Logging road

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

attackone

Logging road

Unread postby attackone » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:50 pm

Options on older logging roads, anyone hunt on them

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Ghost Hunter

Re: Logging road

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:03 pm

How old of logging area you talking about?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Well some of the ones that i hunt are pretty old and others our 5-8 years old

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:33 pm

The logging roads are a good place for trail cams. They travel them frequently during the summer time. The rest depends on contours, transitions between cutovers an open woods, food sources an bedding.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:33 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:The logging roads are a good place for trail cams. They travel them frequently during the summer time. The rest depends on contours, transitions between cutovers an open woods, food sources an bedding.

I agree.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:42 pm

I killed my two biggest archery bucks in PA off old logging roads that cut just below doe bedding and connected buck bedding. Bucks also bed right on the logging roads where the hills are real steep. Find one that runs right along the top of where a hillside drops off real steep with thick stuff just above it, hunt it when it is on the leeward side, during the rut, especially midday.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:55 pm

Find one that is w3here you would expect buck travel in daylight and where it makes it easier for a buck to travel and they will t6ravel them if people are not walking it... I have hunted logging roads along the thermal tunnel in hill country during cruise phase with good results.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:30 am

Yea if logging roads are in a travel corridor anyway they really funnel movement.

I have set up on logging roads that were probably 80-100 years old in hill country....as long as they are not choked with brush everything likes to walk up and down them which can be good and bad. Hikers, horsebackriders, 4-wheelers, small game hunters all like to walk logging roads to. I tend to avoid old public land logging roads.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:50 am

I reme4mber a hunt in Sauk county on some public land where I went in at noon during rut and was setting my stand up over a logging road and looked down to see a nice 10 point walking up the road within easy bow range, if my bow was not sitting on the ground 10 feet from him... :lol:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:42 am

Bucks use them steady in the northwoods, like Dan mentioned for daylight hunting you need to be way off on your own where no one else is going to travel. Otherwise even with traffic they use them all time at night, a good way to setup a cam to take inventory of your area.
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Good Thread!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Like was said use will vary but I've found some to be awesome...

Like was said sometimes they'll bed on it if it works for them...

Others its travel corridor...

Heck I do well on periodically used ATV trails..I can't tell you the number of deer I've piled up on ATV trails...I betcha the majority of my deer were killed while inwas on or really near an ATV trail or the deer was..that includes flintlock/gun/bow and deer coming from pushes etc..

Deer are lazy and theyll use the path of least resistance just like most everything..usually that's a nice ATV trail or logging road..

daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:11 am

Where i hunt in actually fools one that was on the 1/3 side of a hill it was rondomly blocked off in sections by huge falling trees. The way I was going I found very little sign of deer movement. But as I got farther down the trail my lft side I found 3 beds. 2 of them actually had the remains of dead deer in them but no antless i could find. My right side was a pretty good drop off. As I passed the beds that's where I really found some trails and prints and droppings..it's hard to set up on that side because it turns into private..I have to find a way to approach that side because my only way would be to come from the bottom up. And hug the side of posted land.

daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:57 am

daveynewman wrote:Where i hunt in actually fools one that was on the 1/3 side of a hill it was rondomly blocked off in sections by huge falling trees. The way I was going I found very little sign of deer movement. But as I got farther down the trail my lft side I found 3 beds. 2 of them actually had the remains of dead deer in them but no antless i could find. My right side was a pretty good drop off. As I passed the beds that's where I really found some trails and prints and droppings..it's hard to set up on that side because it turns into private..I have to find a way to approach that side because my only way would be to come from the bottom up. And hug the side of posted land.

My quick typing from my phone is horrible lol

attackone

Unread postby attackone » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:14 am

i think just about most of the areas that i hunt have a fair amount of logging roads in them, i seem to have some success but its mainly just does and little bucks.....i find alot of scrapes and rubs on the roads but still believe that 95% of them are night activity, but alot of that might be due to me since i use the logging roads as access into the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”