Noise from our clothes/camosuits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Noise from our clothes/camosuits

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:11 am

With the topics of camo and how good they break up our silouettes. I thought about how important how noiseless our hunting clothes are is.

I've found a trend these days. With the move to using more synthetic materials in hunting garments that the quiet factor has been lost somewhat. Especially in cooler below freezing temps. I've found it especially hard to find packs that meet my quiet standards. When I was a young hunter quiet clothing was something that everybody really drilled home. Some of today's gear have great outer shells. But to improve wind stopping and moisture stopping capabilities the inner shell/liners are stiff and noisy. Like I said especially in colder temps.

How important is this to you when choosing gear? I know Dan has had alot of success hunting in jeans. But I would think trying to hunt as close to beds as possible. Having super quiet gear. Gear that doesn't make that swishing sound when walking or moving through undergrowth would help considerably.

Dewey

Re: Noise from our clothes/camosuits

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:13 am

I like basic fleece. Agree that most waterproof or windproof garments sound like a potato chip bag in cold weather.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:23 am

Dewey wrote:I like basic fleece.

This.

Or an outer shell of brushed Polyester tricot. That was the outer fabric of choice when I sewed my heater body suit as it is very quiet. I concealed the poly wind stopping layers between the layers of fleece and 3m Thinsulate.

The pattern wont matter but here is what Im talking about

https://store.realtree.com/realtree-xtr ... eight.html

I used it to make my suit and other warm weather gear. Here is the video I made.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ap6LDNM_mU#t=38[/bbvideo]
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:47 am

I agree, I really like my wool for quiet operation. (I've been looking for a way to buy the fabric so that I could make it for myself at a lower cost. I have saved much by using military surplus.) I keep wanting to buy a good wind layer to wear with my wool but I haven't yet found what I'm looking for.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:37 am

Another nod for any fleece or "soft shell" type of clothing.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:40 am

Fleece.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:47 am

I still really like wool. Except for the cost. Fleece runs a close 2nd.

How about Enigma's fabric? Wolf something.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am

I make a lot of my stuff from blizzard fleece. It doe not come in the nifty "must have" camo patterns.

http://www.joann.com/search?q=blizzard+ ... v1=Product
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:21 pm

stash59 wrote:I still really like wool. Except for the cost. Fleece runs a close 2nd.

I was sitting in a tree with Big hunt a few days ago and it was dead silent out. He was wearing ASAT (I think?) in a material that was tough like denim and I was wearing Enigma... Don't mean to pick on big hunt, but everytime that suit rubbed against the tree it made a lot of noise in my opinion. The Enigma is like felt or fleece or something like that it is really quiet... as far as blue jeans making noise? I don't thint there overly noisy, but whats on your back against the tree matters more.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:59 pm

All I wear is wool from early season to late season. I like the first lite merino wool quarter zips for early season and my bunwarmer wool pants. Quiet it as it gets.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:08 pm

dan wrote:
stash59 wrote:I still really like wool. Except for the cost. Fleece runs a close 2nd.

I was sitting in a tree with Big hunt a few days ago and it was dead silent out. He was wearing ASAT (I think?) in a material that was tough like denim and I was wearing Enigma... Don't mean to pick on big hunt, but everytime that suit rubbed against the tree it made a lot of noise in my opinion. The Enigma is like felt or fleece or something like that it is really quiet... as far as blue jeans making noise? I don't thint there overly noisy, but whats on your back against the tree matters more.

dan your right on the money....i can't stand that noise that your back/tree makes. i don't think the squirrels can imitate that racket,even on a shag bark hickory. as for the blue jeans mine are really worn...no noise at all.
maybe off subject ...but i saw a demo with different camo patterns,in a b-w photos...the winner..worn blue jeans and blue jean jacket!
that combo in a tree was just this side of invisible.
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:42 pm

We have a tough time finding a quiet backpacks for sure. Best ever were some cheap ones from kmart, but they wore out after a few years. I'll take quiet over heavy duty. I got a canvas military one that is ok now but the ones advertised to hunters seem terrible. I don't know of one commercial pack that I would call quiet but am open to suggestions. Every time I go into gander, fleet, cabelas etc all the packs are horrible IMO.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:37 am

Best quiet backpack I have found is a day one pack in wool, fleece or saddlecloth...great pack for a treestand.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:03 am

My old Dwight Shue style backpack with the old Coleman Peak 1 frame has fleece bags. I killed all my elk while wearing this pack. Just thinking I need to down size for the shorter distances involved in the small public chunks back here in Wisconsin. In Montana most of my Whitetail hunts still involved long walks in rugged terrain. Where I still felt it nessasary to have some survival gear along.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:25 am

I have been searching high and low for a good quiet pack. I'm still not happy but I have a cheap one I got from walmart years ago that is semi quiet. I need to find something like my old army field pack (it is way to big) with the draw sting opening and flap to cover but in a quieter material then they came with. I HATE zippers and velcro.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”