"Dead-space" unfortunate hunt!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dabowhunter

Re: "Dead-space" unfortunate hunt!

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:15 am

If it was a high hit above the spine the arrow would have passed thru some tallow that would help wipe off any possible blood. Was there any hair on the ground or arrow?

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:33 am

muddy wrote:When any animal breathes out the whole chest is contracting, not just the lungs themselves, so there is no void between the lungs and the chest wall lining. The diaphragm moves in conjunction with the ribs to help the animal breathe. As the whole rib cage moves so do the lungs, they don't separate

x2 There are some pictures out there I know. But I still do not believe in the "dead space"
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Very very small speckles of blood on one of 3 vanes, also arrow seemed to be very slippery although no hair or talo / fat on arrow.

Must of shot low and a little far back...who knows. :shock: Once I harvest this deer i will inspect (CSI... :lol: )tha deer for any such wounds. :|
RJR-007
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Robert, sucks about the hit....... but as others have said already there is no void area or dead space above the lungs and below the spine.....You either hit backstrap, spine or lungs, there is no area of nothingness......I would bet there was probably brown hair at the shot and if the arrow was greasy with little to no blood, I would guess you blew through backstrap. Was the blood that was on the arrow bright red? But not frothy? Bright red usually = muscle hit. Get back out there and put one through his lungs so we can end the debate. :lol:
Bowhunter4ever!!!!!!!!

Visit my website
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:18 pm

I don't understand this "dead space" what would be in there a vacuum? then it would suck the lungs up against the cavity and it wouldn't be "dead" any more. Or do we have "air" in the dead space? and every time the lungs expand it needs to be compressed.
In fact if air were to get in the thoracic cavity it would collapse the lung or lungs(pneumothorax).
My vote is nope, no dead space.
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:22 pm

All right....Im headin out this wednesday mornin and hunting until sunday I will let all of you know what I see what possibly I can or will harvest.

The blood on the vane was bright ....probably as you indicated nothin but muscle.....

By the way for what it is worth...I'm shootin a good arrow loaded with a 100 grain slick-trick at 65 lbs .......

Thanxs a lot for all input,I will let everyone know of results if any.
RJR-007

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”