Tree stand Access

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Posts: 18738
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 am
Facebook: None
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:34 am

I agree with Bucky the approach is a very important part of the hunt.

This is an actual set up I did about 6 years ago. I killed a good buck with this approach and set up. It was much shorter to just walk directly to where I wanted to hunt this bottle neck. I have not hunted this spot again since then.

It was .65 miles to the stand from the truck. I walked 1.7 miles to get there as illustrated. If you want to tag a good buck, you gotta do what you gotta do and then do it. If you think hard enough and long enough you can usually come up with the "best" approach. It may not be perfect but it needs to be the best.



Image


You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club
Posts: 4573
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 am
Location: IA
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:51 pm

headgear wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Good stuff Bucky, completely agree. The way I look at it if you don't have good access you might as well not hunt some spots and if you don't have a good exit route you might as well not come back...which sometimes might be ok, you might not be coming back.


On the flip side this is why us public land guys hunt our sets one and done, there isn't always a perfect access so you have to slip in and burn up the whole area and shoot one or move on. I understand why you might not want to over hunt an because of access but I wouldn't rule it out completely if you know you can move in for a kill. We all know entrance and exit can make or break you but just wanted to post another perspective.


That's a good point, I sort of skimmed over that. Now that I rarely hunt a spot more than once I concentrate a lot on the entry but the exit I often don't worry much about if I know I am not coming back to the area. Sure, maybe that is a little short sighted but just being willing to keep moving gives a person a huge advantage all by itself.

Another point worth bringing up, a good entry to your setup does not necessarily mean spooking NO deer. It means not alerting the deer you are after. I often hear guys say they don't want to hunt a certain area because they can't get in there....if you can bump deer in a safe direction, go for it. When I hear that comment, I think - honey hole! Now that might be different on a small property where you want to hunt a bunch and minimize any disturbance, but when you are more mobile it pays to be aggressive....I bump deer on a lot of my walks in, just try when I come up on those areas its from an angle to send them off in a safe direction.

Then of course there is the tactic to "stack" deer into an area you want them but that is a topic for another day....
feutza
500 Club
Posts: 892
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:30 am
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby feutza » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Bucky wrote:Standing corn is another one I didn't mention... I walk through standing corn without too much concern.

I too weed whip my access trails on the private land I lease.... right to the dirt. I go as far as to kill it with glyphos in spring/summer. It definetly helps... I'm kinda getting to the point that I don't care as much anymore either. I enjoy the woods and quiet as much as the next guy. I'm just trying to help those that so badly want that "wall" hanger think about the things I never thought about until a decade of doing it on my own. Stand access/stink trails are way overlooked and maybe not discussed as much as they should be in regards to trying to out smart older class bucks (3.5yr olds +). 2yr olds will let you get away with it... 4s and 5s very rarely

Bucky what are your thoughts about tractor paths access routes as far as human sents

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky
Posts: 5548
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 am
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:53 pm

feutza wrote:
Bucky wrote:Standing corn is another one I didn't mention... I walk through standing corn without too much concern.

I too weed whip my access trails on the private land I lease.... right to the dirt. I go as far as to kill it with glyphos in spring/summer. It definetly helps... I'm kinda getting to the point that I don't care as much anymore either. I enjoy the woods and quiet as much as the next guy. I'm just trying to help those that so badly want that "wall" hanger think about the things I never thought about until a decade of doing it on my own. Stand access/stink trails are way overlooked and maybe not discussed as much as they should be in regards to trying to out smart older class bucks (3.5yr olds +). 2yr olds will let you get away with it... 4s and 5s very rarely

Bucky what are your thoughts about tractor paths access routes as far as human sents

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image


I use em... Logging roads sometimes too. They are better than going through cover or areas deer are NOT used to smelling humans.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
User avatar
MOBIGBUCKS
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:21 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:22 pm

headgear wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Good stuff Bucky, completely agree. The way I look at it if you don't have good access you might as well not hunt some spots and if you don't have a good exit route you might as well not come back...which sometimes might be ok, you might not be coming back.


On the flip side this is why us public land guys hunt our sets one and done, there isn't always a perfect access so you have to slip in and burn up the whole area and shoot one or move on. I understand why you might not want to over hunt an because of access but I wouldn't rule it out completely if you know you can move in for a kill. We all know entrance and exit can make or break you but just wanted to post another perspective.



Really good point.
matt1336
500 Club
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:35 pm

I use water access whenever possible...boats, waders or getting wet (in the early season). It's all worth it. By getting creative in your approach, you're ahead of 80-90% of the other hunters in the woods- imho.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 5989
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:01 pm

muddy wrote: At this point I'm going to walk thru a freaking standing corn field to make it work.
[ Post made via Android ] Image


I enter through corn fields all the time. IMHO there is no better way to keep yourself concealed and access with stealth than through standing corn. Not saying it doesn't suck :lol:

I don't think they take offense to danger (mainly scent) in a corn field like they do other places.

People NEVER go in the middle of standing corn fields and they know that. Maybe they come across it once in a while, but I hunt big farm country, and human intrusion and scent is hard to escape. It's something they're used to finding from time to time.
BigCedarJack
500 Club
Posts: 760
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Thanks for the wisdom and reminder Bucky and others.
Edge
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby Edge » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:13 am

Great posts guys, I appreciate all the knowledge you guys drop on here!

Quick question: how far should you walk out of your way to allow your entrance scent to disperse enough to be non-alarming if the bedding your hunting is downwind of your entrance trail (this is assuming you cannot enter your stand location from downwind)? I know different terrains/terrain features interact with scent dispersal differently but I guess I'm just looking for a ball park estimate....300 yards? 400 yards?
User avatar
Edcyclopedia
Posts: 10743
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: S. NH
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:44 am

In suburban hunting it's also a must.
Deer are used to the neighborhood they live in and the different smells they encounter along their paths. Change that smell and good-bye baby!

My most effective spots tend to be off footpaths and then through streams.
3 of my 8 pointers were shot this way.

Maybe I'll post these hunts when I get time...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
User avatar
Czabs
500 Club
Posts: 2459
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:32 pm
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652
Location: WISCO
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:32 am

I typically the majority of what is said here...I do have a question for you hill fellas. Say your hunting a spot top 1/3rd elevation during the rut and its between two beddings. Bottom to the south, top to the north, bedding on points to the east and west. You would typically access that location from the north or south whatever one you won't be crossing trails I would imagine? So now say your only option is to come in from the south (bottom) because the north is private. i typically try to cut to stand where I will have shooting so when deer hits scent trail and stops you have a shot. But I'm wondering if anyone has a better solution to this. I was thinking about dumping. Bottle of pee or something right where I cross that trail or do a drag. I've never done anything like this and thought maybe it would help mask scent? Thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky
Posts: 5548
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 am
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:36 am

Czabs wrote:I typically the majority of what is said here...I do have a question for you hill fellas. Say your hunting a spot top 1/3rd elevation during the rut and its between two beddings. Bottom to the south, top to the north, bedding on points to the east and west. You would typically access that location from the north or south whatever one you won't be crossing trails I would imagine? So now say your only option is to come in from the south (bottom) because the north is private. i typically try to cut to stand where I will have shooting so when deer hits scent trail and stops you have a shot. But I'm wondering if anyone has a better solution to this. I was thinking about dumping. Bottle of pee or something right where I cross that trail or do a drag. I've never done anything like this and thought maybe it would help mask scent? Thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image


Curtis - I try to cross the cruzn trail where I can CHOOT em! :lol: If possible, I prefer coming in off top...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
User avatar
headgear
500 Club
Posts: 10235
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am
Location: Northern Minnesota
Status: Online

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:18 am

Edge wrote:Great posts guys, I appreciate all the knowledge you guys drop on here!

Quick question: how far should you walk out of your way to allow your entrance scent to disperse enough to be non-alarming if the bedding your hunting is downwind of your entrance trail (this is assuming you cannot enter your stand location from downwind)? I know different terrains/terrain features interact with scent dispersal differently but I guess I'm just looking for a ball park estimate....300 yards? 400 yards?


I have shot a buck after crossing upwind of his bed, I stayed about 400-500 yards back and moved pretty fast. Have a few spots like this with limited access so sometimes you just have to gamble. If you can stay further back I would.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9755
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:04 am

Planning the access is step one, but it can take some effort to make it work. The last 5 years or so, I've spent more time prepping my access than my stand site. Sometimes it's clearing out down trees in waterways. Sometimes it is clearing sticks and logs out of ditches. Sometimes its as easy as moving "hidden" sticks buried under leaf litter for the final approach. Not only does it improve stealth, it gives you valuable familiarity prior to the actual hunt as oftentimes it is my first time in the spot.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9755
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: Tree stand Access

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:14 am

Another helpful tip is to take a lot of pictures or better yet a video of your access. Review it prior to your hunt. This helps a ton and reminds you of the challenges.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adrenalin, dannyboy, Duke1981, headgear, Net Guy, NHODN, Shilohspur, stash59, walleyeralph and 3 guests