a few oxbows picked out about a mile deep I'm interested in hunting. All in all it looks like a super fun and challenging property to hunt- so at the very least it will be a big learning experience.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”