Hanging a mobile set to hunt evening AND next morning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hanging a mobile set to hunt evening AND next morning

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Have you ever hung a one and done type setup and hunted the next morning also? If so, what made you decide to?
A known good area?
Activity the night before?
Wanting to see more before moving on?
Other?

If so, did you have success the second hunt?

I hunt lots of presets back to back to back, and sometimes see possible shooters each time. This is rut timing/seeking-chasing phases though. It takes more than a couple sits to educate the doe on a perfect access and winds here, and they bring the bucks in.

My question is more for less known areas, setting up on fresh sign in an area. New private lands or remote public spots.

remmag
500 Club

Re: Hanging a mobile set to hunt evening AND next morning

Unread postby remmag » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Curious of this as well... This season will be my first year of beast style hunting and will probably be doing alot of hunting like this after I run out if beds...that is if I don't tag out first :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:28 pm

I do this frequently when hunting new areas. I pick a tree that will work well for PM and AM hunt, hunt it that afternoon, next morning and then dive right in and scout the bedding area since it is already burned. I have shot some bucks on the AM portion. I think I wrote a little more about this tactic in my 'bio' thread.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Iv hung and left the stand for the am when I knew there was a hot doe in the area

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:43 pm

I do it during the rut...

Early season I don't see why...that spots burnt...you walked in...hunted it for atleast a few hours...walked out...left your stand and scent in a tree..and gunna walk back in....there may be times and places it works...but thatd be the exception not the rule in my book...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:02 pm

During pre rut and rut this tactic has worked well for me. I call the method truck camping, cause I sleep in the cab. Most of these are weekend hunts on public that are far enough away from home to make it worth spending the night alone in my truck.

I have actually killed 3 bucks like this, on the 2nd morning hunt after leaving my climber over night. So if I pull in on a sat morning I will go to an old go to spot that I know has/had deer and I can put my climber on easily in the dark. After day break if I've had no action I return to truck with my stand. That afternoon I will strike out, stand on back to find hot sign or unhunted areas usually both. That evening I decide to adjust or relocate for morning. If I leave my stand I mark it on my gps and prepare to hunt it next am.

The first buck I killed was a 2.5 yr old 6 point. During muzzleloader season of 2013. I was hunting a spot that had a peninsula of taller trees into the cutover. I didn't see anything all afternoon, it was very windy and the first cold day. As I was getting ready to descend I heard a solo deer walking nearby, sounded alone and heavy. Next morning I slept too late and was behind on time. I returned to my stand and climbed up quiet as I could. The wind was picking up so I decided I'd try some blind calling, I've never had much luck with it. Hit my buck grunt a few times and waited nothing. Swapped to doe bleat and a buck runs in was still a little early morning grey. I could hear him when he jumped up and immediately was 60 yards away. I could tell he was as wide as his ears ka boom. 10-15 of being on the stand and done.

I also killed an 8 pt later that year during rifle season. I was hunting the edge of a pine reforestation area. I made my first sit on the edge so I could look out into the smaller pines while sitting in the taller pines. That evening I caught a glimpse of a deer but needed to move trees. I knew moving was going to be a noisy process so I moved my stand 80 yards to where I needed to be. I had put out doe and buck pee the next morning and had a doe run strait at it. Behind her was a 2.5 yr old 8 pt. I killed him.

Late last season, I again had success the following morning after leaving my stand overnight. This again was a very thick cutover type area but had a good enough view. I returned the next morning added a little doe pee into my set and waited. I heard a deer coming and got ready when he stepped into a lane I busted him. He was a broken up scrub buck.

None of these were monsters, but they all ate well. Regardless of antler size, I was proud to have them. All 3 of these hunts took hard work and dedication. This is gonna be my first season since discovering beast hunting. They weren't really beast style, they were just my style hunts!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:58 pm

jmaas07 wrote:Iv hung and left the stand for the am when I knew there was a hot doe in the area

X2 actually three days in a row til I shot the buck but I walked in by creek and my tree was two feet from the creek.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:18 am

The only way I'll do this, is if it's pre rut or rut and I know the area is hot, or is on the verge of getting hot. But my access/exit routes have to be flawless. Winds have to be correct, etc. Most of the time, I still take everything down because I have a few proven spots over the last few years.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:40 am

I would never do this unless it pored rain that night and washed my scent away . In early season Any time during the night that Buck could come back and smell u were there. And the odds are the buck will be back and bedded before u get there..

The rut on the other hand, I've done this a few times and had great action the next morning...but think the local deer catch on fast ...it's the crusers that tend not to care...theses are my observation from Western WI hill country
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:22 am

If I find a HOT tree dropping more acorns than any other around, and assuming there is good evidence of deer feeding at the tree, I'll leave my set and hunt the tree in the morning even if I didn't see anything in the evening.

This has nothing to do with bed hunting.
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Had success doing this very thing last year in early December. I had a permanent stand set near a known bedding area not far from a recently picked corn field. The pre hung was set for a South or South East Wind and I've had success there in the past but at the time I had a North Wind so I went in with my Mobile set and hung on the opposite side of the active deer trails coming thru the area about 50 yards from my pre hung (first time Id tried this in this spot). Didn't have much activity the evening before but decided to give it a try again in the morning because of all the sign in the area. The next morning I shot a 12 pointer just after first light coming back from the corn field.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”