How to avoid being picked off in tree

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HighNtree

How to avoid being picked off in tree

Unread postby HighNtree » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:37 am

What are some of the things that you do to keep the deer from seeing you before you can get a shot off? For example, do you sit or stand to take your shot...do you wait for the deer to walk past you before you draw...do you lean against the tree...shoot facing the tree...and so on? Looking for advice on how to close the deal.

Zap

Re: How to avoid being picked off in tree

Unread postby Zap » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:50 am

Be still.

Be ready.

Make your move count.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:27 am

I sit in my stand facing incoming deer... The stand is placed for optimal cover. When I see a target approaching I stand slowly and get my back against the tree, I use the bow in front of my face for cover.. No fast moves and the bow don't get drawn unless there is a shot... I never draw when there behind brush or facing me unless they are moving fast and for sure will give an opportunity shortly after the draw. Also NEVER call to a deer looking in your direction, he will pin you right to your exact location in the tree. only call, if you must call, when he is looking away.
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Dan,

Most of the time, the deer will be coming "toward" me with their eyes facing somewhat in my direction. I can generally see their eyes. Are you holding off on drawing until you can't see their eyes? I have talked to guys who say they always wait until they are in the blind spot behind a deer before they make a move.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:30 pm

I take the 1st good shot presented... Most of the time I can see there eyes, most of the time they don't see me, but when they do, they generally stop for a second and give a great shot... If you pull back when they are behind something they might stop and not come out for 5 minute... They might hear you pull the bow back and freeze... To much can go wrong.
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks Dan,

I'll give this a try on September 11th (Maryland opening day). I typically stand with by back AWAY from the tree and this may be the main thing that what was getting me picked off.
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Really emphasizes the importance of shooting a draw weight that you're comfortable pulling back slowly and smoothly, and that you can hold steady at full draw comfortably for a reasonable amount of time. Shooting a lot in the summer and throughout the season, and practicing in a way that strengthens the shooting muscles both help this.

Last summer before going to Colorado for elk I shot more than I ever have. I also made certain games of shooting, such as shooting one arrow first thing in the morning from an unknown distance (out my 'master' bathroom window, upstairs...) - But to add a twist, I held the draw for 60 seconds with my eyes closed, then had to release the arrow within 3 seconds of opening them.

It's a random example, but any kind of visualization during practice, and practicing your draw going right into your anchor point will both make you more effective when it comes time to make the shot.

Dan did this really quickly on the shot in the episdoe currently on the hunting beast TV link. If the buck hesitates because he heard you draw, ideally you're anchored and ready to let it fly.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:00 pm

I learned the most from closing the deal on gobblers. Deer, out of a stand are pretty easy in comparison.

If I have good cover and steady wind, I have the bow pointed to where the best possible shot will be presented after the deer has to pass behind a visual barrier allowing me to draw.

If I do not have good cover or fickle winds, I will have the bow pointed towards first possible shot even if not optimal. If the deer is continuing to improve shot angle as it walks I will trace it slowly with the bow. There are only 3 things that can happen, he will see me, smell me or reach the spot with the best shot. If he locks up early I draw straight back slowly and let it rip. if he locks up early and your bow is not aimed at him you are toast 9 times out of 10.

I would be very careful trying to move according to their eyes. They can turn their head in an instant, they have a large line of sight and their ability to pick up movement with their peripheral vision is uncanny.

I think the absolute most important factor is visualizing this before it take place. Look at each possible trail, shooting lane etc. play it out in your mind. Draw the bow and know how your body has to be positioned to make any possible shot to any shooting lane you have. You will be surprised how little branches come out of nowhere and touch the top of your bow or your head in different positions. Get all that out of the way before the moment of truth.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:08 pm

PK_ wrote:I learned the most from closing the deal on gobblers. Deer, out of a stand are pretty easy in comparison.

If I have good cover and steady wind, I have the bow pointed to where the best possible shot will be presented after the deer has to pass behind a visual barrier allowing me to draw.

If I do not have good cover or fickle winds, I will have the bow pointed towards first possible shot even if not optimal. If the deer is continuing to improve shot angle as it walks I will trace it slowly with the bow. There are only 3 things that can happen, he will see me, smell me or reach the spot with the best shot. If he locks up early I draw straight back slowly and let it rip. if he locks up early and your bow is not aimed at him you are toast 9 times out of 10.

I would be very careful trying to move according to their eyes. They can turn their head in an instant, they have a large line of sight and their ability to pick up movement with their peripheral vision is uncanny.

I think the absolute most important factor is visualizing this before it take place. Look at each possible trail, shooting lane etc. play it out in your mind. Draw the bow and know how your body has to be positioned to make any possible shot to any shooting lane you have. You will be surprised how little branches come out of nowhere and touch the top of your bow or your head in different positions. Get all that out of the way before the moment of truth.

That about covers it :clap:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:28 pm

If your standing remember that it's easier to twist your body towards your bow arm. Meaning if your right handed it's easier to move your upper body to the left. So set your feet up/point your toes more to the right. Of where you expect to get the first chance. Hard for me to explain.
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:09 pm

The worst is when they surprise you in close passing on your right. I've been forced to watch a deer or two walk harmlessly past because I couldn't hear them and was focused on another area.
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Has anyone used snow camo in a stand to avoid being silhouetted?

BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:08 pm

I've worn Vertigo Grey for several years. During the day, it works great. Low light, you're susceptible to being spotted. I think the grey reflects UV in low light, shows up similar to how blues would for a deer's eyesight.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:20 pm

I try to setup so deer are passing on my left. Whenever possible I shoot sitting. Most guys prefer to stand, but I am more motionless while sitting. And I am more accurate from a tree stand while sitting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:41 pm

I just started checking my stuff with a black light. Amazing what glows. I had parts of my cold season camo that really stood out. I would add that the DDW UV killer did not work. ATSko did.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”