Inside corners

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Inside corners

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:46 pm

When hunting inside corners, how far inside the woods do you normally hunt? Do u stick owe to the edges of more inside the woods?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
rizzo999
500 Club

Re: Inside corners

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:02 pm

When and where I hunted them I began hunting the field edge and saw mostly does/fawns. When I settled in 50-80 yds in I took a 3.5 yr old 8 ptr one year and the next a 2.5 yr old 8. It should be noted that topography had something to do with it also.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Kinda funny you mention inside corners. I was just reading Mapping trophy bucks earlier when a tstorm hit town! Jumped on the phone to check the radar and got distracted on here.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:47 pm

I generally hunt as far inside the woods as it takes for a buck to feel safe from the stand that is on the field edge(I rarely find an inside corner that doesn't have a stand)… exact distance depends on how thick the woods are.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:12 am

I like to climb inside far enough to be in the thicker area but close enough that I can shoot towards the field but not to it. On the other hand if it's a standing corn field I want to be able to shoot to the corn as I've watched deer walk that transition many times

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:24 am

On inside corners you will often see heavy trails right around the corner and sometimes coming out into the field. Pay them little attention if you are looking for a good buck. Go in 40-80 yards and you generally find fainter trails, those are the parallel trails (sort of parallel to the field) that big bucks in particular will take through the area cruising. Every situation is a little different of course. If in doubt, go deeper is my rule of thumb.

Around here big bucks don't get big by walking right around tight inside corners. Like PK said every nice looking inside corner has someone else's stand in it.

I used to think I needed to cover the field edge but generally not any more. I probably can count on one hand the number of decent bucks I have seen walking along field edges. They are almost always deeper cruising.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:02 am

Where I hunt every inside corner has a treestand or tower blind in it. We very rarely see a mature buck using them. Alot of immature bucks get shot from those set ups. The big ones we see are out in the middle of big open fields mostly running from fence row to fence row.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”