Hunting after work

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

attackone

Hunting after work

Unread postby attackone » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:02 am

For you guys that hunt after work what time are you getting home or getting in your tree

oldrank

Re: Hunting after work

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:06 am

I get out at 5 n it takes me 17 minutes to get to my spot. Some of my hikes in are up to 45 minutes. Other spots I hunt right by the rd.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:10 am

I hunt regularly after work. Most places take about 20 min to drive to and then another 20 - 30 minutes to stand. These hunts are on heavily hunted public properties where the nocturnal nature of the deer actually helps in this situation. I take it real slow and quiet to get set up and feel ok if I only have 45 min to an hour before closing time by the time I am set up. Typically I see most deer in the last 10 - 15 min of shooting time.

The other nice thing is that most of the time during the week - NOBODY else is hunting!
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:58 am

I get off at 3:30. That usually has me parking my truck to go in the woods by 4:30 or so. Wish I could get there a little earlier. I get a little personal time from work that I can use for spots that are farther away. I can hunt after work up until daylight savings ends. Then I have to start using up vacation time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:45 am

[quote="Trailcamaddict"]I hunt regularly after work. Most places take about 20 min to drive to and then another 20 - 30 minutes to stand. These hunts are on heavily hunted public properties where the nocturnal nature of the deer actually helps in this situation. I take it real slow and quiet to get set up and feel ok if I only have 45 min to an hour before closing time by the time I am set up. Typically I see most deer in the last 10 - 15 min of shooting time.

The other nice thing is that most of the time during the week - NOBODY else is hunting![/

This is the same scenerio I have. For Me I work on the property I hunt so it's either a walk a bike ride or a trip in the truck down the road.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:51 am

The after work situation improves for those who can bail out of the job early after dst kicks the clocks back.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:24 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:I hunt regularly after work. Most places take about 20 min to drive to and then another 20 - 30 minutes to stand. These hunts are on heavily hunted public properties where the nocturnal nature of the deer actually helps in this situation. I take it real slow and quiet to get set up and feel ok if I only have 45 min to an hour before closing time by the time I am set up. Typically I see most deer in the last 10 - 15 min of shooting time.

The other nice thing is that most of the time during the week - NOBODY else is hunting!

This sums up me too, but 10 minutes longer to set up

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:48 am

Yep, I've hunted after work and only got in 45 minutes to 1.5 hours but it can work.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:52 am

I leave work at 4am. Usually in a tree shortly after 5am. Hunt for about 3hrs or so after daylight. Go home for a 4 hour powernap before work and it starts all over again.... I usually look half dead by the end of bow season :lol:

SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:28 pm

I always print out a civil twilight calendar for Oct/Nov so i know when my shooting light ends. From that I'll factor in my travel time from work and into my location to ensure I leave work early enough to have at least 2.5 hrs in the stand.
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:57 pm

I get home around 5 that put me in stand anywhere between 5-6 our season doesnt come in until the first weekend of oct. Im always worried about ruining my properties for when i have more time to go. I have thought about just sitting on the field edges and try and fill my doe tags
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:28 am

SneakyHunter wrote:I always print out a civil twilight calendar for Oct/Nov so i know when my shooting light ends. From that I'll factor in my travel time from work and into my location to ensure I leave work early enough to have at least 2.5 hrs in the stand.

I think backwards as well. If I want to be on stand by a certain time, I then subtract, setup time, hike time, and commute time, so I know when I have to leave work or home. I don't like running late because then I get in a hurry, and I think I remember the BBSK saying on one of the DVDs, "the only thing that moves fast in the woods is a human" or something along those lines.

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

I get out of here at 4, hop on the freeway and in less than 30 mins I'm walking in. That puts me in my tree around 5 and right now that's over two hours in the woods. I'll keep doing it as long as I can. This is the first year I've done this, and I like it.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:18 am

I get off work at 7 am. My closest spots are a 20 minute drive. They get burnt out easily. My good ground is 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours away so I don't bother outside of the rut unless I can leave work at 3 am.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”