What to do when deer bed where they feed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

grangger

What to do when deer bed where they feed

Unread postby grangger » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:32 am

After reading a lot of good info on this site about hunting over food sources, i went out and scouted some oak flats near where i live in West Va. Sure enough, the dear were feeding on the acorns. I was excited until i realized every tree dropping acorns had deer beds rite under the tree or nearby. What now? Do you bump the deer out as you go in and get set up and wait for them to come back? thanks for any help

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What to do when deer bed where they feed

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:46 am

Most likely the beds your seeing under the oak trees are "night beds" which are used after deer feed. They bed in the daylight in specific spots for specific reasons. That does not mean there can't be an oak tree near the bucks bed, but most of the time big bucks travel from bed to food in the evening. I generally don't hunt right over the food, rather I prefer to get as close to bedding as possible to catch day time movement.
grangger

Unread postby grangger » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:04 am

Dan, i always appreciate your input,thanks. And thanks again for putting together the best hunting site ever! What about younger bucks and does. Aren't they more likely to bed right next to a food source? If so, how do i set up and hunt them?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:15 am

grangger wrote:Dan, i always appreciate your input,thanks. And thanks again for putting together the best hunting site ever! What about younger bucks and does. Aren't they more likely to bed right next to a food source? If so, how do i set up and hunt them?

Young bucks and does do sometimes bed closer to the food in not so great spots. Sometimes its hard to set up without bumping them... In those cases I go in early, bump them, and let it settle back down. Personally, I don't target young bucks and does, that don't mean I would never shoot one, but it means I target the best and take the lesser if one comes in if so I desire... Hunting the best buck bedding areas should offer you plenty of kill opportunity's at lesser deer without actually targeting them. If your limited to does only, I would hunt right over the food and still, if you bump one or two, oh well...
grangger

Unread postby grangger » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:40 am

Thanks,Dan! Just the kinda input i was looking for and more!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”