Guilty or not guilty of taking a buck illegally?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Diid the kid take the buck illegally?

The buck was taken illegally
40%
The buck was taken legally
60%

Total votes: 99
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Guilty or not guilty of taking a buck illegally?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:18 pm

The other thread got me to thinking about this.

A friend of mines son was going to college in Wisconsin. He graduated college and was living (with his girl friend) and working in Wisconsin. Kind of like young kids do he kept his Iowa drivers license and his car plates were from Iowa, never got a Wisconsin drivers license or plates. His banking and e-checks were deposited in Iowa.

His uncle invites him to go bow hunting in Iowa. The guy kills a huge 8 point buck gross scores right at 180 (pictured). Then the nightmare starts. Someone turns him in for illegally hunting in Iowa as a Wisconsin resident. The DNR goes to the Taxidermist and confiscates the rack. He writes the kid up for illegally taking a trophy buck in Iowa. The kid hires a lawyer and it goes to court. Is the kid guilty or not guilty. I know the answer and will post up the answer later on.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ryan
500 Club

Re: Guilty or not guilty of taking a buck illegally?

Unread postby Ryan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Do you know if the address on his license was from his parents house who still resided in Iowa?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Ryan wrote:Do you know if the address on his license was from his parents house who still resided in Iowa?

He never changed any of that. I think the law requires you to obtain a Wisconsin drivers license within 60 days.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:11 pm

I thought Iowa was a sanctuary area?

:whistle:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Was he filing resident or non-resident taxes? In which state? Was he paying resident or non-resident tuition? Was he intending to move back to IA? How long was he in WI after graduation? Etc. If it was illegal I'm sure he knew and just wanted a coveted IA archery tag. Did he have resident licenses in WI (fishing/hunting)? I'll be curious to find out. I do feel bad for the guy in a way, unless he's been getting resident privs in two states, then I'd say he just didn't think he'd ever get caught.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:22 pm

I feel bad for him, bit i'd say the buck was poached. He was out of college and living in WI......
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Double dipping got him caught to some level...

Same thing is done a million times with the flybirds going to Florida every year for the winter.
Trying to beat the system/taxes, etc...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
nater

Unread postby nater » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:36 pm

I've had a couple of similar licensing situations in my life. Headed them off by calling a conservation officer or license center before buying any licenses or stepping foot in the woods, and got responses in writing so I had documentation.

I don't know the individual's intentions, but it sure sounds to me he knew he'd be operating in a gray area and didn't do due diligence to figure out the correct action first. He's at least guilty of that.

It's not that hard to dial up a CO/Game Warden and ask some questions, especially if it's BEFORE you've done something that might be questionable. Game and fish rules can be really complex and a lot of non-law enforcement officers try to clarify them on the internet or elsewhere. Go to the guy/gal who will actually enforce them in your area and you'll get the only clarification that matters.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:59 pm

Once he graduated it was illegal to hunt Iowa as a resident. I had a similar situation going to college in michigan, once I graduated started patina nr fees to hunt wisconsin.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:26 pm

Did he ever buy Wisconsin tags?

What type tag did he buy? Res or non?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:34 pm

If it's his parents property and he lived there before I don't see anything wrong with it . As tiny as our states are it's very common for people to spend a majority of their time out of state for college and jobs. I live in Tennessee but work in a Louisiana every week because that's where I can make enough to keep my bills paid. I don't see anything wrong with hunting back home as long as he followed that states hunting laws. If he was on public land hopefully he purchased tags.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:43 pm

I'd say not guilty. If he never officially changed his state of residency, he's still an Iowa resident. Did he file any tax forms?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Guilty. You can't double dip. Either cheap WI resident tuition or plan on giving up IA hunting for 3+ years. I'm sure he would have opted to buy a legal IA tag if it was affordable and an option.

Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Zap wrote:Did he ever buy Wisconsin tags?

What type tag did he buy? Res or non?

Question that first entered my mind, was his Iowa tag a non resident tag?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Its each person's responsibility to know and follow the laws, rules and regs. When people find loopholes and cheat the system, this just invites the creation of more laws, rules, and regs.

If he graduated in May, then that is plenty of time to act ahead of time and get things in order. He failed to do this. My vote was illegal.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”