What broadhead do you use?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: What broadhead do you use?

Unread postby daveynewman » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:33 pm

Hey guys using ramcats I just got mine today in the mail. The heads look like they have a left spin on them and my fetching have a slight right spin. Could that be concerning ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:44 pm

I used to be a die hard Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain.
Then one night I saw a no biased broad head test video by michigan United conservation club(mucc) where they used a machine to pull the bow back. Test was done at 30 yards and they zeroed out the field point, then did the test.
I switched to Rocky Mountain sniper 2 blade 100 grain after that and have never looked back. Never had a single issue and the devastation speaks for itself.
Can't find the video or I would post it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
AttackMode

Unread postby AttackMode » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Going to go with 125 grain cut on contact gravedigger's this year.
I just kill mtn bucks
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Muzzy 100 gr. 3 blade. Made the switch last year and don't have any complaints, they certainly get the job done. Quality product.
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
MNHUNTER23

Unread postby MNHUNTER23 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:23 pm

I'll be using the Rage hypodermic again this year.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Go montec. Flies great and have never had a problem.

mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Used the g5 Montecs, had a had time getting them scary sharp, used slick tricks for a bit, but switched everything up this year. Went to a heavy setup, EFOC, 175 grain Strickland Helix 2 blade single bevel. On a BE Carnivore 250 shaft with 50 grain insert and 50grain weight. Total arrow weight is in the 620 range. Bow is silent, arrows shot like darts, maybe on the slower side, but so quiet.

SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Have always shot thunderheads and liked them but giving the hypodermics a try this year just to see what I think since it seems wveryone has a strong opinion on rage whether for against

SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:44 pm

This another Ford and Chevy argument but I'll give my .02. I've killed a lot of deer with a bow and shot both fixed and mechanical heads. I've killed deer with both styles of heads also. But......the only deer I've ever lost, four to be exact, came when I shot mechanicals. Coincidence? Possibly. Error on my part? Very possible also. But it's enough evidence for me to stick with fixed heads. I've used both Muzzy 100's and g5 montecs with awesome results. I love montecs in every category, except that I can never get them as sharp as I'd like after I have shot a deer with them. The muzzy is superb. They are readily available, inexpensive, fly good, and easy to sharpen or replace the blades. I used to spend hundreds of dollars on broadheads to find one that shot like field points to ensure I didnt have to adjust my sights. The montec was the answer to the problem as they fly excellent. But they are costly to replace. My bow is tuned well and I shoot alot but still cannot get a muzzy to hit exactly like a field tip. I just adjust my sight the inch or so needed and forget about it and shoot the muzzy. They have been around a long time without changing anything to the design, so that should tell us something. They flat kill deer and I always get a pass through. They are just pretty hard to beat in my book.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:53 pm

JoeRE wrote:One thing I don't like is the recent fad of putting steeper and steeper cutting angles on blades. That's the worst thing you can do for penetration.

x2!!

I don't understand why manufacturers design heads with a cutting angle steeper than 45 degrees.

I've shot 100 gr Muzzy 3 blades for 10 years and see no reason to switch. (Note- STANDARD 3 blade... not the MX-3)

IMHO with the MX-3 all you get is a shorter broadhead with a steeper cutting angle. The steeper the cutting angle, the more likely it will deflect off ribs and bone, and the more energy it takes to pass through whatever its trying to cut through. To me, the angle of the blade and effect on penetration is not a matter of opinion, its physics.

That's why murderers stab people with the blade vertical. Not horizontal. Crude example, but it helps make my point ;)
hokiehunter06

Unread postby hokiehunter06 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:11 pm

I've shot the old Wasp 3-blades, Wasp Boss, Slick Tricks, Rage and Rage Extremes, and I currently shoot 125 gr Grave Diggers. A friend of mine is involved with No Limit Archery, so that's why I'm trying them out for a few seasons. The most devastating head I've shot is the Rage Extreme. As far as durability, ST's are hard to beat. The Grave Diggers are a compromise between the two. When I'm shooting at an animal, I'd rather get the animal and lose the broadhead, than lose the animal and save the head.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:15 pm

burkhart wrote:
dirt nap giver wrote:I used to be a die hard Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain.
Then one night I saw a no biased broad head test video by michigan United conservation club(mucc) where they used a machine to pull the bow back. Test was done at 30 yards and they zeroed out the field point, then did the test.
I switched to Rocky Mountain sniper 2 blade 100 grain after that and have never looked back. Never had a single issue and the devastation speaks for itself.
Can't find the video or I would post it.

DNG where do u find those I thought rocky mtn broadheads were extinct. The snyper was the first rear deploying head I ever saw what prob 5-10 yrs before rage

When I heard they had closed their doors I went on a mission and bought a bunch of heads and replacement blades. I am down to my last 5 this year.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
HELENVILLEHUNTER

Unread postby HELENVILLEHUNTER » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:30 pm

Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade for me also.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:19 am

Standard Muzzy 100 over here too haha. I've shot a few: G5 Stryker,NAP razor and Ulmer Edge. I've always gone back to the old green Muzzys.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:37 am

I'm considering changing back to a fixed blade, the G5 Stryker to be exact, but I've shot Cabelas Laser 2 mechanicals the last 2 seasons. Before that spitfires and Grim Reapers. And before that muzzy. The reason I switched was two..arrow flight and I watched one actual break the Trocar tip and bend sideways. It was a shoulder shot on a mature buck, but it still made me think.(was not my deer) I've never lost a deer shot in the killzone with either mechanical or fixed, only bad hits produced no deer, but I wil say this...some bad hits or deflections with mechanicals have also helped me retrieve deer I may not have with a small fixed blade.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”