What would YOU do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: What would YOU do?

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:50 am

headgear wrote:It might be worth it to check the cams mid-day opening day if the wind is ok and see where you most recent activity is, then quickly formulate a plan for the evening.

That's what I was thinking too... I should be able to sneak in there and get it without disturbing them. Not that it would be easy. Here's my issue with that: The camera is an older Cuddeback Expert and it uses a CF (Compact Flash) card. So there's no way I can view them without a computer. I'd either have to sneak in and sneak out, or bring my lap top with me :doh:

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:01 am

I would set an observation stand when I could to gain more Intel. Educate yourself without educating them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:10 pm

If all of your daytime pics were within a week of the 28th or 30th then it could've been because of the full moon. Maybe they were rising early and getting back in bed late. Just a thought...

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:20 pm

I would invite Edcyclopedia to help kill those bucks;)

Good luck, sometimes less is more...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
cbniner

Unread postby cbniner » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:01 am

I would go in and blow the place out and spend the entire day in there finding beds and finding trees, if you don't know where they bed and you are hoping to get lucky. you should find the beds and hope you get lucky by them not leaving
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:04 am

Lockdown wrote:
headgear wrote:It might be worth it to check the cams mid-day opening day if the wind is ok and see where you most recent activity is, then quickly formulate a plan for the evening.

That's what I was thinking too... I should be able to sneak in there and get it without disturbing them. Not that it would be easy. Here's my issue with that: The camera is an older Cuddeback Expert and it uses a CF (Compact Flash) card. So there's no way I can view them without a computer. I'd either have to sneak in and sneak out, or bring my lap top with me :doh:

It looks like your cams are on foodplots so I would slip in midday and change the cards as long as the wind isn't blowing your scent to bedding, see what you have and formulate a plan, you should still have the element of surprise.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:57 pm

DNG - Any location that would work for observing is on the neighbors land. No go. Only other option is creeping in and hiding in the beans, but I'd be scared they'd feed towards me and eventually bust me. Or I wouldn't be able to leave without them seeing me.
On top of that, I highly doubt they are feeding in those beans anymore. I'm sure they're turning by now. I wouldn't be able to see them leave either bedding area and head to corn.

Divergent - That could be. I don't get much for patterns on deer around here, bedding is pretty spread out. You could be right, but I think its most likely a coincidence.

Ed - Maybe I should invite you... you'd have a chance to kill yourself :lol: (Did you see my Beast Bucks thread... I named a buck after you, Dan and Dewey... still waiting on more name worthy bucks but you made the cut right off the bat!) :D

Cbniner - I spent many hours in here this spring and have a good idea where they're bedding. However its hard to figure out which one they're using by scouting my way in. They have good visibility and the areas they bed aren't that big, and the food is close. Pretty easy to get busted.

Headgear - this is on a finger of land about 100 yards wide with crop on both sides. I can get to this camera without busting them out of there, but its not exactly a food plot scenario. I should post the aerial I posted in my journal... no time tonight. I do think the most likely thing I will do is sneak in at noon to check my camera. Only thing that sucks is I might have to go through 3/4 mile of standing corn twice. Depends on the wind direction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”